Is Fender Princeton Chorus a good amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by viccp073, Apr 18, 2008.

1. riolux

riolux Tele-Holic

Even if you're getting another amp, I can add my two cents for future thread readers- I have one, US made. I bought it because of it's super clean tone ad it's alledged reliability. I use it in our small rehersal room. I got it when my tube amp started to break down and I havn't fixed that one yet! I think it's from the nineties but it looks brand new. I don't use the dirty channel a lot, but you have a lot of setting possibilities with the limiter and presence knob. I don't think I would use it in a recording, since it lacks that "tubiness" ('cause it's a SS of course) but in our noicy rehersal room it does the job and manages to pierce through with chime. I really like it, but I think paid a bit much for it :-|

2. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I gigged with two of them slaved together last year - mostly. GREAT tone, for my money. One was wonderful for practice and rehearsals, just not quite enough volume against a drummer on stage. I replaced the speakers in both with Eminence Patriot Rajun Cajuns and Redcoat Ramrods (one in each amp), which helped a little, but I wound up playing bigger gigs using one of them as the master and hitting a custom-made cabinet with 2x100 WRMS amp hitting two 12" speakers (kept it stereo). Cool rig!

I eBayed both of them, I paid about $200 shipped for the traditional Fender silver grill-cloth model with black knobs, and $150 shipped for a dark grill-cloth model with red knobs. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. Be sure you get the correct two-button footswitch, it's not a normal footswitch.

3. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I loved my Princeton Chorus. Great digital FX. But, it's underpowered to gig with or cut through drums. I went on to an Ultimate Chorus. As an old Fender tube-amp-guy, I love the Fender solid state stuff - Dynasonics, Stage 100 & 160, etc. I grabbed my Ultimate slightly used for $275, with wheels and a cover in mint shape, so they're around for not a lot of $$. But, I know lots of guys here aren;t big fans. But the Fender solid states work just fine with Teles - and that's about all I use.

4. DevilYouKnow

DevilYouKnow TDPRI Member

You know I say go and get a Vox AC-4. They sound great. Side by side with a Champ 600 the vox is a good bit louder. Also, it has a built in attenuator so you can play at .25 (1/4), 1 or 4 watts of power. The little bugger is bad a$$ for $249 shipped. If you can wait you'll grab a head and 1x12" cabinet for ~$359 (should be out 5/20/09) Check out the NAMM vid on you tube of both these amps. Definitely a hot, vintage British sound in a small but loud package. Good for the money. Maybe the best.

5. evilandy

evilandy Tele-Holic

What a stupid reply.:rolleyes:

It's a fine amp. Red or black. Don't let knob color distract you.

6. sprokett

sprokett Tele-Meister

jmho great small gigworthy practice amp. I'm with the rest though 275 is a bit high.

7. Sixwire

Sixwire Tele-Meister

I purchased mine new a few years ago and hated the thin solid state steril sound. I would dig it out and use it and put it away again. I've been using it a lot lately and the speakers have broken in. The sound is now great for SS. Much easier to move than my tubers.
    Find a good used one at a fair price and enjoy.

8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I bought a used one a couple of years ago and could not tame the brightness without the mids and bass getting muddy. I think I paid about $120 for it on ebay and sold it at a profit, but still I do not miss it at all.

9. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

I own a Princeton Chorus 2x10 combo and I think it's great.
    I use it for studio work and for jamming at my apt.
    A friend can come over and we can both use the same amp due to the duel inputs.
    This is a fantastic amp for low volume/good tone playing.
    The chorus is very smooth and luscious.
    I've played Fender solid state amps since I began over 13 years ago.
    For live settings and full band practices, I always go class A valve. Even for home practice I use a Bugera v5.
    But, I'll always own a Fender solid state.
    They have a great sound and they're very reliable.
    Talk the guy down to $200. That's a fair price and I'm sure he'll still get a commission from the sale.

10. sprokett

sprokett Tele-Meister

The pre DSP princeton chorus is by far my favorite fender SS amp. 275 is a bit steep though as most others have said, a fair price is around the 200 mark

11. Gasman

Gasman TDPRI Member

Believe it or not I have owned 3 Princeton chorus's -- all non Dsp. To me the best Solid state amp Fender ever built. If you want it for around the house and practise you can't get wrong. My most recent is a 96'/Mint and it just sounds great! I picked up for 160.00. I have been down the tube road and their are a ton of Great amps out their. But for the money and the fact I don't play out but its. a Great Amp

12. hooch1

hooch1 Tele-Meister

I have a Princeton Chorus that has served me well for almost 20 years now.

13. starne

starne TDPRI Member

Good for Amping software guitar?

I was wondering if this Princeton Chorus might be a good choice
    for amplifying my Softube Vintage Amp Room guitar modeling software...?

Seems like the amp is kinduv a Roland JC type of amp?
    I had thought that might be a good candidate, but too expensive.

I don't know how exactly to approach this problem.
    I'm thinking it should be a guitar amp,
    but a very clean and uncolored amp/speakers.
    The reverb/chorus would just be a bonus.

Any other suggestions?

14. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

You could do worse. Price would depend on condition. For a starter amp their a good choice and a very good gig worthy SS amp IMHO. I had one for a while but it seemed to dark playing my Les Paul and I didn't really like the Chorus effect. I thought I'd like it for it's size since I was looking for something to replace my '66 BFDR, I had to sell to pay medical bills. The Princeton Chorus just wasn't the right amp for me. So when the time came I sold it and bought a new DRRI which is really what I wanted anyway.

15. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I have 4 amps all SS. 1 is a Roland Microcube. The others are Fenders. 2 are FM a 25r and a 212. The last is a PC. It's in a regular rotation with the others. It's tone setting are confusing to me. The FMs are set low on the treb and bass and the mid set half to higher. The PC however if you cut the settings cuts your volume of that tone setting. Peg the volume kill the tone......nothing. I've been using a high mid setting and lower the treb and base just a bit lower as the FM have been set. Nice amp once you learn it's quwerks.

16. Skookum

Skookum NEW MEMBER!

I recently picked up a Princeton Chorus (red knobs) for acoustic electric playing for $115 + shipping on e-Bay. Shop around!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.