IS IT JUST ME OR HAS EVERYBODY BEEN HYPNOTISED?

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
Do Brits really eat pork and beans , and fried sliced red tomatoes, at breakfast ? My wife's Mother was British, never became a US citizen, but my wife gags at the thought of P&B and fried sliced red tomatoes for breakfast...she never heard of that.
Beans are available but I never eat them. Bean juice and yolk don't mix.

My usual is;
2 rashers Bacon (Belfast), 2 fried Eggs, 1 grilled Tomato,
2 Sausages (1 pork link,1 steak square),
1 slice Black Pudding(Stornoway), 1 slice Haggis,
fried button Mushrooms, 2 Potato Scones.

Washed down with a pot of Yorkshire tea, hot enough to melt steel.

Maximum of 2 days per week. Usually in one of 2 venues, my favourite overlooks Loch Katrine.
1648668899395.jpeg

Most days Porridge and a couple of boiled eggs at home suffices.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Beans are available but I never eat them. Bean juice and yolk don't mix.

My usual is;
2 rashers Bacon (Belfast), 2 fried Eggs, 1 grilled Tomato,
2 Sausages (1 pork link,1 steak square),
1 slice Black Pudding(Stornoway), 1 slice Haggis,
fried button Mushrooms, 2 Potato Scones.

Washed down with a pot of Yorkshire tea, hot enough to melt steel.

Maximum of 2 days per week. Usually in one of 2 venues, my favourite overlooks Loch Katrine.
View attachment 967934

Most days Porridge and a couple of boiled eggs at home suffices.
I'd give it a try.

My wife's cousin is encouraging me to with bicycles start at his place in Luxembourg, stop at family place in Normandy, cross channel and head towards riding and an event he likes in Scotland and maybe go to their cottage in Iceland before it is all over. Maybe I will retire before age 65.

He travels all over the world for his work and feels one of the biggest failings where I live in the US is not enough time off in summer.

:)

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
I'd give it a try.

My wife's cousin is encouraging me to with bicycles start at his place in Luxembourg, stop at family place in Normandy, cross channel and head towards riding and an event he likes in Scotland and maybe go to their cottage in Iceland before it is all over. Maybe I will retire before age 65.

He travels all over the world for his work and feels one of the biggest failings where I live in the US is not enough time off in summer.

:)
I find the holiday allocation the US astonishingly small and weekly hours very long.

Mrs K works for US/Global company for the past 10 years and runs a couple of teams in Europe and the US.
She tells me the disparity on holiday allocation is the cause of much disquiet and resentment across the company because wages, health insurance, pensions and perks are pretty much the same across the teams, irrespective of location.

UK holiday allocation is usually 4 weeks plus 8 days statutory holidays per year.
France has 6 weeks plus 11 days statutory.
US has 2 weeks plus (no idea how many days) statutory.

I imagine if you're travelling far half of those precious 2 weeks are eaten up with jet lag.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
The Workplace has become unrecognizable. We have all but given up on trying to enforce any rules at all. Unless they are related to hurting someones feelings.
If you have ever used a sandblaster in an enclosed space.... you suit up and wear a helmet with breathing assist.... within a few seconds, the room is FULL of dust and you can barely see except for what you are working on.... when you are done, the room is disorienting because there is so much dust in the air. I think work is like that right now, so much dust to settle before we can figure out what the future looks like. Everyone keeps announcing this is the new new and well, this is how this is going to be and it is super premature.

You are spot on. Everyone is avoiding ANY conflict at work and the most outlandish request or complaint is treated as though it is juried and paneled reality and fact.

I'm lucky, my team was always close and we have more frank convos about stuff and our trust levels are high... so, we are operating smoothly even in the insanity, but it won't last forever, at some point, the dust will settle and we'll have a mess to clean up.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Just came back from vacationing at the beach. Here we have beautiful blue skies, the ocean crashing waves, white sand, seabirds, peaceful and serene, etc. etc. I look around and see people walking down the beach with their faces glued to their phones... completely ignoring and oblivious to the natural beauty around them, the peace and serenity they're trotting through, and if I had to guess they need that peace and serenity more than anything on their phones. I just don't get it. :oops::( Mass hypnosis? Maybe... just maybe...

