Is it sacrilege to mod a custom shop Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ReggiedaDog, Aug 10, 2019.

1. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

So I’m putting on my flame suit here.

I’ve got a great trio of guitars, a CS 62 strat with the hot poblano pickups, a CS 67 Tele with Nocaster 51 pickups and a 335 with Bare knuckle P90s installed.

However of the three the Tele is getting used less and less, and I think it’s because my ears and playing style have got used to the snarl of the strat and 335. The nocaster pickups just seem a bit polite and I find it hard to get a tone that snaps and cuts through.

It’s seems a shame as I love the feel and looks if the guitar, and I’ve always been predominantly a Tele player but lately I’m starting to wonder if my style is changing.

I’ve been thinking about swapping the pickups out for something with a bit more bite, but never made these sort of changes to a guitar that is so expensive. For the price I could get for it used I could buy a Performer Tele and mod it to my hearts content.

Has anyone else ever made changes to a guitar like this?

Whilst on the subject, I also have a lovely aftermarket double bound body in relic fiesta red. I was thing if changing the body over for a while as well, like a “wash and wear”

Am I nuts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Pickups are an easy change. If you like how the guitar plays but want a different sound change the pickups. Keep the original pickups in case you decide to change them you can return it to how it was originally built.

Your guitar your choice.

3. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

If it makes you happy
    It can't be that baaaad.

Until you try to sell it.

4. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Well I’ll keep everything and change it back if that ever happened.

5. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If you mod any guitar there is a 50% chance that it will be better or worse .

6. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Custom Shop guitars are still made, so treating it like an old Tele doesn't make sense to me. As suggested above, I'd just make sure to do a proper job or pay someone to do it if you aren't confident about it, and stash the original pickups and keep them with the guitar.
    As I read, it occurred to me maybe you just need to crank the amp up one or two notches, or use a boost for the Tele either of which could get you volume similar to a humbucker. If you don't do something and just plug it in to the same rig, it's definitely not going to have as much output/volume.

Wildcard_35 and rickthescot like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You can always reverse the mod. Go for it. I would swap necks, pickups etc between all my tele's if I was on a mission to end up with my ultimate guitar. The cost is irrelevant if the other option is to have a bunch of sub par but expensive tele's.
    Custom Shop means little to me. just means a random person laid hands on it and a premium was charged.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Nelg, scrimmer, Vibrolux59 and 3 others like this.
  8. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Personally, I'd get another Tele and modify til your heart's content. Decide later if the CS is worth keeping. I don't modify the high end stuff and is why I have several Teles that I built with the pickups and necks that I want.

JL_LI and simoncroft like this.
  9. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

Always good to hear the scientific view.

10. ReggiedaDog

ReggiedaDog Tele-Meister

That’s a very good point. Im
    Changing my pedal board around at the moment to include a few new boost/Od oedals and won’t make any decisions until I hear the results.

11. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

PU change is easily reversed so have fun. I must say I have some Rio Grande PUs that are truly amazing.

12. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Fuggit, they're only pickups. Pick another set you might like and throw them in.

8trackmind likes this.
  13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Boost it first with some judicious use of a Boss GE-7 or similar. Just use it for the Tele. Try it for a bit before you go for surgery...

Wildcard_35, alnico357 and richiek65 like this.
  14. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

I switched out the pickups on my CS Tele for some Don Mare pickups and I couldn't be happier. I've still got the original PUs but I'm never selling this guitar. It is my number one.

The only mod that might effect the value is if you start routing the body for humbuckers - no going back from that. If it sounds good with single coils I'd just try some new ones. If you're planing on Humbuckers I, might try it on a less expensive project guitar.

nocastermike and Ricky D. like this.
  15. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior TDPRI Member

Don't worry about swapping pickups at all, do it as much as you want. If you like how it plays but not how it sounds, you should experiment. Unless you're re-routing or something.

8trackmind likes this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Modding the Custom Shop, even if you put the original bits back, is a modded Custom Shop and a new buyer won't want to pay what you think it's worth.
    Change the pickup heights dramatically up or down and try that for a while. Keep it stock or sell it off.

Get a Harley Benton and go mod crazy. Have you seen the dark paisley T-style?

17. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

I don't sell guitars, do what you want.
    (I have aftermarket pickups in a CS strat and it's better for it)

18. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

You want a real CS? Get the exact neck & body you prefer from Warmoth and build it up with whatever parts you want. Then change them, swap them, modify the thing mercilessly, inlay pix of your favorite Hollywood or political heroes, spray them with whatever crap you find at yard sales, change them back, dip the whole thing in copper paint, relic it with a 12-gauge and tire chains, saw off the horns, install 20 push-pull pots - all with the knowledge that (1) you started off with parts that are at least as good as any Custom Shop hyped-up ripoff for 1/4 the cost, and (2) you haven't hurt the value one bit since any build-it-urself has no resale value. It's yours to keep forever - no selloff regrets on TDPRI 15 years later. There - hope this helps!

jannodude, voskarp, Deeve and 2 others like this.
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, you are nuts ... because you bought a CS in the first place. Sell it, get an MIM and have fun exploring different components.

ReggiedaDog, Deeve and TeleTown like this.
  20. Chief101

Chief101 TDPRI Member

Almost every great guitar on the planet has been modified to suit the owner/player. Make it your own, make it awesome-er. It’s not a collectors item ... if you love it otherwise, do it.

tery and 8trackmind like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.