Is Fender Princeton Chorus a good amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by viccp073, Apr 18, 2008.

1. viccp073

viccp073 TDPRI Member

I'm an absolute beginner in this area. I got my tele several days ago and have just started learning to play. Now having had the guitar, I'm shopping for an amp.

A local music store has a Princeton Chorus for $275. It seems to be in good shape although I will ask for more details. The store owner told me it's probably about 10 years old.

Do you think this is a good practice amp and is the pricing right?

If not, what other amps might be good options?

2. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

Most of us around here are tube amp guys, and the Princeton Chorus is a solid state. Despite being solid state, I used to have one and really enjoyed it. Nice sounding amp and easy to dial in a usable tone.
    Have you tried it out? Does it sound good to you?
    That price seems a bit high but you could probably talk the guy down a bit.
    If you wanted something else in a similar price range, I'd say a Blues Jr or Pro Jr used. These are both tube amps.
    Even an Epiphone Valve Jr might be a good option, although I haven't owned one myself.
    I'm sure you'll get many more responses from folks that are smarter than me. Good luck in your search.

3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I loved my old Princeton Chorus, but I think 275 is too much for an old used solid state amp.... even if the chorus sounds so good. I love that chorus, actually, very lush! They are decent amps. I really regret having sold mine... though I don't know if I'd still love it as much today as I remember.

I've watched them on ebay from time to time and I've seen them going closer to 200 (if I recall correctly). Just did a quick search and sure enough, they're going for under 2 bills on ebay (but they aren't right in front of you to try out, of course)

If it were my 275 clams, I'd stick it into a Vibrochamp XD at 249... or add another 20 or so and pick up a Super Champ XD at 299. I think you'll get more usable sounds out of these amps.

4. viccp073

viccp073 TDPRI Member

Thank you for responding. I did have the guy try it out for me and it didn't sound too bad although the non existence of my experience means that I had nothing to compare it with.

5. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

viccp073, I've been looking around at a few Princeton Chourus amps recently for a drag around and I have been seeing plenty in good to excellent shape from $100 to $200 or a little above. I think, like morroben stated, $275 is too high. You can get into used tube range at that price. Probably because of it being in a Music Store. Try to find one on Craigslist. Good luck!

6. viccp073

viccp073 TDPRI Member

Just out of curiosity, I did a search on ebay and you guys were right. $275 is a bit much for it. I'm seriously considering other options...

7. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Axis29 hit it with the Vibro Champ XD for $249. You didn't state what you are looking to spend. Super Champ XD for $299.

8. viccp073

viccp073 TDPRI Member

Sorry, should have mentioned that I would like to keep it under $300. I'd rather practice on a cheaper amp and find out what my preferences are than commit to something of a sizable spending.

9. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

10. lostpick

lostpick Tele-Afflicted

$200 tops
    IMHO one of Fender's Best Solid State Amps
    50 watts thru two tens
    Great chorus
    ok Reverb
    usable and tweakable distortion
    I had one
    Shoulda kept it

11. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

12. petebradt

petebradt Former Member

No.

13. viccp073

viccp073 TDPRI Member

I think the general response I have received so far is that this is an ok amp but certainly not worth the money it's going for. And as some of you have pointed out, it's a solid state amp, which is not seen as a plus either.

Given the fact that I know so little about amps, I will take you guys' advice and invest my interest in something else. Super Champ XD seems like a good choice so I am leaning toward this one a bit.

Sincerely thank you all for helping out! I hope to be a regular member of this forum.

14. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

You certainly won't dislike the SCXD. Good amp. Have fun.

15. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

We hope so too!

16. MartyGrant

MartyGrant TDPRI Member

A Super Champ XD would be a terrific first amp for you, IMO; nice sound, tube enhanced, light weight, not real expensive (saw a blem for $260...missed it), lots of sounds/effects to play around with...tune your ear, find "your tone(s)" and discover what your "next" amp should do for you. This is probably all the amp you will need for a few years and I believe will be a lot of fun for you. You will probably keep that amp forever...

17. brown meadows

brown meadows Tele-Meister

I used one of these about 15 years ago, and I recall it being a decent amp...very versatile. If I were you I'd offer the guy 200 or 225 tops. It is great for someone starting out. Tube amps would be more appreciated after you've been playing a while...or at least it was in my case. Heck, starting out a Vox Pathfinder 15R would suffice.

18. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

The quote was:

So I think we're mixing apples and oranges here maybe.

If you're interested in a beginner practice amp for the bedroom you can get a very decent sounding brand new solid state amp for less than $120!

Here would be my recommendations:

Peavey TransTube Rage 158
    Crate FW15R
    Fender Frontman 15R

Many others also like the Vox Pathfinder 15R. However, I, and others , have had "reliability" issues with it.

19. CJohnson

CJohnson Tele-Meister

I've played through a Princton Chorus for around five years. I borrowed one from my cousin for about three years than when he wanted it back, I played through several amplifiers and ended up buying another one off ebay. Mine has black knobs rather than red, but I love the amp. I think it has a great clean tone and good chorus and reverb. I think I paid around $200.00 plus shipping for mine.

20. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A friend had one and I was very disappointed with it's tone (lack of tone?) but that's compared to my tube amps.

It was reliable and got the job done. It's more amp than you need to practice at home. I wouldn't pay more than $200.

You can find a lot of smaller and better sounding solid state amps for less money.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.