Is Craigslist dead? Amp Sale Tonight.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by b2187101, May 28, 2020.

1. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

I admit, I buy and sell a lot of gear for various reasons. I have only been using Craigslist for years and search it every night just to see what's out there. I had a VOX 15 watt, two channel amp head for sale for two years on Craigslist and only extremely low ballers, not hagglers... I don't mind honest haggling.

My brother suggested Facebook market. I posted for one day and got full, fair price!

Everyone I've personally met on Craigslist, in public places, buying and mainly selling, have been really nice, honest, musicians. I know there are horror stories, but not for me.

I think I'll stick to Facebook Market from now on.

nojazzhere and Telecastoff1 like this.
  2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I use CL all the time and I look every day. Lately though there are items that have been on there forever and they are not budging on prices. I would write this off as poor sellers.....in more ways than one. There are deals but they get jumped on quick.

Dan_Pomykalski and b2187101 like this.
  3. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

I never see anything I'm interested in on Craigs. Massive amount of mislabeled, mislisted garbage. And a lot of stuff called "this" when it's actually "that"...

jackcg, Switchy, Deeve and 1 other person like this.
  4. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

The sale on Craigslist just isn't there. I thought the price for the amp head was extremely fair for two years on Craigslist. The guy from Facebook drove about 75 miles one-way to pick it up... so he must have thought so too.

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Offer Up.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I always list on both places.

b2187101 likes this.
  7. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

Facebook Marketplace has your name. could that make a difference?

dented likes this.
  8. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I've noticed more action on FB Marketplace than Craigslist for the last year or so. Maybe it's because people are already on FB, and it's a short hop over to the marketplace section?

Facebook Marketplace has A name, whether it's yours or not is up to you.

Work_in_progress and Preacher like this.
  9. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

Craigslist has gone to hell in my area. Same stuff reposted endlessly at retail+ prices. As a seller, if you try to sell at a more realistic price point, you still have people hoping you need drug money. For decent stuff, not trash. I just sell on Reverb now and even with taxes, shipping, hassle factor, etc., I still do better and the goods move fast.

Work_in_progress likes this.
  10. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I buy almost all my gear from pawnshops.

There's no guitar shop or forum classified that can come close to the deals I get on quality guitars, basses, amps, and pedals from pawnshops.

When it comes to selling, I list on FB Marketplace and E-bay.

The only reason I'm using E-bay right now, is because E-bay offered my son 50 free auctions.

They take no money whatsoever on any of the auctions.

I've been killing it right now on my sales.

My last 3 sales on E-bay were on 3- 80's Boss Pedals I picked up at a pawnshop for $100 for all 3.

I sold 2 of the pedals for $200 each, and 1 for $150. So I made $450 off them

There's no way I would have made that type of profit off of CL or FB Marketplace.

So lately I've been looking mainly for super cheap instruments that I personally don't really care to keep for myself, but flip quickly.

I'm saving up all the profit for something I might run into later on, that I really want for myself.

11. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

buy low and sell high. i gotta try that!

b2187101, Texsunburst59 and skunqesh like this.
  12. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Everything listed at retail prices. No thanks, even eBay has more protection and better deals.

13. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Arbitrage! :cool:

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  14. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I buy a lot of stuff on FB Marketplace these days, but it has the same problem that CL has....too many sellers never respond. I purchased a low mile Lincoln Town Car off FB Marketplace 2 years ago. I spent 2 weeks straight trying to get the guy to respond to his listing and even his phone number. I finally drove 90 minutes to his city and tracked him down just to buy the car. He told me that he never looks at his messaging because it is full of scams and will not answer the phone if it wasn't one of his contacts. How the hell he expected to sell anything under those conditions is beyond me.

From what I see, there are far better deals on FB Marketplace, but I don't know if it reaches a lot of people. I still check CL listings every week too, but since the virus thing, nobody wants to have contact with a seller or a buyer so it really is dead right now. Buying online from Amazon or fleabay remains the way to go so that it arrives at your door without human contact.

15. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I’ve never used either but my mother has bought a lot from Facebook marketplace, she buys mostly nick knacks like jars and pottery/ furniture, she’s told me even with stuff like that if she doesn’t jump on it right away it will be gone the next day, which surprised me a lot
    She listed some obscure trailer parts that my father had and within hours a fellow from a few states away bought them for full price and drove up to get them

So there’s people out there on Facebook that want whatever you have

I don’t use Facebook though it sure seems easy to sell stuff on it

16. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I wish we had pawn shops like that around here, 90% of the pawn shops here know what they have and barley even let you haggle and are more like full retail shops (not that I want to rip them off but when they pay 25% of an items value they should at least have wiggle room) so the days of finding decent gear at pawnshops is about dead around here

Although I did find a mij boss flanger at a shop for a great price

Seems most shops are lower end too as if you have decent equipment it’s going on eBay or reverb

Texsunburst59 and televillian like this.
  17. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

Interesting to read this. I worked for a pawnshop for a while, many years ago. Everything we ever took in on loan, we checked eBay for the resale value. Then we loaned around 20-40% of the resale. I worked in the eBay department most of the time, and I would always look up equipment to see what it was worth on eBay. And we almost never sold the good stuff in the shop - it was all listed, and we did hundreds of thousands of dollars in eBay sales each year. I used to take in guitars on loan for $200 and resell them for $1000 on eBay when the owner defaulted. If there were any deals to be had, the store knew about it first! I assumed all pawnshops were doing the same thing. This was fifteen years ago...

18. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Meister

CL in my area has been really weak. Not much gear. I’ve had much better luck buying and selling on FB marketplace.

19. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Facebook market is every bit as bad as Craigs.

You just got lucky.

20. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

FB Market is so much easier than CL. I know CL has an app, but FB market you can check for something for sale in the market place. Say you were looking for a left handed golf driver and did not see anything that interested you. But a week later you are on FB checking out what the people you are friend with are doing and a notification comes up with a picture of a left handed golf driver suggestion that went up on FBM a few days ago. That never happens on CL.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.