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I find the holiday allocation the US astonishingly small and weekly hours very long.

Mrs K works for US/Global company for the past 10 years and runs a couple of teams in Europe and the US.
She tells me the disparity on holiday allocation is the cause of much disquiet and resentment across the company because wages, health insurance, pensions and perks are pretty much the same across the teams, irrespective of location.

UK holiday allocation is usually 4 weeks plus 8 days statutory holidays per year.
France has 6 weeks plus 11 days statutory.
US has 2 weeks plus (no idea how many days) statutory.

I imagine if you're travelling far half of those precious 2 weeks are eaten up with jet lag.
I’m surprised this thread is still alive?

But regarding US vacation customs I’ve been living in a popular vacation destination since 2008 and see the vacationers grow more and more stressed about getting max relax ASAP which makes it hard for them to relax because they want to micro manage in perfection to ensure a good outcome they waited a year for.

Not just the last two years but growing before that too.

I didn’t know specifics but it’s interesting how the rest of the world divides our own time from our indentured servitude.

Of course on paper we are more free than anyone else on earth!
Yet US workers really are incarcerated in corporate control of what we must do to avoid the horrors of eating cat food in our golden years or even ending up in one of those homeless shelters every town USA seems to be fighting over these days.

What I get from individual human samples is that the corporate slot allowed to smart educated workers does provide long term financial security but at the cost of 50 weeks a year in an unhappy unhealthy work environment.
Defenders if an alternative fact set detailing happy office workers in a positive corporate structure seem to be the exception.
I do believe their reports.
What I have a problem with us suggestions that every one of us can have happy work and long term financial security if we try hard enough.

That is IMO a myth that I have trouble believing any intelligent person actually believes.
Society requires mass numbers of poor people and lower middle class people to function.
The comparatively few winners cannot exist without huge numbers of relative losers. Defining relative losers is shaky but would involve the quality of life during the hours we must give, for financial security during the hours we are allowed to keep.
Of course in our social structure, many generally miserable workers who drink to cope, feel that they are winners because their lot is a little better than their underlings lots.

Not that I have some master plan, and not that I think fairness should be enforced.
More speaking to claims that the larger number of us who are not comfy in our societal role are at fault for being one of the many pawns.

Last edited:

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
As my health that left me bed bound for 75%+ of the last 3 years improves, I've been getting out a bit more often. Mainly the odd full English/Scottish breakfast at a cafe in the local village, or venture further and take a drive to one of the Perthshire towns for a coffee, so I haven't seen very many people until now except at the hospital.

Today, I ventured 25 miles into Stirling (small city) to have 6" lopped off my tresses and spent some time having lunch. Later, after a drive, I went to my usual fish and chip shop and sat by the river, in a small public park.

I'm by nature (a weirdo) a solitary animal but enjoy people watching. It feeds my lyric and short story writing. Airports were a good place for it in the past.

What I've noticed, more so recently and today in particular, is the amount of faces glued to their phone screens. Couples out for dinner, not talking, their faces fixed mainly on their left palms, right index finger poking at their phones. The smartest guy in the room appears to go by the name Bob Samsung or Jim Apple.
Queues are the same, I was asked by the shop assistant to nudge the guy in front of me today because it was his turn to be served but he was too busy scrolling his phone. He looked rather peeved about it being his turn.

It's not as if the people I've seen doing this are stuck in some hellhole, the places I go to are surrounded by outstanding natural beauty but none of them seem to look up from their phone screens. The vast majority are day trippers and tourists, which makes it all the weirder. Why travel 50-100miles to stare at a phone, when there's a perfectly good throne in the bathroom for that.

It seems to have accelerated while I've been away from public places and it's not just the younger folks either. Age doesn't seem to be specific in this behaviour.

