1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is Fender’s “Tre-Verb” the Boss FRV-1?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by markesquire, May 13, 2020.

1. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

Fender apparently discontinued its license with Boss to produce the FRV-1 reverb, which many rated as one of the best spring reverb pedals available. Soon after, Fender released the Tre-Verb, with ‘63 spring mode, as well as ‘65 spring and plate reverbs (along with tremolos).

Is it safe to assume that buying the Tre-Verb gets you the Boss FRV-1 sounds, along with a lot extra?

Telecaster88 likes this.
  2. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

Bump

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I owned the FRV-1 twice and I have to say it’s not that great. That’s just my opinion, based on use of tube and FET circuits and springs. If they used the circuit, cool, but if not I hope they grabbed some pointers from the Topanga. A Topanga with Oceans 11/FRV-1 drip would be ideal for drip disciples, otherwise any ol’ spring emulation will do, like those from Flint/Polara/and now this very cool Fender pedal.

RetroTeleRod and igor5 like this.
  4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fender only licensed Roland/BOSS to use their trademarked names, the circuits in the BOSS pedals were 100% Roland. If you're interested mainly in spring reverbs, check out the EH Ocean's 11. Killer spring sounds without breaking the bank.

fendrguitplayr and igor5 like this.
  5. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

I had that Boss pedal. I honestly think it was one of the worst reverb pedals I’ve ever heard. My only regret in selling it was that I didn’t wait long enough for the prices to go up. I’ve played through an actual Fender 63 reverb and that pedal is no where close. NO WHERE.

The Topanga is the best spring pedal I have used. I do want to check out the Tre Verb sometime though.

To answer your question “Is the Tre Verb the Boss pedal?” God, I hope not.

jh

BorderRadio likes this.
  6. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Just get the Boss RV-6. The best of all worlds. I had the Oceans 11, but the splash on the spring setting is too pronounced and unnatural.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

That’s what I mean by “drip disciples”. A ‘good’ spring reverb will bounce those drips easily, and have to be dialed out by reducing the dwell and darkening the tone. Then it’s just a murky reverb...not worthy of note, might as well be a smooth plate.

But I also agree, the Oceans 11 is drippy but it’s painted on, like the FRV-1. The only digital emulation I know that tries to understand what the spring is doing is Source Audio, and I used a True Spring and own a Ventris. It’s a good model, but it can’t drip like my FETs, tubes, and real springs do...totally unnatural and pronounced, as is the point for drip sounds.

Switchy likes this.
  8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I've never tried the FRV-1.

I own a Digitech Polara and a Fender Tre-Verb right now. I bought an Oceans 11 when it came out and ended up returning it. The Oceans 11 is for you if you want a zillion different sound in a pedal but are maybe less concerned about how natural they are and how controllable the pedal is. "Painted on" is a really great description of the Oceans 11, sometimes it sounds very fake. The "kick the tank" thing in the Oceans 11 is horrible, it plays the same damn sample every time. I can get a better splash out of some of these more realistic pedals by just slapping muted strings hard against the guitar, and it will actually sound different every time if you vary how hard you slap.

The Tre-Verb sounds killer if you use the '63 outboard tank emulation and you want a ton of Reverb. I have had the Tre-Verb for 6 months and i keep bouncing back and forth putting it on my pedal board and taking it off. Right now I am thinking I may get rid of it. I find the '65 Blackface reverb on it too bright. The Plate is kind of OK but not amazing. But the main thing with it is the reverbs in the Tre-Verb seem hard to control. It feels like the sweep on the pots is wrong. It feels very hard to dial in a subtle reverb. It's always very in your face and very bright I guess, especially on the '65 model. But if you're going to play surf it is *dead* on, it sounds amazing. The issue is by the time you have blend and/or dwell on about 2 out of 10 it already sounds surfy. The sweep is nothing like the real reverbs in the Fender amps AFAICT. When I've tried Fender amps it's very easy to have "a little reverb".

Tremolo in the Tre-Verb is similar for me.. tough to get in between sounds, it seems really in your face and fiddly to adjust, and if you don't want something very similar to the Fender amps you're out of luck.

