Is it DNA? Why can some people not be punctual?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Jul 26, 2013.

1. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

The only people I do not mind showing up late is my wife's family at a get together, or more to the point my Mr. know it all brother in law:rolleyes:
    I rarely am late for anything but it doesn't really ever bother me if other people are late.

2. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

We had a woman at work who was consistently late. Her start time was 8:30 am but she never got there before 8:45. We moved her start to to 9:00 am and she started showing up at 9:15 or 9:30. We moved her start time to 9:30 and she started showing up at 9:45.

We fired her.

Jim

3. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sorry I'm late to this thread. Work got in the way.

4. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was always the first person at school as a kid (someone has to be that guy). Been that way forever. I am always early. If I am traveling I have a fear of missing a flight and will always be there hours early. Concerts the same thing. The opener could be Niki and her Three Legged Dog Act and I'd still show up early. Only one in my whole family like that, so I doubt it is genetic. Drives my wife nuts.

5. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

People that dont mind being late have never had income tied to their schedule.

In sales when my people wait it costs me money.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

6. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I think it's a power thing. I have to hold a shift meeting every day at my job, and there was about three people who were late every single day. They would clock in on time, but then go screw off somewhere so they could walk in ten minutes late and interrupt my meeting. And it's not like I wasn't giving them time to get up there- their shift starts at 5:30, I would start my meeting at 5:40.

So I started locking the meeting room door at 5:40. I would finish my meeting at about 5:50 (I try to cut all of the extraneous garbage out of my meetings, because in my business, we make money on the clock) and then open the door. Anyone who's outside? Step into my office, and explain to me why your time is more important than mine. But do it away from everyone else. Don't give them the entrance or the drama.

7. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Ha she should meet my girlfriend. It will be lunch time before she is ready to go to breakfast.

Sometimes i give her a one hour warning to departure, and she looks at me like im crazy for expecting her to get ready in such a short amount of time. Then she wonders why i am upset about being 30 minutes late to dinner.

What can i say? I love her - one of the few people worth waiting for.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

8. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I don't wait. If we're meeting to go somewhere I'll hang for 10 min. or so and then roll. I don't care if we're going to eat or to an event 3 hrs. away. This is unless I get the "don't leave, I'm on my way" phone call.:D

Gave up talking to people about it. Between the dead horse and my head on a brick wall, I just got tired of the beatin'.

9. Lostinthe50s

Lostinthe50s Tele-Afflicted

When you are late you are saying loud and clear that your time is far more important than anyone else's time. I don't waste time on people who can't be punctual.

10. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I find people who are chronically late to be passive aggressive, narcissistic jerks who think the world revolves around them. Just my casual observation made while waiting for people who were wasting my time.

11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

20 minutes is way late if no call or text was sent to inform the waiting person that you were running late. I inform people if I think I'm going to be 5 minutes late and still show up 7 minutes early.

12. Lostinthe50s

Lostinthe50s Tele-Afflicted

Yup. I'm gone after 10. And that's if I'm feeling particularly patient.

13. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

With my Dad, you are considered late if you arrive 5 minutes early. He used to be really bad about it, but now 20-some grandkids later and approaching 70 (67 this year), he has mellowed a lot.

My mother-in-law is habitually late. Now, we're not talking 5-10 minutes, we're not talking 25-30 minutes, and we are not talking 45min to an hour late. We are talking 2 hours late at a pretty much minimum.

She gets upset because we will go out to dinner with my parents at a drop of the hat (my parents may call us or we may call them and we are eating withing 30-45 minutes, usually). She builds a case that we "favor" them. We can plan dinner with her and my Father-in-law for a couple of weeks in advance and they will show up 2 hours late.

My wife just went to the coast with them for my MIL's birthday. I stayed home. I just can't take it. I go to events at my MIL's house (I just try and eat in advance). Our first Thanksgiving, dinner was planned for about 2pm. We didn't eat until about 7:30pm. Still, I go if it's at a house, but going on a roadtrip, with everyone piling into two cars, you pretty much are stuck. It's always a frustrating time of never getting anywhere in a timely manner and being so hungry you want to start smacking folks.

Her family is also infamous for not being able to decide where to eat, they rarely eat at the same time. When we have dinners at our house, usually I'll start eating some before they get here. When they do arrive, it has always been customary in my Dad's house for visitors to eat first, but I just can't do it. We call for dinner and they all scatter out and start visiting or working on projects.

All that said, my MIL is a very nice person, very loving, but we just have to try and deal with the time issue.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My business partner liked being late, because it forced everyone to focus on him and it gave him the upper hand in negotiations. If you've been waiting 45 minutes, that's 45 minutes you coulda been beatin' on the other guy but you weren't. He shows up fresh; the other guy is already "the loser". I hate to say it but I was there early to keep the other side from trying some dirty business while he was AWOL.

Funny thing was, he and I might leave the courthouse in different cars and at the same time and he always got back to the office first. Never could figure that out.

He'd show up late for trial; a judge might fine him, but by the time he got around to cutting the check and apologizing to the staff and everything, they'd forgive him and tell him the sanctions were canceled. One time, as usual, I was there and he was late and the judge told me unless he was on time next time, I'D be fined. Everyone was frustrated; they knew they could never change him.

Then when he got elected judge, court in his section also started late. Nothing changes. :^)

15. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Friend of Leo's

Tell him to meet at 11:15. Then he'll be there at 11:45ish.

16. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Most people who are chronically late simply think that their time is more important than other peoples. They might not admit it or even realize it but I think this is the case.

17. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

There's another thread around here about High Blood Pressure.

One of the factors is waiting around for an eternity in the doctor's
    waiting room.

Just think if doctor's didn't have waiting rooms?

So maybe the waiting time is subjective?
    Your good friend can be late, just like your doctor.
    Do you grill your doctor about his punctuality?

Why don't you meet your friend when you have a more
    relaxed schedule? Are you trying to "fit him in" to your lifestyle?

Seems kind of one sided eh wot?

18. Diagoras

Diagoras Tele-Holic

What I've found is that some people just aren't very good at estimating how long it will take them to get places (i.e. how long other activities will take before that, like driving through traffic, or stopping to pick something up). I've had friends like that... they mean well, but they often underestimate how long things will take, and so they usually end up being late.

Good one. :lol:

19. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

I find it to be very disrespectful if you are late to meet with friends or family, to your employer at work, bandmates to practice or gig. Start without them, fire them if you can and toss them out of the band. Tough love that's what I say.

20. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

People are late when they don't respect you. If they had respect for you, they would be on time.

It really is that simple.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.