Is it just my area or are larger amps just not selling?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by grolan1, Nov 28, 2018.

1. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A friend picked up a Silverface Twin last year for $400 and it came with a vintage Guild Polara. Twins aren't moving, Supers aren't moving. Heck, even Deluxes aren't moving very fast. Picked up a silverface Deluxe Reverb for $650 this summer. I see more and more players bringing a tiny Quilter or Orange head and small cab to gigs.

2. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Had the amp out this morning, seriously forgot how nice it was and how fantastic it sounds! oh boy...

20181207_065918.jpg

Geo and jim777 like this.
  3. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

Around here Kijiji etc, are filled with old Fender amps:Supers,Twins,etc,Marshall Stacks,Traynors(Canadian Marshall) you can barely give them away.

It is always the same scenario: Buyer lists amp for like 12-1500 bucks. It sits there for months price goes down,down,down-and it still doesn't move.

Everybody that wants a 4x10 or Marshall Stack amp has one or 3 already,and are generally the guys trying the offload them-so those guys aren't buying and the new crop of players has no use for them.

Plus,no one has any money. Better to just hang onto them IMO or take a huge loss.

4. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Well today I let her go, got my asking price and already miss her... fantastic amps.

5. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations!

This entire thread's given me a terrible case of Big Amp Envy. First, because I'd love to give my Twin some company. Second, because here in Australia we'll never see the availability of stock or the low prices in the States.

6. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Most of the people who can truly enjoy an amp like that....are dead, or too old to even want to move it across the house once.

Geo and jim777 like this.
  7. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I NEVER move my Mk IV combo, and that's a 1x12. Thing weighs a ton lol

8. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

After much deliberation...and remembering I’m 62, a disabled vet, and just can no longer justify it, I’m in the process of selling the heavyweights: SF Twin, SF Bandmaster Reverb in. 2-10 cab (in a roadcase, no less), MusicMan RD100 combo, and even the custom Frenzel Super Deluxe head...

Replaced them with a couple of Quilters (Interblock 45, 101 mini), a neo loaded Mojotone Lite 112, and a couple of lighter cabs.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  9. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

I do agree fully. But as I've said before, my band members and I are in our 60's and one of them just turned 70. Yet, we bring our big amps because we like them, are used to them and know how to manage them responsibly without blowing everyone off the dance floor or first four rows of seats. The big amps, even at low volume, just have a fullness, a presence we can't get out of little amps. Been there, tried that! We're not athletes either and yeah, we laugh and groan when we lift our amps two feet or carry them four feet to a cart or dolly. Small price to pay for quality sound that we worked hard to obtain many years ago. To each his own, I guess...but you'll never be able to convince me or any of the working musicians I know, that small amps sound as good or better than the larger ones. Just our own preferences, backaches and happy gigs.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  10. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I agree. We all understand the 'fun' involved in moving the things, and the other advantages of little amps and modellers. But even with my rubbish hearing, I can still tell that there's nothing to compare to the presence and tone of a big amp gently humming along.

As with vinyl, I quietly expect that in future generations there'll be a small but influential set of players who'll come back to big tube amps.

nocastermike likes this.
  11. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thank you for your service Wireline.

I almost bought a Frenzel. They look super cool. Only reason I didnt get it was I got a good deal on a Brunetti. Im loving that amp so that turned out well.

The Bandmaster reverb with a 2x10 sounds super cool. I would love to test drive that rig!

I've been itching to get my hands on a Super Reverb. There are good prices on silverface models. Personally, I think old silver face amps look pretty cruddy. They dont age well. But they are all handwired unless Im mistaken. I wonder about the quality of the speakers though and Im not sure the SFSR would break up like the black face although I really dont know.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    WireLine likes this.
  12. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I've noticed here in Toronto a Hot Rod Deluxe goes for the same price as a Blues Junior now. I know at my age weight becomes an important issue, at least for me.
    I think tube amps sound best when they are turned up a bit, for the levels I play at 15watts sounds better than 40. You don't get quite as much bass, but that's the bass players territory, anyway, IMHO.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  13. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

You pay for tone by the pound. That said I’ve not seen anyone playing small amps at least where we play. Lots of stacks or AC30’s. As long as you have wheels on an amp it should not matter the size. I lug around a 4x10 or 4x12. No complaints here.

Owenmoney likes this.
  14. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Bump.

Ok for about 2 months now I've had my 66 Super Reverb, incredibly mint, listed on the Houston CL for $2000. Not a nibble.

Yesterday I decided I'm keeping the amp. It sounds too nice. But I never got around to taking the ad down.

Today I got a call from a guy in Austin, his 19 year old son saw my ad and wanted the amp for Christmas. I told the dad I decided to keep the amp, but if he wanted to drive down from Austin and pay my $2000 asking price, I would find it in my heart to send the Super Reverb to a good home.

Done deal... Sold the big amp, got my asking price.

I'm gona miss that Super Reverb tho, best amp ever. Oh well... time moves on.

15. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Some days you get to harvest, other days you water the garden.

16. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

WOW, you got pretty lucky big_bend - sold my a week ago that was 100% original and mint (standard servicing) for $1400 and it took awhile to get it sold at that price. Glad you went through with the deal. They are some of the best amps ever made in my mind.

17. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I agree big tone vintage Fender amps are harder to move. Up here in my area too.
    I see results if the big amps are of the rare variety. A 1959 tweed Twin will move. A 1963 Blonde Twin will move. A 1960 Tweed Bassman will move. All reaonably priced. Asking $10,000 for HPTT? It’s likely gonna sit for a long while.

Sadly run of the mill BF & SF larger amps, (among some of the best Fender tones ever created), are slow to sell. Quad Reverbs, Twin Reverbs, Pro-Reverbs. How about a Dual Showman with 2 1x15 JBL cabs. What the heck are ya gunna do with that rig? Sure Jimi had multiples of them at Woodstock. He surely accomplished what an average PA would do today. But he sure looked friggen cool with all those cabs.

Then times evolved to where EVH had walls of dual stacked 4x12 cabs, and 1 was actually plugged in and working. Mic’d.

Today Blundstone footed, bearded hipsters in khaki’s are C.A.F. with a lone mic’d Princeton Reverb on stage.

Times sure have changed.

18. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

yes, you're right.big watts, better bass response.
    But then you're on stage and your bass player will drown out your lows and only your mids and highs will be heared.Happens all the time.
    What you really need is enough watts to get sufficiently clean lows on a stage level.
    Nowadays that's between 15 and 20w.
    Your Super is for outdoor gigs and sits in guitar shops..
    If im playing outdoors i take a small tube amp and a solid state with a big(ish) speaker.both still not as heavy as the Super.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  19. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

yep, Quilter and a good cab is light and great cleanish.take a little tube amp as well.great sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.