Is Crybaby Classic true bypass?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by MikeG, Nov 23, 2012.

1. MikeG

MikeG TDPRI Member

Okay, so this is the question that seems to be asked a lot of times, but my search gave me a lot of vague answers. Can anyone actually confirm it's true bypass? Those who opened this model wah would be appreciate.

On a side note, if anyone knows if current-production MXR CC and EHx Memory Boy are TB?

Thanks!

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Memory Boy - True Bypass
    http://www.ehx.com/products/memory-boy1

Cry Baby Classic - True Bypass
    http://stinkfoot.se/archives/524
    The GCB-95F Crybaby Classic seems to be better built – it has a 2.2M pulldown resistor on the circuit input (where it is supposed to go), but nothing at all that affects the bypass line. So it is proper true bypass, thus (at least Revision A, which was the one I had on the bench).

MXR CC - Not sure, but it has a good bypass either way

3. MikeG

MikeG TDPRI Member

Thank you very much, that was really helpful.

4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

No problem - Welcome to the forum.

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

If you go to the Dunlop "Blog" section, you will find an article discussing bypass versions on their pedals. It lists every pedal they make (at least up till the time the article came out a couple of years ago), and what type of bypass it has. Basically, if Dunlop describes it as "hardwire bypass", it's not really true bypass, it's the same old tone-sucking bypass method used in the past (board is still connected to input when pedal is in bypass). If it is described as "true hardwire bypass", it is real true bypass (circuit board disconnected in bypass). You have to know the misleading terminology they use. On many Dunlop/MXR pedals they have added input buffers instead of using true bypass to supposedly counteract the tone-suck, but lately they have been changing over many of their pedals to actual true bypass wiring, so earlier versions of some pedals will not be TB while some later revisions do have TB.

Al

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/blog/what-is-true-bypass/

6. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

In other words, to answer the OP, yes, the Crybaby Classic is true bypass.

Had mine for years - absolutely no tone suck.

7. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry for the old thread resurrection:

I have a regular old GCB-95 CryBaby (today called the Classic, apparently) purchased in 1989. I'm guessing it is NOT true bypass. Anyone know the scoop on the older models???

Pics below.

Thanks.

DSC08132.JPG

DSC08133.JPG

DSC08134.JPG

DSC08131.JPG

8. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

No, it's not true bypass. I modded mine, you need a switch and a bit of skill with a soldering iron. if you Google it there is info on how to mod different versions.

E5RSY likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think the crybaby mini wah's are also true bypass.

I've got a BBE ben wah I bought cheap about 5 years ago. I remember hearing about some controversy surrounding them and another boutique wah pedal but cant remember what the story was. Guessing the wah might have just been rehoused and called something else for a premium price.

When I bought it I thought it might have been a clone of the crybaby 535Q wah seeing as it has the same selector knob for voicings on the side.

10. E5RSY

Vertex, I believe.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes. It was Vertex. That seemed to be their business model.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

I have one about the same age. It definitely was a tone sucking monster. I modded it to be true bypass. It helped, but the replacement switch I used is shorter than the original. I stuck a chunk of rubber on the treadle to shim it out. I should get a switch that fits it but I don't use it enough to bother.

13. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

The BBE wah is based on the vintage Vox Clyde McCoy wah as far as tone. I love mine, I bought it because it was the most vintage sounding Vox-sound wahs that wasn't expensive. I like it better than any Dunlop wah I've ever played, but I haven't tried all of them.
    Al

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't know that, I bought mine based on reviews and like the sound of it too. I've also got a vox wah that's one of the chrome newer versions from about 8 years ago. I like the BBE much more.

15. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

The Classic is a completely different model than the standard GCB-95, which you have. Older 95s are easily modded to true bypass, as well as sweep and frequency, etc... Keep it, fix it the way you want it, for pennies.

The newer Classic is 95F. It has a ‘red’ fasel, and is true bypass. It cannot be modded easily, as it’s SMD. Believe me, I tried. It’s true bypass, but has a narrow sweep, and is too nasally for me. I would sell it, but it’s not worth the effort for what I would get for it. Yuck.

E5RSY likes this.
  16. E5RSY

The original unsealed pot on mine sounds horrible (scratchy) at this point, even after hitting it with some de-Oxit. Are the current Dunlop replacement pots worth a try in this thing?

17. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Not sure. Probably overpriced, though. Good pots are plentiful. Lots of internet stores that specialize in pedals. Also, you can post to burnt fingers sub, and someone will point you in the right direction.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.