Is Demand outpacing supply for the Tone Master

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by burntfrijoles, Nov 19, 2019.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

To my knowledge neither of the local Guitar Centers or the Sam Ash store has had the Deluxe in stock.
    I am strongly considering replacing my beloved SE 12” Speaker PRRI with the TM Dlx Reverb but I obviously want to demo one first.
    The SE PRRI is a great amp for my needs. It’s a great pedal platform and it’s cleans are stellar. But....the TM has so much appeal.
    1. No tube maintenance/replacement.
    2. Power scaling
    3. Direct out with speaker IRs for recording.

I was expecting that Fender would have ramped up production enough for the bigger stores to have them in stock.

2. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

My amps are all tube amps....I've been considering Tone Master simply for the reduced weight. Heard the Twin Reverb A/B with a '70 tube model and it was different...but not that different.

3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I have yet to see one in a local store. When I inquired about them, I was told they were very hard to get... and that the next few of each that arrive (Twin / Deluxe) are already spoken for.

I think Fender has a success on their hands when it comes to sales.
    Whether or not the amps are a success has yet to be determined. Will the interest still be there in a year, in 5 years, etc... or will it just be a passing interest.

4. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

I was one of the few Johans that purchased the "updated" V2 of the Cyber Twin, so I'm gonna wait awhile before I think about a Tone Master with any real seriousness.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a large single-location store in town. They also said every TM amp is accounted for before it arrives and that doesn't get one in the hands of everyone who wants one.

Highly unusually, in the few months they've been selling them, no returns, exchanges or sales back to the store yet.

6. burntfrijoles

Wow! Sweetwater doesn’t have them. American Musical says 12/16 availability. GC says 12/23.
    Runaway hit!

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We are heading into the studio today for the first of hopefully 2 long sessions to record our next album.

I’m bringing my TMDR. The engineer says he wants to mic it and take the line out, giving him lots of control and flexibility.

I just like how it sounds ...

8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Manufacturing of this type doesn’t ramp up production, quickly. There are a lot of moving parts in that process. Also, I’d speculate that Fender had an initial production run that was small, so if sell-through was poor they wouldn’t have inventory sitting around.

marcflores likes this.
  9. burntfrijoles

I am confident that it will sound fine.
    Let us know how it performed in the studio.

10. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Also, short supply = demand... right before the holidays.

Wildcard_35 and noah330 like this.
  11. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Deluxe reverb has sold out at both thomann and musicstore (both are one of only 8 fender vip shops around the world).
    Yes, the demand has probably surprised them considering they cost a bit....or they where just careful.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is any amp so great compared to all other amps that buyers are upset to have to play their other amps due to back order?

Or is it possible that Fender knows buyers don't like to wait what with being dependent on the fulfillment feeling from unboxing new product, so they're making us wait to boost desire?

IDK but it still annoys me when an amp has a "power scaling" option but has no power amp with pleasing distortion being "scaled back" for lower volume dirt.
    Power scaling is just a more popular SS terminology now than MV, it's the new thing in SS amps yet it's a marketing lie.
    More and more, product marketing is bigger than product content.
    I'm sure it's a great sounding light weight amp, but a lotta SS amps are.

Wanting the newest big thing seems too often followed by that romance ending when the next better newest thing hits the market.

I'd say relax, run what you brung, wait for the holy grail, make sure it's really the be all end all...

Owenmoney, bsman and beyer160 like this.
  13. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Opinion ALERT: NEVER buy the first generation of anything like this.

14. burntfrijoles

Back in the day it was believed that the worst thing you could do to spoil a product launch was not have enough product available at launch. To some degree that can still be true. Look at what happened with Popeye's chicken sandwich. ;)
    Today I think it's more about supply chain economics. Plus, products can gain a mythical quality when they are hard to find. (Think of lines outside an Apple Store at product launch or the aforementioned Popeye's sandwich).
    Still, you can't sell what you don't have in stores.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  15. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Id really like to see the inside of one

That Cal Webway likes this.
  16. burntfrijoles

But does that still hold true for modeling? Can you not model overdriving the power stage?

codamedia and DougM like this.
  17. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

If you use scarcity to create high demand right before the biggest retail season of the year you can, though. Banjo Mart will happily take your credit card information today for a Tonemaster next month. RESERVE YOURS NOW!!! DON'T MISS OUT!!!!

anhj1t2.jpg

More here:
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...er-deluxe-and-tonemaster-twin.2063724/page-93

Who overdrives a Twin?

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well yeah that's a fair point, but why not use a term that's honest like output level or god forbid master volume?

Power scaling is the newest tube amp tech that does the MV thing differently by changing the power section.
    Similar to an attenuator in allowing the power tubes to distort while output volume is lower.

In a modeler that modeled distortion is not made in the power section, it is not scaling back the power amp, and in reality it ought to be doing a more sophisticated job in the digital preamp software section.

Claiming that the amp is scaling back the power section like a tube amp is kind of offensive to customers who know the difference.
    I'm not even convinced tube amp power scaling is the be all end all of great actual tube amp sound, so what it seems like to me is fakery to sell product.
    Not that I'm surprised in the 21st C to see dishonest representation of product in an attempt to make it sell better.

I'd be more impressed if Fender said they put the computer on a modular board so that we could replace the digital modeling section as the generations were improved. Keep your pine cab, power section and speaker, and just buy a new computer module every few years.
    That would be cool and impressive. And professional. And not planned obsolescence.

But suggesting that that power section can be turned down for lower volume dirt is IMO just dumb.

I hafta wonder how many times guitar players are gonna hear "this time for sure!/ watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat!" from manufacturers, and believe the holy grail has arrived.

I'm guessing that the only unique feature for the $900 is the cosmetics and the interface.

dalezjc likes this.
  19. burntfrijoles

Mesa is doing something different with the California Tweed. It has 4 6V6 Tubes. In full-powered 40-watt mode, the tubes run in class A/B pentode mode. For 30 watts, one pair of tubes runs in A/B triode mode and the other runs in A/B pentode mode. In 20-watt mode, only a pair of tubes is used in pentode mode. The same two tubes run as triodes in 10-watt mode. And at two watts, the pair runs in class-A parallel mode: one tube wired pentode and the other triode.
    I confess that I don't completely understand that but I get the point.

Regardless the TM Deluxe Reverb is appealing to me just so I don't have to worry about tubes.

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. burntfrijoles

Don't care about the Twin. Plenty of folks overdrive a Deluxe and that's my interest.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.