Is it sacrilege to mod a custom shop Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ReggiedaDog, Aug 10, 2019.

1. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

A '67 with '51 pickups already sounds like a mutt, to me. If I ran across a listing for that guitar, I'd probably assume it had been modded. I'm thinking you might actually increase it's value with a "vintage correct" set of CS 60's pickups.

I also thought the advice regarding pickup height was good. As far as getting the same snarl as your other guitars, try turning up your amp until you get a similar breakup. If you're swapping guitars mid-set and don't want to mess with the amp, use a boost with the tele. I personally prefer the sound of vintage wound pickups into a cooking amp over hot pickups at lower amp settings.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

2,000 pounds sterling?

You paid more for one FCS guitar than I paid for two of them, and mine are both new old stock from the store, bought and returned.

3. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

No you are not nuts. DO IT!

You'd be foolish not to mod it. A guitar is a tool. A vehicle that allows you to channel your creativity and passion.

Therapy. Treatment for the madness. A temporary cure for the sickness that affects our world.

MOD IT AND PLAY THE HELL OUT OF IT!

4. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

It's a Custom Shop, which you presumably got in order to spec the guitar exactly the way you wanted it. You have it. Why stop now?

5. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

No I bought it second hand, it was only 6 months old, so it wasn’t my spec.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

1. Pickups are an easily reversed mod if you ever decide to sell it or just want to change it back
    2. It's your guitar, do with it what you will - make it sound/play how you like it
    3. I think people get too caught up in resale value; if it's a great guitar, how likely are you to ever sell it anyway? I fully expect my one expensive guitar to get sold for way less than what it's worth, because when I pass away, my daughter won't have a clue about its value. I've already gotten my use and value out of it many times over anyway.
    4. It's your guitar, do with it what you will - make it sound/play how you like it :cool:

7. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Or try stacked humbuckers first.

8. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

9. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

You can get ten Squiers for that so what is your point? 2,000 pounds is roughly $2,600. Probably a good price for a custom. Different guitars go at different price points.

10. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

But it's true!! IN fact REAL Collectors look even at the solder joints. They can NOT be re-soldered ( and that is very easy to see) , that is a modified instrument. The pickups may be swapped, so there is NO guarantee that they are the originals. They could be copies or after market stuff..

Did you try and bring both pickups closer to the strings? Just 1/2 turn of the adjustment screw will make a HUGE difference. Do the same adjustment on top and bottom of each of the pickups to start off with.

11. Echo79

Echo79 TDPRI Member

It’s sacrilege not to set up YOUR guitars the way YOU want.

12. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I'm not a good example of a custom shop guitar customer.

I would never pay that much money for a bolt on slab guitar.

But,

IMO Changing pickups doesn't really register as a "mod" to me, at least not one that would effect resale (presuming you put it back to stock or included the orginal pickups with the sale.)

A "mod" that devalues to me would be: adding a bigsby, or routing out the traditional pup for a humbucker, or adding stickers/branding your name/etc.

13. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

It’s good that you have your flame suit on because you will burn in hell if you change those nocaster pickups.

That CS Tele is a holy instrument made by the Lords at Fender.

Better not to play it at all than make any changes and break the “Thou shall not mod your CS Tele” commandment. I think it’s number eleven. And yes, the Pope will find out if you mod that guitar.

God have mercy on your soul.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    ReggiedaDog likes this.
  14. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

It's your guitar, go for it...

15. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Is it sacrilege to mod a CS Tele? Yes, of course it is.

16. Danz

Danz TDPRI Member

You are not stripping the finish or installing a Floyd Rose and EMGs, you are simply replacing pickups. Have a professional do it for you and keep the stock pickups safe somewhere.

If someday you want to sell it, as long as you didn't ruin the electronics nobody will bat an eye because you've tried a pair of pickups.

17. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Greg Koch modded his CS Tele. Swapped the hand wound Josafina pups for a set of his Fluence pups. If it were me tho....I would make sure to get everything right on a CS guitar before I purchased, so I wouldn't have to make a decision like this.

18. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

It ain't a Holy Relic.....it's just stuff. Your stuff. Preserving resale value is the most sterile philosophy to apply to a musical instrument.

Ron R likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.