Is it sacrilege to modify an early highway one telecaster ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Vinnie1971, Sep 12, 2019.

1. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Just a thought...In the late ‘70s EVERYONE knew CBS guitars would, “never be collectable”..

Matthias, coolidge and mcfm2n like this.
  2. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

They aren't, but people still collect them anyway. The *only* good thing about my mid-'70s Fender Telecaster Custom was the WRHB pickup... and those *are* collectable.

3. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Mod it. Especially with a reversable mod. Life is short. You need to get back to the playing part. That is where the soul satisfaction comes from.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Flaneur and Vinnie1971 like this.
  4. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

A steel base plate does not reflect the magnetic field back towards the strings. Magnetic field lines intersect the plate (both brass and steel) and this interacts with the field, distorting it but the field is not being reflected back. They distort the field quite differently as one is ferrous and the other non-ferrous metal with different conductivity. This is metal detector technology territory. The base plate is stationary and does not move within the magnetic field vs the strings which move within the field and generate the guitar signal so that's something to consider. Now a steel base plate could enhance the magnetic field strength much the same way guitar amp transformers around wound around a stack of steel plates which may be the effect you are seeing with steel plates. To what degree is uncertain.

Probably endless opportunities to experiment with base plate mods. Clean steel base plate vs one treated to form a heavy layer of rust. Sandwiching different base plate metals together. Circles or washers of a different metals under the pickup pole pieces stacked on a steel or brass base plate. Shape is a factor with magnetic fields, its all about how the magnetic field lines intersect and at what angle. A flat circle of metal vs a flat washer vs a more 3D object like a comfort band wedding ring for example all produce distinctly different effects on the magnetic field. Think in 3D.

I have dug 10's of thousands of metal objects metal detecting. Pretty much every conceivable type, shape, and alloy of metal. One high end detector I use converts the effects on the magnetic field into musical tones so over thousands of these things I have come to know how different metals and shapes sound. For example take a gold or silver ring, sometimes the ground freezing will expand and break the solder joint on the ring, now you have a ring shaped object but with a small air gap at the solder joint, that drastically effects how the magnetic field interacts with this object.

It would be cool to experiment with base plates, but then simply switching to a hotter or milder pickup would have a much larger effect by some magnitude.

Vinnie1971 likes this.
  5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Exactly my point.. the “experts” can talk all day, but the fact is people who want what they want ( or can afford) pay serious money for those and other “ junk” instruments. I have had requests for photos of solder joints on $200 Korean Squiers, averaged people who want to play the game need a entry point, as things get bought up that point changes. I would tread gently w/ any US branded guitar, 5-10 years down the road, you may be repenting at leasure for your haste today..

bblumentritt, mcfm2n and Vinnie1971 like this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

And they're still worth - how much?

A lot of those have been discarded - or maybe should be discarded. The very reason some people are trying to tease more money out of the sale of them is, a lot have been eliminated. I am not certain at all that CBS era Fenders won't fall away in the future.

bblumentritt likes this.
  7. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

It's your instrument do what you want with it.

If you're worried about the mod's devaluing it, do mod's that are reverse-able.

Vinnie1971 likes this.
  8. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 TDPRI Member

Here it is looking pretty roadworn, it’s been a gigging guitar for 15 years by the last owner.

I’m thinking a bit of wood filler, superglue and localised translucent red on that really big gouge to touch it in. It looks worse in real life than in the photos.

Im considering stripping it back to the poly sealer coat and refinishing it in clear red or butterscotch though. I don’t like relics, but this is an honest heavily gigged guitar and I quite like the overall patina, just not that big gash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Very cool. I'd keep it as is, but I like the worn look. Nice it's honest wear.

Vinnie1971 likes this.
  10. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 TDPRI Member

Thanks
    It does have a gash like a bear tried to play it. I’d like to repair that bit.

[​IMG]

I’ve repaired finishes locally before very successfully and I’ve done it too look like a worn patina. this one has lots of touch ups, and they are barely noticeable;
    [​IMG]

Bellacaster likes this.
  11. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Those mods are minor and reversable.I was scared you wanted to paint it lime green and install a Floyd Rose.

Vinnie1971 likes this.
  12. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 TDPRI Member

Lol!!!

I’m not even changing the pots or pickups. Yes totally reversible- this version of the JD switching but I think the back plate of the switch should face the pickups so the pickup wires can actually enter the control cavity :

[​IMG]

sonny wolf likes this.
  13. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

There is no reason at all not to do the mods you are contemplating. Or anything else you want to do with it. The 'preservation of value'- is a sterile concept to attach to musical instruments. Make it better. Make it as good as it can be- for your personal needs.

14. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

If you love the Jerry D thing, put in a Broadcaster type pickup, along with your other mods. You won't be sorry.....;)

Vinnie1971 likes this.
  15. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 TDPRI Member

I got a broadcaster type pickup in my telebird- that’s an awesome pickup!

16. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 TDPRI Member

Edit ————
    I think the pickups are highway one
    The bridge is wrapped in white string and measures 6.2k
    The neck just over 7.1k in the guitar so allowing for 10%. That’s lower than expected.

I thought highway ones are much hotter than that. These seem more 50s Tele kind of output I think ? Could be wrong. I’ll pull them out tomorrow and see what visual clues there are.

The bridge had not got a base plate, so I’ve removed the bosses added a threaded copper / steel base plate. It was advertised as copperised brass - it looks copper, but it’s magnetic.

Whatever they are they sound really good. Full and rounded with a lot of twang and bite.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  17. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I have modified just about every guitar I have ever owned. In the case of the more expensive ones, I will build an entirely new loaded pickguard and keep the original "original". Why? I don't know because I never sell them. Insurance I guess.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.