I am mostly happy with the Polara + a TR-2. The Polara does a medium amount of stuff, and does those things better than something like the Oceans 11. For the one thing the Tre-Verb is really amazing at it beats the Polara. But the Polara gets really really close to that and does a bunch of other stuff better and the knobs on the Polara are just perfectly set up. Likewise the TR-2 gets very close to everything but the harmonic tremolo and does it in a simpler and very controllable way. I don't actually like the Harmonic Tremolo in the Tre-Verb anyway, I perhaps just don't like Harmonic Tremolo.

My guitar teacher has a Topanga. I haven't really thought it competes with any of these pedals. It just seems older.. but like the Polara it's better than some of these at being subtle.

All of these except the Oceans 11 have a good WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) interface, the Oceans 11 gets very confusing. Now that the Oceans 12 is out with hopefully a better interface I'm not sure why you'd look at the 11, there's so much functionality in there the bigger box is worth the space.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Telecaster88 likes this.
  9. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Ok, and that answers questions I had about the Tre Verb. It sounds good in the videos, but real life is always different. I’ll stick to my Topanga.

jh

10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah.. if you were to have the Tre-Verb on stage forget about adjusting it between songs. It would drive me insane, it's too hard to dial in anything other than "dripping in surf". That was basically what got me back to using the Polara.. I put the Polara back on and was leaving it on a more subtle reverb and I'd turn one or the other off rather than trying to adjust the Tre-Verb. And I'm not even playing out!

Both the Polara & TR-2... no issue at all reaching down quickly to adjust them between different settings. Want to do a helicopter with the TR-2 and then go back to something subtle? No problem. Want to switch the Polara from dripping in surf to a dark plate sound and then back, no problem.

Oceans 11... you might never get it to do the same thing 2x.

11. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

BOSS

R
    V
    -

RetroTeleRod and emisilly like this.
  12. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I agree. It didn’t like the Boss unit much at all.

RetroTeleRod and tce63 like this.
  13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have both a DRRI and the Boss pedal (for my amps which have no reverb).

The audio property fine details only matter 1) in the studio (and you’d use a real spring circuit there ) and 2) by yourself to please yourself.

Live, an audience won’t know one way or the other. In a band live mix, it matters not a jot.

howardlo likes this.
  14. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

2) by yourself to please yourself. That was the problem. The pedal just straight up sounds horrible and quite literally was painful to hear.

jh

15. BorderRadio

Live is kinda dead right now. The studio is where good things happen just the same. Pleasing the self, are we not in the West, no?

All I want to say is that sometimes reverb is an effect that becomes the basis of a sound/genre. It matters enough that we talk about it a lot :)

Lies&Distortion likes this.
  16. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

the frv1 owns, it sounds most like a real mechanical spring unit than out of all the small-format pedals without spring tanks. it gets weird and harsh and over the top quite quickly on the control, you don't have a wide variety of "sensible" reverb sounds, but it just about nails what it's supposed it imo.

fwiw i have two 70s amps with great built-in, valve-driven reverbs that i like only slightly more than the frv1.

tce63 likes this.
  17. BorderRadio

I hear that. At the time of release, it was a quick high, for one sound really, which was best at moderately high dwell, the appropriate mix, and tone never ever ever above 12 o’ clock. Then I realized it sounded the same every time, for every note. Putting dirt in front of it did not sound good, yet with a Topanga, it sounded visceral, and let OD/boost push through the signal to whatever was next in the signal path. Granted the Topanga doesn’t splat or drip like a real 6G15, but I preferred it every time over the two (I went back and forth). It’s now surpassed, IMHO, by the True Spring and O11 even.

tce63 likes this.
  18. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

you put the frv1 before the dirt, like a 6G15 into an overdriven amp. sounds brilliant.

tce63 likes this.
  19. BorderRadio

I’ve done that, and it’s nice for marring the rest of the sound. But I like to push both my tube and FET 6G15s with preamp/dirty boost, and then push the amp. The FRV1 can’t keep up with that, it’s little D/A chips catch fire and explode :D

tce63 likes this.
  20. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Agreed.

tce63 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.