IS IT JUST ME OR HAS EVERYBODY BEEN HYPNOTISED?

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
As my health that left me bed bound for 75%+ of the last 3 years improves, I've been getting out a bit more often. Mainly the odd full English/Scottish breakfast at a cafe in the local village, or venture further and take a drive to one of the Perthshire towns for a coffee, so I haven't seen very many people until now except at the hospital.

Today, I ventured 25 miles into Stirling (small city) to have 6" lopped off my tresses and spent some time having lunch. Later, after a drive, I went to my usual fish and chip shop and sat by the river, in a small public park.

I'm by nature (a weirdo) a solitary animal but enjoy people watching. It feeds my lyric and short story writing. Airports were a good place for it in the past.

What I've noticed, more so recently and today in particular, is the amount of faces glued to their phone screens. Couples out for dinner, not talking, their faces fixed mainly on their left palms, right index finger poking at their phones. The smartest guy in the room appears to go by the name Bob Samsung or Jim Apple.
Queues are the same, I was asked by the shop assistant to nudge the guy in front of me today because it was his turn to be served but he was too busy scrolling his phone. He looked rather peeved about it being his turn.

It's not as if the people I've seen doing this are stuck in some hellhole, the places I go to are surrounded by outstanding natural beauty but none of them seem to look up from their phone screens. The vast majority are day trippers and tourists, which makes it all the weirder. Why travel 50-100miles to stare at a phone, when there's a perfectly good throne in the bathroom for that.

It seems to have accelerated while I've been away from public places and it's not just the younger folks either. Age doesn't seem to be specific in this behaviour.

Did I miss some mass hypnosis event, while I was stuck at home?

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My phone is talk and text mostly, it's not on the internet unless I find a free hotspot for wifi somewhere... or use the wifi of my PC modem...

yeah, too much screen addiction going on...

I'd rather chat to strangers/ towns folk when I'm out and about, than worry about what's on the web.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
Oh goody, another post on the web about people being on the web.

I've lost my ability it care about this any more. Or ever. Cause I contribute to it. Cause I don't want to talk to randos about anything.

I'd rather chat to strangers/ towns folk when I'm out and about, than worry about what's on the web.

I'd rather random folks.dont talk to me. :)

telekaster1999

Tele-Afflicted
It's not just you, I recently went to a concert and just about everyone had their phone out Facebooking, Snapping or whatever the hell they do know a days, I'm like wyh, your here just enjoy the moment.

MatteusNova

Tele-Meister
My Nokia stays mostly in my back pocket when I'm out, or the headphones are out me listening to some songs by early Traffic, Renaissance or something. :rolleyes:

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
It's not just you, I recently went to a concert and just about everyone had their phone out Facebooking, Snapping or whatever the hell they do know a days, I'm like wyh, your here just enjoy the moment.
Maybe there were sharing the moment with a friend who was home with, you know......

....the kids.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I love my phone

And yeah prolly too much. I don’t think my usage habits are very healthy. But I personally find it quite difficult to tease the extremely useful and informative functions apart from the “just d*cking around”.

Like this post: which is it?? 😅

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
eyes on your own paper. Unless YOU, personally, can provide something more interesting to the person, why worry about what they are doing? I'm not crazy about waiting for Karen to move up in line for Starbucks while she is texting on her phone, but I'm not in that big a hurry either...

Eat your breakfast and quit judging THAT is 100% bad for your health.

T-bone Ted

Tele-Meister
I see people walking while playing with phone, in their cars driving while on the phone, at ballgames on their phones, bars drinking and playing on phones, etc. I told my wife that I envision people loosing the ability of speech due to texting on phones!

I don't understand it at all! I think the lack of creativity in films and music can be traced to people growing up with computers & cell phones. Much less creative thinking since people devote waking hours to these devices instead of getting out and having real life experiences.

Put down your phones, get off the computer & get outside and breathe some fresh air! Go for a walk, go for a run, ride a bike, take a hike, get a canoe, take a trip around your town/county/state, visit a museum, go to the coffee shop and talk to a stranger. Call a friend and go visit some other friends, visit your aunt in the nursing home. Get out and mingle with friends and have some conversations, go out to dinner with your wife/girlfriend. Social interaction can be very stimulating...try it! It does take some effort, but most things in life take effort and commitment. Just get off those darn phones and your lives will improve in so many ways!