Is every Affinity Tele BSB?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by ElectricKaibutsu, Oct 16, 2016.

1. ElectricKaibutsu

ElectricKaibutsu TDPRI Member

I've decided to get an Affinity Tele, but the weirdest thing is how everyone owns the Butterscotch Blonde version. I have to say it is a beautiful guitar but looking at Fender's site there are at least five other colors. But through searches on TDPRI and YouTube, you would think BSB is the only color available. Honestly I'm partial to the Lake Placid, which sadly doesn't seem to exist anymore, so I'll most likely go BSB. But anyway, why do you think Butterscotch Blonde is the only color anyone talks about? Is it because it's a classic? Or is it because the other colors are just no good in comparison?

2. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

No one really seriously talks about Affinity colors. Or about other Fender model colors.

Color is irrelevant, and whatever color you like and is available makes no difference at all.

It's just the color.

3. Ser_Bob

Ser_Bob TDPRI Member

BSB is just the colour you associate with a classic Telecaster. Because of that it is the colour to most likely sell and therefore shops tend to stock them over other colours.

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Its the most popular finish, so I'd guess that's the largest production. Finish matters to some of us. I see some folks playing gosh awful looking guitars, and its obvious they don't care [or know] what they look like ;)

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Most often color I see is Black. Nearly every beginner player gets a black guitar to start on, Affinity is in the beginner player's budget, and so that's what I find on the used market. This extends to Epiphone entry models like the Specials.
    (I guess Fender's sales rates for all colors/models are black, red, white, then all the others)

There is some bias if you are drawn to BSB you may see more of them. Like when you buy a new car you start seeing many more of them on the road. You better get a BSB or you'll be pondering that for your second guitar purchase ;)

6. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

And then there are Indonesian string through BSB Affinities and Chinese top load BSB Affinities... ;)

I do think colour does matter. A lot of guitars are available on the second hand market in black I don't like black guitars... :( I don't need another guitar but for the price the Affinity in race green or orange is looking pretty nice to me. I don't mind the thinner neck, and would probably upgrade the pickups and electronics anyway (but I would have a nice looking guitar).

7. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

They had a sunburst and a cool looking orange Affinity with a rosewood fretboard neck at the local music store when I purchased my Butterscotch blonde. I was happy to see it didn't look school bus yellow like ther VM Tele I once owned.

nicod98 likes this.
  8. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Through some cosmic joke played by the universe, the nasty, yellowed finish of the originally white Telecasters has become synonymous with Telecasters to the point that folks have given it a name, and actually want new guitars painted in that shade.

Just think about what horrendous color the guitars being made with BSB nitro will look like in 50 years. ;)

And to be fair, I just bought a bbs affinity on Friday. But only because it was $75 used with a gig bag!

9. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

It's funny because I have seen a lot of the Arctic White ones up for sale used recently.

I bought a pristine one the other month for £80.

I have owned a number of Affinity Teles, and quite a few other colours too

My current beater Affinity is a dark blue colour

[​IMG]

Some of the older ones from the late 1990s came in some great colours, their surf blue colour is lovely, and the sunburst ones look nicer than the current Affinity sunburst IMO.

LeftyAl likes this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I have a BSB Affinity and I noticed also that those guitars are all over the place. I just did a search for that guitar and the first three that came up were BSB, gray (kinda cool), and sunburst. Incidentally, the BSB is more butterscotch than blonde. A bit deeper yellow than the old ones I think.

11. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

I was hoping to get an Arctic white Affinity . But being a lefty, BSB was my only choice. I have a Tele in an off white, and a bass in white . Was going for a trifecta . Oh , well .Still a good guitar for the price.I paid $179.00 Several years ago.I may as well keep it.I see them going for much less these days.I still think it was a good buy back then.

12. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

I bought one on Sunday, Guy I bought it from had only bought it new last May. Tbh the looks of the guitar had me straight away and I was more interested in making a get away with it before the guy realised that he had under priced it than sitting playing it in his house...
    I hope you find the colour you are looking for as a pleasing aesthetic can mean a lot to some of us.

the "Goose"...
    20161017_185445 (1).jpg

13. ElectricKaibutsu

LOL, I think you're right. I guess the BSB has just been calling to me which is why I notice it so much :).

I went to Guitar Center during my lunch today and played the two Affinity Telecasters they had on the floor. They were both BSB (of course!) and one of them played like a dream. That was my first time actually seeing one in person. I was VERY impressed.

14. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

Today I walked in a store that has literally every color Affinity up on Fender's website. Honestly, I was stunned at how good they look. Too bad I'm not a huge fan of the smaller body/neck. Made me wish Fender had a better color selection for their guitars, that's for sure!

15. ElectricKaibutsu

I'm jealous! My local Guitar Center has two Affinity Teles and they're both BSB. I'd love to check out some of the other Affinity colors.

I was actually surprised how much the smaller neck didn't bother me since I have bigger hands. I switched back and forth between the American standard but didn't notice as big a difference as I would have expected from reading some of the comments on TDPRI.

16. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread here but this is relevant to the discussion I'm hearing so far: I'm thinking to get an Affinity to use with some blues pickups I got a few weeks ago. And I want a BSB but with a white pick guard. But everyone I talk to says the Classic Vibes are a much better value. Most say the Affinity guitars need such upgrades (assuming you find one with a good fret board) that once you're done you likely even more than a good Classic Vibe would cost. What say ya'll? (I know the whole Affinity vs CV posts are everywhere but they all result in most saying, get a CV, so I'd like to hear what some of you who like your Affinity tele's have to say here).

17. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

I've never actually seen a BSB Affinity in person. When I bought mine, the local choices were black, blue, or red.

18. jamblehamblebum

jamblehamblebum Tele-Meister

this guys seriously talking about affinity colour and i;m joining in . so thats at least two of us. so that makes you erroneous. no offence

19. jamblehamblebum

jamblehamblebum Tele-Meister

i had a butterscotch affinity tele ,it was great , the pick ups were great, neck awesome. liked the toploader aspect . a mates got it now , but i sort of regret getting rid, wish they did more colours in the affinity range , i also have a classic vibe which is also terrific but if your on a budget i think the affinity gets you there , nice n light too the classic vibe is a tad heavy.

20. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I've got a BSB that's awesome that I got on trade that came in that color and have learned to like it.

If I had choice in a color I would want the Artic White with maple board. Love that look. Platefire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.