Is having a Bass useful?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by bluesholyman, Jul 29, 2018.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

I have the same bass. A great choice for a guitarist. Don't let the $125 price tag fool you, its actually a great little instrument. After a set of flats, some nut work, and a serious pickup upgrade, I still have less than $300 in it. I've had people come up and ask me "What is that thing? It sounds huge."

upload_2018-7-30_9-32-34.jpeg

2blue2 likes this.
  2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yes. you need a bass.

bluesholyman likes this.
  3. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

I'll add to the chorus...get the bass. You'll get more opportunities to play.

4. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

I know exactly what that means. When I pickup a bass, I can play cool things like scales, Eddie Van Halen taps, and all sorts of funky bass riffs. But my fingers fall off If I have to play more than one song with a steady beat.

Zeonoid and Toadtele like this.
  5. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

I agree wholeheartedly. Why relegate yourself to just one instrument? I can't say that I've mastered the guitar, but I have mastered the idea playing the very best that I can without overstating it. Bass is a whole other aninal - I can rock out on bass!

I too started playing bass, but on acoustic guitar with the four lower strings spread out like a bass. It helped me understand notation, phrasing, hand dexterity, etc. to make me a more rounded musician not just a player!

True! It makes you a more desirable member of the band to play. It also makes you understand music more as a whole that one part of a group playing one instrument alone with ever knowing anything else.

6. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Holic

thats a Krist Novoseligs bass from 80s recordings included NIRVANA BLEACH album !

7. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

8. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Well into page 3, you had your answer on page 1, but I wouldn't let being a minimalist limit what you think or do with your music. Think of it more as putting $20 in your left pocket, then moving it to your right pocket.

9. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

My random thoughts on this topic (for what they're worth...)

(1) Yes, you need a bass! (especially if, like me, you're into recording...)

(2) Bass guitar is relatively easy to play but quite difficult to master.

(3) Every (good) song has a definite bass part that must be played correctly in order for the song to sound right. If you don't believe this, try substituting simple quarter notes (using the root notes of the chords) on the bass line for a song like "I Saw Her Standing There." :eek:

(4) Try picking out the bass parts for popular songs - it's an interesting exercise. Imagine if Jack Bruce had just done a simple I-IV-V on "Sunshine of Your Love"...:D

(5) It's OK to play bass with a pick/plectrum, though it's frowned upon by "real" bass players.

(6) As a bass player you are part of the rhythm section and must play in time with the drums. In fact, I find emphasizing bass notes in time with the kick drum makes for a powerful foundation on which the rhythm/lead guitars can ride.

(7) Get a good (enough) bass guitar and not a cheapie. I was using an entry level Ibanez bass (< $100) and it wouldn't stay in tune for anything (yes I changed strings, checked the saddles etc.). The pickups were also relatively bland and weak. I now have a more expensive Hofner Galaxie bass (great bass!) and it stays in tune and sounds great.

10. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Absolutely!

11. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Looks like Chris's headstock took a beating also....I don't feel so bad about mine now...

12. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

I asked myself the same question once, so I asked a friend if I could have her spare bass to see if I need/use it.
    And of course I needed it. And used it for recording more intense than I thought I would. Because basses are fun.
    Go get one. Good ones for little $$$ out there...

13. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Congrats on getting a bass. I picked up the bass for a short time, and even still, it helped me understand song structure much better. It made me a better musician, and got me two offers to be in bands that I declined because of lack of time, and because I knew I wasn’t good enough yet.

They didn’t seem to care! Anyway, you have it, now play it, AND your guitar! Learning a little bit of drums won’t hurt your musicianship either! ;)

Good luck with it! You will never listen to music the same way again!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  14. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, its funny now I listen for the bass part going on. Sometimes its subtle and buried, other times its quite prominent. In either case, it is a very strong part of the song and how it sounds/feels.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  15. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well as the former owner of THIS bass will testify, the Ibanez Black Eagle can take one hell of a beating.
    Ibanez.jpeg
    The name of the guy who owned that one? Krist Novoselic of a band called Nirvana. He claims that he threw it around, into the drumkit and basically beat the snot out of it every night but it never gave up on him.

bluesholyman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.