1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is everyone in the UK alright after the earthquake?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by pengipete, Feb 26, 2008.

1. pengipete

pengipete Friend of Leo's

There was an earthquake at 1 am GMT. It was centered in the east of England but we felt it all the way over here in Gloucester in the southwest.

For the non-Brits, earthquakes beyond almost unmeasurable tremors are extremely rare in the UK and the few that do occur are normally very localised.

According to the BBC the quake measured 4.7 and there has been quite a bit of damage around many areas of the country. There are no reports of any serious injuries.

We only had a couple of seconds of tremor but it shook the house and a few things fell of the shelves. My wife's Barry manilow CD was the only casualty - at least that's what I told her ;-)

The poor old dog hated it. She shot out of her bed and was running around in panic with her ears and tail down. She's chilled now but she's crashed out next to me on the sofa rather than going back into her basket.

I hope that everyone is OK and that no-one has suffered any harm or damage.

Pete

2. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

What? The quake made it fly out the window, and down the street? I hate it when that happens.....:p

3. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

sounds like y'all gottta whole lotta shakin' goin' on !

4. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I felt it!

I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not, thanks for letting me know I'm not insane! :D

The floor shook slightly for about 3 seconds, really wasn't that bad here. :)

5. markothefish

markothefish Friend of Leo's

I've never heard of something like that happening in the U.K. area before . Has this ever happened in recent memory ? As for your Dog , just give him another Pint he'll calm down ... :lol:

6. Big John

Big John RIP

"Centred on the East of England ?", yeah i heard that on the news but -- ummm, we are in the East and slept through the whole thing, nothing moved, broken, busted and 4 cats as bouncy as ever.
    Did they mean "North East" i wonder ?

Damn, i wish i had read your eMail earlier though, i could have sorted out her CD collection once and for all !!, John Borrowman -- "Goodbye" :twisted:

7. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

we felt it for a second or two in Norfolk but frankly its a quake in a tea cup compared to the quakes some poor sods get out in Asia and Japan and even sunny California so I just count my lucky stars we live on a lump of rock without any tactonic plates sticking out far .Still a bit scary though at the time as we are not used to such events much

8. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Our house shook for about 10 seconds, up here in Skipton, North Yorks. The funny thing is that we sleep on the second floor of our house in a loft conversion, and we both awoke a few seconds BEFORE the tremor, and then felt it shake the house pretty strongly. Our two kids on the floor below slept right through it.

No damage though and all my guitars are safe too!!!

Sollophonic

9. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

Slept right through it, but I guess we didn't feel it here in London.

10. Gee

Gee Tele-Meister

I am a couple of hundred miles away from the epicenter and of course slept through the whole thing even though local news reports people felt it here. Thinking back though, my 2 cats were pretty "bouncy" last night.

The good news is that my wife was away yesterday and will not return until tonight. That gives me the whole day to figure out exactly how much earthquake damage was caused to her collection of Lighthouse Family, Simply Red and Cliff Richard CD's.

11. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

I think the morning news on NBC just completely ignored your earthquake!

I'd be pissed.

Maybe they got to it later on. But the icy rain in Nebraska was in the 1st news segment.

12. Ethical

Ethical Tele-Holic

It shook the house a bit and woke us up. About as exciting as tuning blancmange!

Ted

13. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Tele-Meister

Pengipete.....for YOUR sake hopefully the Barry Manilow cd was permanently
    trashed beyond playability ever again!

14. Big John

Big John RIP

Don't say you are still at that old 'tuning blancmange' trick up there ! ? !

:lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

Same here! just as you described. Spooky

16. Ethical

Ethical Tele-Holic

It passes the time while we wait for that new-fangled tricitty to arrive :~)

Ted

17. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The epicentre was at Market Rasen in Lincolnshire and by this morning the BBC was reporting 5.3 on the Richter scale. Not huge by California standards but the biggest tremor here for 25 years. Seemingly one unlucky guy suffered a leg injury caused by a falling chimney-stack, but no-one else was seriously hurt.

I didn't notice a thing here just to the north-west of London, being asleep at the time - but through long experience I'd probably have thought it was down to the wife snoring anyway.

18. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We felt it here in Ely for a few seconds just before 1AM. No damage to property though. It took a while to figure out what was going on, probably being half asleep at the time didn't help!

19. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Tele-Holic

Cheers Pete ! :D

All is O.K. here, although like Jman and probably many others, I awoke doubting my sanity to find an earthquake in progress ! :eek:

After all this is dear old England right ?

On the bright side, if the rare probability of an earthquake in the U.K. has been reached, then perhaps I'll get offered a place in another band ! :D

20. Telemaniac

Telemaniac Tele-Afflicted

40 miles to the West of London didn't feel a thing! In fact the first I heard was when I was stuck in a traffic jam near Heathrow (I work at Hanger Lane Gyratory which Londoners know is a nightmare), called the office, and they said maybe it was because of the earthquake . . . .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.