Is it harder to change an iPhone battery than build an amp?

James Knox

Tele-Afflicted
So sorry - I know this is not an amp build question.

Have any of youz ShockBro’s changed an iPhone battery. Where did you source your parts? Did it pass the startup procedure?

I tried to tell my wife I build amps, not work on iPhones, but she’s NOT having it, lol.

thank you for your indulgence. I’ll keep it amp related from no on. I promise!

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Depending upon which iPhone you have, iFixIt.com will have parts and how to do it tutorials.

ElJay370

Tele-Afflicted
Yes. Tons of very fragile, microscopic parts and virtually no room for error. Yeah, I’ve watched the YouTube videos. I’d be very surprised if each one of those guys didn’t trash a dozen phones while learning how to do it.

Spend the 50-75 bucks to have someone who knows what they’re doing handle it for you. Worth it, IMO

Last edited:

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Yes. Tons of very fragile, microscopic parts and virtually no room for error. Yeah, I’ve watched the YouTube videos. I’d be very surprised if each one of those guys didn’t trash a dozen phones while learning how to do it.

Spend the 50-75 bucks to have someone who knows what they’re doing handle it for you. Worth it, IMO

I have repaired a few hundred Macs, MacBooks, iMacs, iPads, and iPhones with iFixit parts and tutorials.

There is a good chance that the "person who know what they're doing" approaches it the same say. ;)

Enjoy the journey!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Well you know, if the battery is used up you might as well change the charge port too as that's not gonna last much longer.
How's the screen?
Maybe some upgrades and mods?

elpico

Tele-Afflicted
Replacing an iPhone battery takes well under an hour. I don't know anyone who's building entire amps in an hour so I think that's a "No".

That said, the parts are very small. Especially the screws you need to remove. If you don't have the best eyesight or maybe if you don't have the steadiest hands then I could see it being quite difficult. I've done it for myself a couple times over the years but if anybody else asked me I'd tell them to get the shop to do it.

joshote

Tele-Meister
I just used one of iFixit's kits to replace the battery on my son's iPhone 6s. It took about an hour as elpico said. iFixit has good guides, and the comments give you a lot of good hints.
I built a Champ a few months ago, and am still building the cab. I would say if you have built an amp, changing a battery will be a piece of cake. You need to be methodical, keep a clean and organized workspace, and keep your reading glasses on for those tiny screws!

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
I've changed out smart phone, tablet and Kindle batteries without breaking them which is a miracle, but I've never built an amp.

If I can do it anyone can do it, but start with a plan and all tools and parts gathered.

"Spudger".

Ifixit is great advice.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
a couple of things
1) what gen iphones ?
Apple doesnot support battery replacements , so you may have to go 3rd party as listed above.
and on some of the newer iphones Apple matched the serials for the screens and the batteries, if the numbers are different the unit wont work even if the repair is done correctly
( this was because people would Buy Iphones , replace the sceens and batteries with knockoffs then return the Iphone back to to Apple , so you cant blame them albeit inconvenient)

2) you will need specific tools the correct torx drivers in miniscule sizes , kits are available on Ebay for cheap.

then follow any of a number of Youtube videos and read your instructions carefully, as mentioned I use an Ice cube tray for these repairs as the parts are in different sizes and to be conscious of the order of removal.

I noticed the similar issues whilst trying to replace the hard drive in am Imac ( the ones with the magnetic screens ) any way apple did not want people to repair these items with out being licenced by them, so apple removed the magnetic screens and replaced them with an adhesive seal kit ,you had to use heat to soften the screen then it damaged the seal to open it , so you had to buy a new seal kit to remount the screen , these kits were expensive as Heck , just another money grab. just to re-install a new hard drive or clean the dust out of it .

tons of you tube vids to back this up

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I had Apple change mine. It was cheap and fast. I’m lucky that there is an Apple store nearby so I took it in and they changed it in an hour for about $50.

jondanger

Poster Extraordinaire
I have changed a few screens but not a battery. I figure it can’t be that different of a process. I think that if you go slow and be patient you can do it.

Andy B

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
As a retired camera repairman I found it no big deal. If you are able to work with small flexible circuits, all you need is the right driver to open the covers and a 00 phillips to undo the pressure connectors. The trick with getting the battery out is to carefully heat the back of the case with a hair dryer to loosen the double stick tape.