Is it a Champ plus Reverb or a Princeton Reverb minus tremolo and a power tube? Demo! Zeta content

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Snfoilhat, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

Shock people of the world,

I'm in the sixth day of this illness and protecting the vulnerable folks in my lab from contagion but trying not to go nuts at home.

I never posted any audio for this amp https://www.tdpri.com/threads/princeton-reverb-lite.987560/

There's someone running a demolition hammer a few houses over, the window's wide open, and my fingers are cold, but it's not like I play any good even under the best circumstances :D

Spring reverb and phone compression just smooth everything out :rolleyes:

ArcticWhite, tvas22, Bendyha and 9 others like this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

That was very cool. I love the sound of a cello.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

One of my brothers is a classically trained cellist.....one of the most expressive and beautiful instrument voices ever! Nice video.....;)

Snfoilhat and RoscoeElegante like this.
  4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

It sounds decent on a mobile device.

Snfoilhat likes this.
  5. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

y'all are very kind.

I want to play this thing more. I've kept it through every move, crisis, life change since 2007 when I bought it. After seeing this band.

The amp came out okay too

6. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

In other four-string news

I owned a Squire Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special for about two hours today :(

I've been rehearsing the My first DIY bass amp post in my mind for weeks!

I picked it up at the big box store, all the packaging intact and so instead of demoing at the store I brought it home.

It was awful.

Brought it back for a refund minus the shipping :(:(

7. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

What was wrong with it? Poor neck or dive? The stock pickups are a bit nasal/honky IME (~500-600Hz). I replaced them in mine with a Seymour Duncan QP set and added a Gotoh hi mass bridge and it’s a great little bass now.

Doesn’t get as much of a run against my Jazz or vintage P though.

Mincer likes this.
  8. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

It was a highly unstable deal from the start. I allowed myself a very low budget, the boundaries of which I could feel getting pushed ($150 looks appealing, but then add tax and shipping and it's $200, then new strings is a given, so over $200) and add any work beyond a few minutes of my time adjusting and I'm working on an instrument worth, charitably, $150 that I've overpaid for.

Add to that the neck dive -- I play seated 90% of the time, even with other people, even when singing. I'd like it to balance reasonably well.

Add the weird electronics. Passive pickups with a built in 9V bass boost, and a few minutes experimenting made it seem like instead of pulling the battery just killing the bass boost function, the whole (passive) pickup system seemed to stop working

But I'm not sure the battery was the issue, because...

Lastly, it was advertised as cosmetically worn but functionally perfect, but the jack was loose and non-standard. Not the nut holding it to the body, the whole assembly just wouldn't solidly hold the cable plug. Some kind of end-pin jack. No idea how to repair it.

So many complications.

Making things more hard to balance is that I've never had a crummy bass. At age 12 my parents gave me a used Guild Pilot (MIA I think, $240, too generous mom and dad) that I never really learned to play but was nice! The only bass I spent any time really using was a Rickenbacker 4001v63 I got by piratical means when I was a notorious punk in a band in my 20s. I want every inexpensive off-brand instrument I pick up to be great and prove that the fancy stuff is a ripoff :rolleyes:, but any time I play anything under many hundreds of dollars in a store in those very few times I've haunted a guitar shop, all are disappointing. I wasn't supposed to grow up to be a gear snob :mad:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Bristlehound likes this.
  9. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

Yeah, there's always room for cello!:rolleyes:

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Must be a Princeton to get that clean sound AND from a cello!

11. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

@Snfoilhat - I dont have that crazy bass boost option in mine. It must be a new version.

12. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've got a Zeta Bass. but one of the piezo elements in the bridge doesn't work properly - the D string, so I can't use it.
    I haven't checked for about 18 months, but I couldn't find any replacement for it last time I looked. The bridge is made of a cast and sealed mass, so I can't get into it to see if it is repairable without destroying it... so it just sits there unplayable....
    Maybe I should start another search for a replacement.

Edit- they are back. Zeta bridges are available....but the price:eek:
    ZETA 4-String Bass Bridge Pickup $720.00
    [​IMG]

13. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

This was a 2010-2012? I think I just got my stories mixed up. I believe what I read about the general trend of the MIC and MII instruments growing in quality even if reviews are a little mixed, but all I can say is I didn't care for this at all.

I could see spending as much as a new-on-sale 2019 Classic Vibe, but it would have to be perfect. Reading gear forum stuff makes guitar shopping sound so easy for a large number of people, but I find this frustrating.

Wow, Zeta's replacement policy is a little overbearing. That price, and you have to return the old bridge. Like the gooped circuit board of the piezo pickup world. Hope you get your bass running again. They did make some really cool instruments.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.