Is Demand outpacing supply for the Tone Master

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by burntfrijoles, Nov 19, 2019.

1. mabinogeon

mabinogeon TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I'd be interested in a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb for hauling around and tossing in and out of the truck if it was sub $500.

But I still can't help but think of solid state amps as basically "distortion pedals with a speaker," and $900 seems like a lot for that. But that's my own hang-up.

Les H likes this.
  2. pugnax

pugnax TDPRI Member

It's been brought up before, and it's obviously not as simple as it seems, but it would be hard to put together just the cabinet, chassis, and speakers for much less than $500.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just played a new Strat at GC last night, might have been an ultra?
    Roasted ash body, solid RW neck and the logo is engraved into the headstock so from a distance it looks like a parts Strat.
    Reeaally niceguitar with tallish not too wide frets that could have been SS by the whiter shine.

I was trading a D’Angelico EXL-1 Jazzbox for a D’Angelico DC 335 style and waiting for computer stuff.

Read up on the D’Angelico line and it really clarifies how unclear online guitar analysis is.
    Everything from they are total junk to they are better than US Gibson’s.
    No comprende!

4. telemnemonics

A nice repro cab is more than $300, plus the rest of the cosmetics and controls make it hard to sell in your price preference without cutting quality.

5. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

Wait six months to a year, there will be plenty of them out there and like others have said wait for the bugs to be ironed out. If you can't lift your tube amp to carry to the gig, perhaps you should be gigging anyway.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  6. mabinogeon

mabinogeon TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

100% agree. I neglected to mention that by sub $500, I meant used. I wouldn't buy one new.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    telemnemonics and pugnax like this.
  7. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Don't know about demand and this anecdote could easily have no causal link to the Tonemasters, but it does seem as if the number of used DRRIs and TRRIs offered on Craigslist out here has risen recently.

8. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

You’re trading Chuck Berry for Millie vanilly?

Ok, we all have to make our mistakes

beyer160 likes this.
  9. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I'm glad that telemnemonics understood my sarcastic sense of humor and realized that I wasn't picking on him or singling him out, but pointing out that Fender has a long history of mischaracterizing their product's features. And I agree completely with him that proper terminology is important, since language is how we communicate with each other. When fact becomes opinion then all reason goes out the window. It's important that we all know that "green" means green, because if some people call orange "green", then how are we to properly and accurately communicate with one another?

10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

What are these bugs that you and others are referring to, specifically?

11. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

is that class A true bypass water repellent power scaling?

pugnax likes this.
  12. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Holic

This is music to my ears :)

Alter likes this.
  13. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Years ago I pondered the idea of "What if someone reserved the attention to solid state amps as they did vintage tubes amps"? By that I mean instead of building a small cab out of OSB plywood and thick tolex you build a cab and chassis out of similar material once reserved for tube amps. Pine cabinet, thinner tolex (I consider fender tolex thin) heavier gauge chassis, better speakers etc. I often wondered how much of the cabinet translated into the tone recipe of older tube amps.

After further consideration I realized I had imagined a $1000 solid state amp and no one would pay that. 20 years later here we are.

Deathray and pugnax like this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

In 2019 it's all about money and manufacturers are hedging their bets very conciously with some of the products they launch. Not enough of a successful product can sometimes be worked to advantage, but too much of an unsuccessful product can tie up capital without sufficient sell-through and sink some careers. It's all about money and the answer to all questions is money.

15. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

It's a computer in a guitar amp that's been out for less than six months. Odds are, they'll need to fix something.

Les H likes this.
  16. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Keep the Princeton and buy the deluxe online and return it if you don’t like it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. telemnemonics

Leo got it right the first time but that was the last time!

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here we go again. Tube amps are not inherently better. They just aren't. You may have a preference for them, for many reasons. That's fine. But to believe they are objectively better is just, I don't know, odd? I don't want tube amps. I own none. Better still, I've finally jumped off the amp-of-the-quarter carousel and have never been happier with my tone and the feel of my amps.

Deathray and cyclopean like this.
  19. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I did it once... what? sorry I can't hear you

Well... all the gear I have tested so far claiming that doesn't do it, starting years ago and to nowadays. Even the so famous Kemper claiming to "clone" any amp. Actually I have done that, please, clone my amp... shure mate... tested and they are as similar as an egg and a chesnut

This discusion and hipe remembers me this:

[​IMG]

20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I thought the Tone Masters are designed to be a Fender Twin Reverb or Deluxe Reverb at half the weight?

Les H likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.