1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is it possible to use 2 different cap for each pickups?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by aequitas, Jul 23, 2020.

1. aequitas

aequitas TDPRI Member

I'm wondering if it's possible to use different cap for neck and bridge pickups. For example, 0.047 with neck pickup and 0.1 with bridge pickup.

I'm not knowledgeable in electronics and would be grateful if you can help.

thanks!

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The most practical way to do it is with an additional tone control. Drill a hole in the control plate between the volume and tone pots and add the 3rd pot and knob there.

[​IMG]

Another way would be to use one vol and one tone, but have a push-pull on the tone control to select between caps, e.g., in for one cap and out for the other.

Any scheme like this you use with a standard Tele 3-way switch puts both pickups in parallel when in the middle position, and this sums the capacitance of both caps with both tone controls acting on the overall sound of the guitar.

There are other options when using a different switch, such as a Superswitch.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Collin D Plonker and moosie like this.
  3. Bearzooka

Bearzooka TDPRI Member

4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah two pots, you could switch it I suppose but then you'd have to choose if both pickups were active.

5. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My question is why you want to do this?
    There may be another way to accomplish the same thing. If the bridge is too twangy you might lower the pickup. If the neck is too muddy perhaps raise it
    What is your goal?

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

My brute force solution to a dull Tele neck pickup is disconnect it from the tone completely. Done this a few times.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You can do that but I'd suggest smaller caps, a .047uf goes to mud with a short rotation of the pot, and a .1uf would barely give you 1/8 turn before volume drop and total mud.

Maybe .022uf neck and .047uf bridge.
    Or .01uf and .047.
    I have one Esquire with the switch changing the caps between (IIRC) .01uf and .0022uf.
    Those two caps get me usable tones for the full rotation of the tone pot.
    If you like really dulled tone you might get a full turn with a .047uf on the bridge pickup, but I just can't imagine playing with a .1uf and the pot rolled back all the way.

8. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

The .028, .033 & .039 uf are also good options. Often the pickup outputs and the tone pot taper characteristic determines what works.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.