Is it just me, or is a Telecaster a fantastic jazz guitar?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Richie Cunningham, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

with Elvis?? ewww!

2. capecoda

capecoda TDPRI Member

It's all in the fingers, excuse if this was already posted-

3. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Meister

Where is the Delete?

4. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Meister

BA9352BD-384D-4555-A1DD-B17877D3360C.jpeg

5. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

I've used my Tele Deluxe for jazz using the neck pick up. I've got Mojotone wide range pups in it.

6. santiago53

santiago53 TDPRI Member

Misty, one of my favorite renditions:

Andre Rock, drlucky and Pajama like this.
  7. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Here's Matthew Stevens who's been playing with Esperanza Spaulding, Walter Smith III/In Common, Teri Lynne Carington and solo albums .... he kicks in here at ~ 6 min. in.

Andre Rock likes this.
  8. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Ted Greene (IMHO) fully mastered the Telecaster for jazz... (and a Deluxe Reverb...)

9. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

You can play jazz just fine on just about any guitar. Even a Jazzmaster!

Andre Rock likes this.
  11. PerFusionist

PerFusionist TDPRI Member

Andre Rock likes this.
  12. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Most any guitar can be a fantastic jazz guitar

Not every Jazz chord or line has to be that muffled blanket over the amp tone

13. Kevin Emmons

Kevin Emmons TDPRI Member

Logged in to say listen to Ed Bickert. Also was going to mention Ted Greene and Bill Frisell. These guys are all stupid great players and really have/had awesome jazz tone with the tele. Ted Greene suggested lowering the pickups all the way down to the wood to get a great jazz tone. I wouldn't argue with him, but I get a fine tone just rolling the tone knob back a bit. Everyone should check out Ed Bickert if they are interested in jazz on a tele. He was extraordinary, one of the all time greats.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Caster Oyl and El Tele Lobo like this.
  14. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, when I'm dancing on the high stings I want some zing!

That Cal Webway likes this.
  15. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Why do we think of hollowbody, archtop guitars as jazz guitars? Mainly because of tradition.

From the beginnings of jazz until after WW2 archtops were the only practical guitars available to jazzers. They were loud enough and punchy enough to be heard in a combo or big band in the pre-electric era, and they were the only electrics available until Leo started mass producing guitars.

For those of us who grew up in the 50s and 60s, our image of a jazz guitarist was Wes, with that big beautiful L-5. Someone starting today might instead be inspired by Julian Lange, Mike Stern, Bill Frisell, or Tim Lerch.

drlucky likes this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

What makes a guitar a fantastic jazz guitar is a fantastic jazz guitarists. There’s a synergy between the musician and his instrument. The musician chooses a guitar capable of producing the sound he has in mind. The sounds his guitar can produce influences the sound he chooses. Back in college in the late 60’s, I was convinced that jazz required an arch top too big around to play comfortably. I’m older (lots) now and wiser (somewhat) and realize that far better musicians than me make beautiful music, jazz, on almost any guitar imaginable. So is a Telecaster a great jazz guitar? Of course, attested to by the large number of great musicians using one. My personal preference is the middle pickup on my Strat. I think differently playing the middle pickup with my thumb than when I play the bridge pickup with a plectrum. That’s Synergy. I have a wide body Gretsch that I use for other things. Not jazz. Access to the upper frets is limited. That’s another thing that makes Telecasters, and Fender solid body guitars in general, great jazz guitars.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Martian and dougstrum like this.
  17. Martian

Martian TDPRI Member

Thanks for posting this video. Ted Greene was a national treasure. I only wish I’d learned about him sooner. His skill, his knowledge and, my god, the tone he got on his telecasters! To me it was perfect. He played other guitars but his teles ruled. For those who don’t about him, check him out. He was something else.

Deadhorse Trav and teletimetx like this.
  18. Deadhorse Trav

Deadhorse Trav TDPRI Member

Not a tele, but, still:

19. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

Is it just me, or is a Telecaster (is) a fantastic jazz guitar?(.)

There, I fixed the title...

A tele, can pretty much do it all. Everyone should own one at least once. :)

20. Caster Oyl

Caster Oyl TDPRI Member

Ed Bickert is one of those great guitarists who has too often ended up relegated to the back of the line, but he's one of my favorites, too. Perhaps it was partly because he was so modest and stuck to playing mostly in the Toronto area. I've long been a huge fan of Jim Hall for taste, tone and creativity and through him, I discovered Bickert, who took over Hall's spot as guitarist with Paul Desmond when Hall was unable to join Desmond's tour in Canada. I read somewhere way back that Hall recommended Ed and I began buying his LPs. Bickert's duets with Don Thompson are priceless. Happily I got lucky when visiting my wife's cousins in Toronto many years ago and, when looking at local music guides, saw that Ed and Don were performing at a local steak house. Saw him live one year and, then when we visited the next year, I got lucky again and saw that marvelous duo perform at another small venue. Ed was playing his old Telecaster through an early Roland Cube 60, the same one I owned at the time. Close your eyes and you'd swear Ed was playing a Gibson ES175, getting a big, sweet round tone. I must mention though, for those who don't know about Ed's well worn Tele, early on, he stuck a humbucker in the neck position.

Those interested in more about Ed Bickert might want to check out this video. I hope the link works.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.