Is it DNA? Why can some people not be punctual?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not obsessive about it, but I typically am never late, and if it's important (an appointment, interview, etc), I'm ALWAYS early.

I have a friend who I love to death... the guy would be late for his own funeral. I used to just good-naturedly bust his chops a little about it. Finally a few months ago (after he arrived late for lunch, of course) I talked to him about it. The problem is, we like to grab lunch every week or so, and I don't like to be away from the office for more than an hour. He shows up 15 minutes late (which is typical... I'm not talking about 2-5 minutes), that's a huge percentage of the time when you factor in travel back and forth.

So he apologized and said he'd do better. And he did. Exactly two times. :lol: So here's what I do:

We're meeting for lunch at 11:45. I arrive close to noon, because I know he'll be late :). He's usually still not there. I order. I start eating. He shows up 12:05. at about 12:25, I tell him I gotta go. And I leave.

I figure he'll either change his ways... or he won't. I'm not going to let it affect our friendship because I really do love him as a friend, have known him 2 decades. I just for the life of me can't figure it out. What's so difficult about it??

2. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

I`m the same, always early unless there are circumstances that I can`t control but I always give myself more than enough time for just those possibilities. I keep my i-pod with me and have something to occupy me....crosswords, sketch pads or books so I am not bored waiting for those who just can`t seem to be on time. I can`t explain why some people can`t get it together and are always/frequently late...maybe some one will shed some light as to why, I sure can`t.

3. furtherpale

furtherpale Former Member

why are some people so anal about being on time?

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

it's really just a matter of being considerate of other people's time, or not, i think

it's a huge pet peeve of mine, too

5. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

rude is just rude and some people just don't get it.

6. Colo Springs E

Because we have so little of it?

7. mohair_chair

mohair_chair Tele-Meister

I think you are handling it right. Some people just value their time more than they do yours. I had a friend like that. She was selfish in many ways, and one was ALWAYS showing up late. She was never apologetic about it. It was like, ok, I'm here, we can start now.

She was late for everything. Everything. I put up with it (and so much else) for a long time, because we were really good as a team playing a sport. But it got to be too much, and after standing around wet and freezing for 30 minutes waiting for her one day, I was done. I had to move on and do my own thing. Kind if sad to break up the team, but enough is enough. Life is too short to put up with people like that.

8. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

+1 for lying and say its earlier. i have a chronically tardy bass player (redundant, i know) who almost always shows up 30 minutes late for practice. well... his practice now starts 30 minutes before me and the drummer!

9. furtherpale

furtherpale Former Member

that's the reason i'm always late!

10. Colo Springs E

I understand that, but it doesn't bother me enough to end the friendship. If he was habitually a complete 'no-show,' maybe. It is a mild irritant, but nothing more really. Honestly, it is just a curiosity thing for me, posting it here.

I work in HR, and in some instances, if an employee can't get to work on time (and it's usually just 1-10 minutes consistently), we have offered up to start their shift 15 minutes later... I can tell you that in about 90% of these scenarios, they will then be a few minutes late for THAT shift. It's just weird to me. I have fired many people who were otherwise good employees, but for their specific roles, punctuality mattered (it doesn't for a lot of jobs... for some, it does). It's strange to me that even to protect their own livelihood--their paycheck--they couldn't fix it.

11. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I am one of those people who is perpetually 5 minutes late. I try to arrive 10 minutes early, otherwise I'd be 20 minutes late! :rolleyes:

I tend to be late arriving, but just as often I'm late leaving... I think this is mostly because I'm not very well organized. No offense is intended.

I'm rarely more than 10 minutes late, but I have known people who get really angered by this. Because I know myself, I tend to avoid people who are extremely time-compressed...

I'm lucky that I own my own business, so I can set my own hours, but I am fully aware that this is an area I need to improve. :oops:

I have a friend who is consistently 30 minutes late... Sometimes more. This really aggravates me as, like the OP mentioned, if I have other plans later, I either have to compromise the plans I made with this friend or sacrifice my other plans...

I have been avoiding this particular guy recently. It just feels like he doesn't respect me or my time. I understand how it can be really aggravating, but I still have a hard time consistently being on time myself. :idea:

12. Colo Springs E

:lol: touche!

13. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

My wife is always late for everything, work,parties, appointments etc. Once in a while I'll say something but it just causes an argument so mostly I've given up. One morning I noticed that she had finished getting ready for work extremely early, I thought she would leave the house on time and finally get to work on time. NOT!!!! she set there and watched TV until 8am (the time she is supposed to be at work), then jumped up and screamed "Oh No I'll Be Late" and ran out of the door. She just refuses to be on time.

14. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

I know some people like that.

I have a suspicion that they do that because it makes them seem important to the people who they meet.

15. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Probably the way they were brought up. If their parents were late, they
    were late. If people throw trash out of a car, their parents probably did.
    It was acquired somewhere..

16. TeleDrifter

TeleDrifter Tele-Afflicted

Same people late for work everyday. Wish we had a time-clock so they'd get docked but no. It's like the old saying "Why does a dog lick his balls? Because he can."

17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I seem to manage to get places a little early....

I got dragged around to medical appointments by Mum as a kid... even using trains/buses we got to most of them on time....

I guess if you got to places late you went to the back of the queue?....

Dad always caught trains/buses to work at the same times most days... school had sharp starting times...

a clockwork youth...;)

18. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

Expectation is the root of all misery.

Your friend—bless his heart—envisions The Lunch Event as that moment when you and he are both seated at the table and enjoyable conversation and companionship ensues.

You—bless your heart—are holding onto a different version of The Lunch Event, one that involves a specific placement of the Earth against the Sun within a relativistic environment.

I can see his perspective on this, and it has some merit. But... I still feel your pain. I do.

19. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

I'm big on punctuality too. I'm one of those who, if told to be somewhere at 10, I shoot for 9:50. I'm not as crazy about it as I used to be, since being the only man in a household with my wife and 2 daughters (ages 10 and 1) makes it almost impossible to be on time, but I do everything I can to not be late.

20. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

I was only late ONE TIME, in 30 years on the job.
    My two younger children wouldn't be on time, if they slept overnight at their jobs?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.