Is it a phase or did it happen to me?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by G.Rotten, Aug 13, 2020.

1. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Next month i turn 44. So far I've always kept up on current "Rock". Or at least the only radio station I listen to is the "New Rock" stations.

Lately I've become bored with music in general. Whats making it on the air is boring and what I have is old. I haven't been in the habit of listening to music in the house for a long time but pretty much never drive without it. Lately I frequently find myself just turning off the radio entirely. Sadly that's when you hear everything that's wrong with your car. Lol. I'm aware there is a ton of music I've never heard, I'm just not interested in seeking it out.

I hope it's just a phase as music is a huge part of my life. Is this the transition into that guy who only listens to the music of his youth calling everything less than 20 years old garbage? I swear I've had strong urges to dig out my Rage Against The Machine CD's lately, I'm just too lazy.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah, I keep pulling out old CD's for the car. I don't listen in house anymore. Hard to get inspired. I get off on tangents like weird genre's and artists... it helps.

3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Or maybe the music they play on the radio really is boring.

4. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Dang..... I hope not. I've been listening to a local station that plays clips from comedy specials 24/7. With any luck that'll be as close as I get. Unfortunately, it A.M. and it's not even in my city so it rarely comes in.

5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

It's a phase. That's my bet. I have gone through the same thing countless times with listening to music and playing music. Lot of times it may be something else going on in my life that is causing it, but in always passes. Either it goes naturally, or whatever is going on in your life runs its course (weight gain, mild situational depression, boredom, weather, stressful responsibilities) or you stumble onto some new music that gets you excited again. Also, the radio sucks.

I remember finding Tuareg music on YouTube and thinking it was all my secret stash of cool sounds. I roll my eyes at myself now, but at the time it was a blessing. The other thing that helps alleviate the symptoms of musical doledroms is gear. Since Lord Voldemort came along and crapped in all our lives I've been buying and window shopping for guitar pedals like crazy.

Oh, and don't be that old guy who hates everything younger than his T-shirts. If you play music you should always be curious about new music and should work to appreciate what its offering and where it comes from. New music doesn't suck, it just comes from people with different things to say (Top 40 notwithstanding. It always sucks).

6. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

I can relate to not always liking the music that is on the radio, but I still love finding new music to listen to at home. I don't listen to the stuff from my youth that much. But, I would say that you may be getting older, and it isn't a phase. I'm 57, and I realize that a lot of current popular music doesn't do it for me so much. Of the current music being played now, what do you enjoy, and what irritates you? I am curious.

G.Rotten and JuneauMike like this.
  7. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

If you don't have good local radio, good stations from other cities are only an app download away. We have two good ones in the Austin-area: KUTX and Sun Radio. Download their apps and you can listen along with me live.

RhythmFender likes this.
  8. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There's the Beatles channel on Sirius.

9. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds exciting. Are they a new boy band? Should I check them out?

10. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

look up YouTube reaction videos of Jinjer band, then listen to their albums and thank me later. Incredible band but I'll warn you she can scream like no one's business.

11. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

It's easy to get stuck in a rut. Where you find yourself listening to the same old stuff.

Not sure what your listening/streaming/downloading situation is like, but what really opened things up for me was an Apple Music account. It's around 10 bucks a month. Pretty much any band or any album I can download and listen to the moment I think of it. The selection is MASSIVE. Even for old standbys.

It also offers "you might also like" suggestions as well as several streaming radio stations for all kinds of genres.

G.Rotten and Cali Dude like this.
  12. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Radio is pretty much dead to me. I listen to Pandora in the house, Sirius in the car. Even they have somewhat predictable play lists (based on my preferences) but they have precious little babbling and ads.

Our local "Classic Rock" station is the worst. Largely 80's & 90's music, and a buttload of advertising. And the morning show hosts love to hear themselves jibber-jabber and laugh instead of playing music. And to think, they used to be the "Underground FM" station.

13. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Lol. I don't ever not have new gear. I'm completely addicted to guitars.

I have been diagnosed with pretty bad sleep apnea recently & got the CPAP machine about two weeks ago. I've never been so consistently tired in my entire life. I have faith the machine will work in time with a tweaks. This music thing has been for maybe 8 months and slowly getting worse. Perhaps it's all connected.

Boreas likes this.
  14. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I listen to Outlaw Country, Willie’s Roadhouse, or Underground Garage on SiriusXM or Guided by Voices CDs in the car.

slauson slim and JuneauMike like this.
  15. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I'm 55 and I hardly ever listen to music on the radio anymore. I find even the classic rock stations mostly play music I don't care for. It's like it's either Led Zeppelin or some kind of grunge-inspired metal that I've never heard before and don't like.

The music they're playing now is sadly and pretty universally bereft of any kind of swing whatsoever. When, exactly, did rockers forget how to groove, anyway?

I have a couple of thousand mp3's in the car that I burned from CDs I own. If I listen to anything, it's probably twenty or so years old and, just as likely, JPOP.

But, usually (and by that I mean "well over 90% of the time") I listen to talk radio.

16. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

I'm sorry to hear that. It can really mess with your health.

17. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Lol. Here's where I start to sound super old. I've never had a data plan & don't really want one. So nothing is an app away.

18. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Apps/websites at home on wifi. Classical station in the car. Done.

unixfish likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

SuprHtr, radiomanjh, G.Rotten and 8 others like this.
  20. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I don't listen much to radio anymore. I used to love the sunday morning gospel shows, live from a church here in Houston; we get some great TexMex as well, and the local R&B station has some ok stuff. but mostly CD's in the car and rotate between well worn tracks and new exploratory stuff. Or I'll take one artist and go deep, like Tom Waits, etc.

It even happens to Tom Morello:

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/tom-morello-shares-heavy-metal-favorites-playlist/

Brooklyn Vegan? FIK, just something I stumbled into...

Thing is there are so many, many, many style, genres, roots and branches to look at. Yeah, it takes some effort. Isn't that where the rubber meets the road?

You want to settle for something that's easy?

elihu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.