Did I miss some mass hypnosis event, while I was stuck at home?
I may be one of those glued to my ‘phone screen but………..Stirling, have many memories of staying with my (ex) sister-in-law, Wallace monument, the bijou little swimming pool. Only thing I regretted was trying haggis in batter and chips! May have been from the shop you mentioned above. Great Indian in a road or square beside the old church, then,I think, a kids’ club. One things for sure, I don’t reckon I’d me much interested in my ‘phone if Ivwent back now!

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
I love my phone

And yeah prolly too much. I don’t think my usage habits are very healthy.
I can relate, but still I set simple rules. No phone when friends are around, no phone in the car, no phone when at somewhere other than home.... Except when it's urgent, or from my JROTC (can't skip that because we are in the car of course) or from mom or dad (obviously). Recently though I have been trying to get outside more🙂

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I can relate, but still I set simple rules. No phone when friends are around, no phone in the car, no phone when at somewhere other than home.... Except when it's urgent, or from my JROTC (can't skip that because we are in the car of course) or from mom or dad (obviously). Recently though I have been trying to get outside more🙂
Well phones travel well too!
I guess we can look at content on our phones or we can create content?
Sit on the couch or hike into the wilds?
Be entertained or interpret the world around us?
I find my iPhone is more tool than entertainment, though guitar forums are entertaining.
I suppose tool is subjective too though.
582C9084-BD46-4B7B-BB42-94C55C02FDEC.jpeg
F781284F-3764-40F6-81BB-0243FEE97F9A.jpeg
0141EB99-F76C-4FA6-B0A0-F88745AE4811.jpeg
B3880CDA-BBE2-4AD5-892F-CBD32A51B4F4.jpeg

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire
About three years ago my Wife bought me an expensive cell phone. It's been sitting in my desk drawer with a dead battery since the day she gave it to me. I'd be happy to use it for talking like folks used to do but I can't get anyone to do that. All they want to do is type messages. It seems to me that texting is a poor form of human interaction to say the least. I'm a singer and guitar player and that stuff is like the equivalent of me showing up at a bar to do a show and handing everyone a set list. "Hope you find this entertaining folks I'm going home now". Call me over the hill but if they can't open their mouths and talk to me like a normal person I don't want to know them.

Last edited:

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
Well phones travel well too!
I guess we can look at content on our phones or we can create content?
Sit on the couch or hike into the wilds?
Be entertained or interpret the world around us?
I find my iPhone is more tool than entertainment, though guitar forums are entertaining.
I suppose tool is subjective too though. View attachment 975778 View attachment 975777 View attachment 975780 View attachment 975779
Great photographs.
I really like the Rorschach Test at the top.
If a Shrink showed me that one my answer would have to be that I see Orpheus descending into a sea of hysteria.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
I may be one of those glued to my ‘phone screen but………..Stirling, have many memories of staying with my (ex) sister-in-law, Wallace monument, the bijou little swimming pool. Only thing I regretted was trying haggis in batter and chips! May have been from the shop you mentioned above. Great Indian in a road or square beside the old church, then,I think, a kids’ club. One things for sure, I don’t reckon I’d me much interested in my ‘phone if Ivwent back now!
I've no idea how long ago you were there but I've saw the place improve significantly since I worked there back when I had the day job in the early 1990s. It's recently been polled as one of the best places to live in the UK and its got a big fancy sports centre with a good pool now.
That Indian restaurant is still there.
As for the chippy, the one I go to is in Callander which is en route to my 30(ish) mile home journey to the Trossachs.

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's
It's sad that so many people are glued to their phones.

There have been articles posted by Psychologists on how people have lost the ability to communicate "one on one" due to texting.

There's an article about a man on a bridge about to commit suicide and a bus driver stopped, told the passengers that it would be a few minutes and talked the man out of jumping.

The bus driver said there were several people recording the event on their phones and doing nothing else to help this poor soul. What does that have to say about our society today?