Is Dad pushing his little kid too hard???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, May 17, 2019.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Parent stuff,

Dave Crosby auditioned for AGT and didn't get too far. He has a nice voice and he plays nice acoustic but he didn't make the cut.

Now Dave's attention is on his young daughter and he is strongly pushing her on YouTube. I don't seek her out but she's always there when I scroll, and yes I'll watch and that's how they get me lol.

Dave posted this video that went big time viral,

Two years later Dave is hobnobbing backstage with well know acts and producers. I don't know how he gets those invites if he's not peddling his little girls talent. At six dad has got the ear and eye of Disney, big $$$.

Something smells a bit fishy though. Little Claire is having the time of her life oblivious of the true big hard business her dad is pushing her towards.

My personal feelings are dad could be setting his daughter up for a super fall. Little Claire at six has a cute six year old voice, but I don't hear the potential greatness in her voice, I would be surprised if she grew into an exceptional voice.

My question is, should dad have cooked his jets and let Claire enjoy small time local events until she is at least 10? I know Angelina Jordan got her first big exposure at 7 I think, but Angelina IS the exception because she is beyond awesome. Claire is not an Angelina.

I don't know, I'm a dad and I would not push my daughter into the biz quite like Dave is doing. What do you think.

Listen to this video of Claire and Darci Lynne, and when Dave shows up I can hear the pushy control he is holding in. Am I wrong? Later that night Claire was invited on stage to sing in Darci's show. I get this feeling pushy dad set that up too.

I think Dave should chill a bit.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I don't like to criticize Fathers as I like to believe that they always have their child's best interest in mind, but there are warning signs and nobody needs another Miley Cyrus.

3. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

I agree.

I was playing gigs every week when I was 10 and recorded an album when I was 12. In large part, this was because my father was a really pushy businessman (not even a musician). Growing up things were smooth until the kids my age started playing instruments and my interest in music making switched from playing music that my Dad liked to playing music that my friends my age liked. It has been pretty obvious he hasn't cared about any music I've played since.

I still resent the stuff he pulled when I was a young musician. I'll never forget him shoving one of my cassettes into an ailing Chet Atkins' hand in Nashville. Or him pushing me into an audition at "Country Tonight" in Branson. Glad I was a shy kid or maybe I'd have gotten the gig... and winded up home schooled in the Ozarks, as was going to be his plan.

My father has literally tried to sabotage my musical efforts as an adult from time to time. I won't get into it here, but suffice to say I have a pretty damn strong disdain for the antics of stage parents.

4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Stage dad?

rich815, Chunkocaster and ASATKat like this.
  5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Totally messed up. Children shouldn t be professional musicians. Look how screwed up Micheal Jackson was. Its obviously a matter of taste , but I don t care for musicians that started early, Mozart, MJ , Joe Bonamassa, Disney Clones.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  6. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Not musically related but give a read to Andre Agassi's autobiography titled Open. One of the greatest tennis players of all time hated the sport thanks to his Father. Cautionary tale for sure.

7. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

For some reason this post makes me think of the last day my kids did public sports ............... it was a great day.

Wildcard_35 and P Thought like this.
  8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The only pushing we've done has been at the basics, the dog rules. Early on pushing for kids knowing yes, no, sit, stay, come and independence. Pushing them to do much stuff outside of core good behavior and independence usually failed.

At times some hinted at our being wrong or failures because the kids did not keep at some stuff like music lessons or some sports. Now I feel kind of ____ you to those critics, friends and family members because we have 3 well behaved kids who are good decision makers. It would have been nice if they all liked and did same things the parents did or what we wanted them to do but I'm plenty happy with 3 kids who behave for the most part, use their minds, and use their bodies.

Using same gene pool and socialization - the kids of siblings and cousins - to compare results, it seems like we know who was or is right and wrong. I feel I see it outside of family too.

Push your kids with the obvious basics but be careful about how much else you're pushing.

Deeve and Teleterr like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't get past the first few seconds before thinking this kid shouldn't even be doing videos on YouTube. She is too young and I don't like the self promo angle coming from a child. Keep kids away from social media. They have plenty of time to feed their narcissism on social media after the age of 15.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Growing up, my brothers and I had MANY opportunities provided to us, from music lessons, instruments purchased, driving us to and from rehearsals and music stores, etc. My parents were VERY supportive to what we wanted to do, but never FORCED us to do things......OK, sometimes we were made to practice for lessons, but only to the point that, if we had wanted to quit, we could have.
    I suppose there is a fine line between "encouragement" and "forcing". Some parents draw that line in different places.

11. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Other people's kids aren't nearly as cute as they think.

Two years later and they're still doing "You've Got a Friend in Me"? That kid isn't working nearly hard enough, and neither is dad.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  12. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It does appear on the surface that the man might be pushing too hard. But my experience raising four now-grown children has left me very reluctant to advise anyone else about parenting.

I would like to point out that during that time I don't remember ever wanting advice from outsiders, though plenty was available.

Rustbucket, Milspec, Tonetele and 2 others like this.
  13. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Arrgg! I had gone for weeks w/o a thought of her. :(

:D

nojazzhere, Milspec and Toadtele like this.
  14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It is a foul business, especially for females. Anyone pushing their daughter into it ought to be given 40 lashes with a wet noodle.

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Tuttle kids looked like they were having fun when they were young and before Molly got real famous.

16. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

In the old days, it was stage-door moms... Dad had a real job and provided for his family, while Mom promoted her child ... IMO, Parenthood is not a free pass to exploiting minors ...

17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

from what little I know of show business, no way i'd push a child towards it.

18. FloInPA

FloInPA TDPRI Member

All I can think of when I hear this kind of stuff is what happened with Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. Dad was a pushy S.O.B. with them. When I see/hear this, I wonder what goes on behind the scenes as well.

19. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One of my buds worked as an actor & model during his childhood.
    He's better now, but the recovery path is harrowing.

Some of the best parenting advice I've been given is: "lean away - let her grow . . ."

Peace - Deeve

Milspec and Teleterr like this.
  20. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Look what Maury Wilson did to his son Brian. Can I get a sandbox?

Straydogger and Teleterr like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.