Is Fender Serial Number Look Up system always accurate? 1993-1994 Telecaster color confusion...

Providence

TDPRI Member
Hello to all! I have a Fender Telecaster 1993-1994. N3936651 https://serialnumberlookup.fender.com/lookup/ says, that it should be AM STD TELE MN BSB W/C. BSB is butterscotch blonde, but mine is 3T sunburst. I bought it second hand and I can't be sure. Lately I looked up some other guitars on the net and there are also mismatches in color - both these guitars have 3TS bodies but the site says they are BSB. Are all these guitars partcasters for sure or it can be a misconception in Fender database?

Also, I know that not every color is available on particular year. Is there any information what colors were available on that years?

Please check up your guitars and tell if it's always accurate... Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-21 145427.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-07-21 145427.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 16
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 16

John C

Friend of Leo's
No, it's not always accurate. In fact the database only goes back to about 1993 anyway, and those first few years are kind of spotty in terms of data. It's my understanding that logging the instruments into this database is a manual process, and it was supposed to be done by the dealer when the instrument is sold. At least I think that's the case, if not then it's supposed to be done by a Fender employee when the instrument is sold to the dealer.

So it's not necessarily a red flag on an instrument from 1993-94 as they were just getting this system up and running.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
I looked my 93 Am Tele, that I traded my light metallic purple Jeff Beck Strat on (I realized that down deep that I wasn't a Strat guy) and the Fender info was correct. That said, it probably gets iffy when CBS bought Leo out and possibly when they sold it back to corporate.

Providence

TDPRI Member
Fender use the initials BSB for color 32 Brown Sunburst which was available on the Am Std in 1994.
Color 50 Butterscotch Blonde is BTB
Oh this is a great news for me! Sorry for a mistake - I googled not carefully enough and got it wrong. Thanks!

Thank you all for your feedback