Is it me or are 70's teles less than desireable?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by pgrace245, Jan 3, 2011.

1. pgrace245

pgrace245 Tele-Meister

I have to admit that I got caught up in the vintage guitar fad and purchased two semi-vintage teles a 77' w/maple neck and a 78' with a rosewood neck. Neither of them were built real well and both of them were heavy. The 77' was stock and made a MIM tele look like it was built in a custom shop. The neck pocket extended pass the neck the pickups were severly ear piercing and had to roll the tone off a bit to play it. It was totally cool looking with lots of mojo but to make that dog hunt I would had to of switched pots/pickups (not a big fan of those either) which would have some what lessen the value. Now I have a mark jenny relic and a MIJ 68' beck tele and I'm twangin' away. Did I get a few bad examples or are the 70's teles really nothing special other than there age? Why would anyone drop $250 on a late 70's tele pickup when you can get a voodoo or blackguard set instead? :rolleyes:

2. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Not all 70s Teles are Bad...but as a general rule I avoid Pretty much any Fender...Gibson or Martin made during that decade...and of course all the Polyester Clothing......;)

3. telemasher

telemasher TDPRI Member

But when you were growing up back then this was top of the line. There weren't 40 or 50 strats or teles, just maple or rosewood necks. Me being a lefty had to pay 100% up front to order one and when it came in if you didn't like it , tough... And about those shrill pickups, the pickups are fine its those 1 meg pots they used. All my guitars are early 70's vintage, Fenders and Gibsons. I've changed the pickups in two of six guitars and pots in one, I wouldn't trade for any newer guitars... no way, too much mojo.

4. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Just like todays guitars, there are good and bad. And before CNC machine routing, yes neck pockets, bodies and necks varied. You didn't think 50's Teles had great neck pockets did you?

As far a the ugly sounding pup, microphonic?

And yes, some do think the 70's Teles were a dark time in Telecaster history. But I like the one I have, the only complaint is the heavy finish but that the way it was back in the day.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Tele-Meister

The oldtimers that had been in the music biz for a while, had little good to say about the average Fender in the "70s. Quality did seem to take a nose dive for several brands. But as Mellecaster said "that decade...and that polyester".
    Gene Warner
    repairman

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Don't see many of them for sale though...

You hardly ever see a 70s Tele for sale around here, and when you do they want a lot for them, so I guess some folks must like them , or they are just sitting under the bed or in the closet.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Generally, I'd say "yup".
    They are usually heavy, polyurethane coated (body and neck), sloppy neck joint havin',
    microphonic pickup havin', round radius, small fret havin' hunks of @$%&.
    Ever played a 70's Fender maple neck, bent a string and had poly/plastic flake off the fret?
    What more could you ask for?
    If not for 70's Fenders, we would not have the amazing variety of great, comparatively cheap Fenders we have now.
    The players complained, and Fender listened.
    Gibson wised up about the same time (early 80's).

8. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

<---I've got a '74 Custom. The workmanship sucks.

I've replaced the nut, the bridge, the bridge pup, the tuners, two pots and have couple of shims to keep the 3-bolt neck from wiggling.

Other than that, it's all stock.

9. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

There were a fair number of boat anchors made by Fender (and Gibson) in the 70s, but there were also some keepers. I had a '73 Tele that was purely wonderful, and a '77-ish Telecaster Deluxe (the two Wide Range humbucker model) that was damn nice...

Tim

10. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

well yes, maybe....no! deffinate YES!!

The entire reason that the vintage Fender market ever even developed was that people who had owned 50's and 60's teles that swapped them for a "NGD" quickly cried the blues after about a week with the lovely "new CBS Fender"

They have become collectors items (much to my amazement) but I ain't goin' back there!!!

Bill Hullett

11. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of Fenders in the 70's were embarrassing. BUT, the reason I got into Teles at all was a nagging memory of baseball bat necks with big frets... then I stumbled into a couple 70s Telecasters at GC, and they had those huge necks with big frets, and they were wonderful. But just stupid expensive.

I'd never pay the premium, but my Baja comes as close to that 70s vibe as I'm going to find, in a production guitar. Maybe someday I'll get it re-fretted with those big frets I remember!

12. pgrace245

pgrace245 Tele-Meister

What made me decide to sell my "vintage collection" was my mark jenny relic. It's a blackguard replica made by MJT with a Voodoo TE-50 bridge pup. The tone in my MJT relic did tonal laps around my 70's teles and thought whats the point of having such an expenisve piece of junk sounding tele. Then it dawned on me...hmm perhaps I could cash in and get me one of them funny yeller nocaster relic's. But now I'm thinking what if my $700 MJT tele out twangs my nocaster...well theres only one way to find out. I have no doubt there were/are some awesome twang machine 70's teles out there. I just couldnt find any.

13. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Since Ole Fuzzy is no longer here to defend the 70's, I'll take a stab...

'em Teles that uz made by Fenner in the 70's wore jus' like enny udder geetar from then. Sum wore gud, sum wore great, and sum not so gud... yew jes haf to look for them gud ens

:D

14. TXAg14

TXAg14 Tele-Meister

:) Nice job.

And I'm no vintage market connoisseur, so I can only speak for myself, but every time I see a Tele from that era, my initial reaction is pretty much always, "Meh." So it's not just you.

15. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

I just hope all the '70s Tele hatin' I see drives the prices back down so I can buy more of 'em!

In all seriousness, though, as has been said before, some were better than others. That's been my experience with '60s Fenders too, though. And many new guitars as well. I love my '76!

16. Schtang

Schtang Tele-Meister

I have had a couple of 70's telecaster, still have one, they are not my favourite telecaster. I have played much better MIM Nashville deluxe teles that sell for a fraction of the price. My favourite Tele ever is a 2008 American Standard (believe it or not).

1978 Tele
    [​IMG]

2008 Ash body Fender Amercian Std Tele
    [​IMG]

17. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

I love 70s teles. Played plenty of good ones. I dream of owning one again someday. The bad ones were bad but the good ones could be fantastic. I have played some nice ones from 72, 74 and a couple of really nice 78 teles. I really want a 70s tele some day. Maybe one of those sexy international color jobs like Capri Orange. Yum!

18. Censport

Censport Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I've watched the prices of 70's Strats and Teles go up in recent years, and the only thing I can figure is that people who are too young to remember the time are feeling nostalgic for it. Not long ago, I saw a teenager at a gas station in a 70's Dodge Dart (a pretty mint one, at least), 70's-style low-rider flared jeans, 70's-style shirt, and 70's-style sideburns. Again, this was a teenager! I couldn't help but laugh a bit. He reminded me of the 50's rockabilly guys that hang out in Yoyogi Park. In Tokyo. Japan. To this day.

I've had a few 70's Strats, and I've experienced moving necks (got a late-80's Schecter Strat with a four-bolt neck that moves too), bent notes and had the poly clear flake off, the sore shoulder from the weight, and the feedback. Still wouldn't mind having a couple of them back, one just because the rough ol' bugger would look cool hanging on the wall. While there were probably some good ones, even the best one I had (a '79) can't compare to any of the later Fenders I have now. Including the two I built.

My '84 MiJ Squier looks like a 70's Strat and has a three-bolt neck like a 70's Strat. But the neck doesn't move (It's tighter than a Scotsman's wallet!), it stays in tune, and it's light. The build quality is off the charts, which is why I've kept playing it for 26 and sold every real 70's Strat I've owned since then. I suspect the new Japanese, Mexican and American reissues of 70's Fenders are much the same: Better than the original.

So... how much did you get for your 70's Teles? :D

19. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

My #1 guitar is, and has been for 30 years, a '76 natural-finish Tele. (It doesn't get any darker than 1976, boys). It is everything you say it is - heavy, sloppy workmanship, thick poly finish. Pretty much everything has been changed on it over the years except the wood, knobs, and bridge plate. My '96 Japanese-made Strat beats it hands down for workmanship and feel (that guitar has a perfect neck, for me, anyway). Just about any Mexican Fender I've played beats the Tele in every way.

My theory is that most of the bad ones have long been burned as firewood, and that only the better ones are still being played. But if I were buying a guitar, and I had a choice between a more-or-less current MIM and a '70s MIA, without being able to try them out, I would automatically go for the MIM. I only play mine because I've played it so long everything else feels wrong. If I had a brain in my head I'd sell it and by a new one.

steven

20. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I guess every generation looks at the past nostalgically at a certain point in their lives. As a penniless kid pressed up against that car show room window or guitar shop window.

For me its probably the Keef thing with that black Tele Custom of his. I remember seeing him on some TV show back when and it stuck. No way could I ever have afforded one nor were my parents ever well off enough to have bought a "real" guitar.

However I eventually managed to buy one -this was a few years back before the Indie guys went mad on em and drove prices crazy- and it's still one of my faves. No it doesn't compare with the Custom Shop output not by a mile but it's got the MOJO that a 37 year old instrument somehow gains jut by reaching middle age.

It's got a warped pickguard and is a bit dinged up here and there, but heck so am I and we're gonna both grow old together!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.