Is chorus really used much these days, for "current" music?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Totally retro here. You even still burn CDs.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  2. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Popular today or not? I have no idea. Not concerned about it either.

Do I like using it on occasion? Sure do! So, I DO. :lol:

JayFreddy likes this.
  3. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

If you're a little off on your chorus setting (or somebody can't hold time), it still usually works okay. If you're off on delay...well that don't work.

4. Mirrorshades

Mirrorshades TDPRI Member

These fellas seem to be doing alright for themselves, and the chorused/compressed signal on this song is LUSH to the point of insanity.

awasson likes this.
  5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I say regardless of whatever is going on around you... if you feel chorus is a good FX for whatever you are doing... use it! Set your own sound and stick to it!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    bluesholyman likes this.
  6. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    I don't hear much chorus these days, but I use mine enough (80s Small Clone). Shallow depth with a slow rate thickens thing up nicely. I use it to cheat for a 12 string sound when I'm too lazy to lug the add'l guitar. And finally, a deep depth and faster rate let's me approximate (real close) that organ sound when we do Jewel Akens' The Birds And The Bees. :)

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I still use it in moderation. I just started using a reverb pedal and I have a reverb/chorus setting that I use for acoustic guitar. It sounds glorious to my ear.

8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I like how it fills out and thickens a single voice.... kind of like a.... CHORUS! Haha! :lol:

rickthescot and Ira7 like this.
  9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Almost ALL pedal makers offer chorus pedals,some more than one option,so SOMEBODY must be using them.

RoyalBaby, t guitar floyd and DHart like this.
  10. SB Havidson

SB Havidson TDPRI Member

When I owned a Boss CE3, I did sometimes use a chorus, expecially when I could plug in stereo in the board. I also enjoyed it when I was in John Scofield mood.

I sold it when I moved to acoustic only and sometimes I tried the choruses in my acoustic amps (a Fender DSP and now an old Trace Acoustic). One the one hand, the sound is much transparent but on the other hand, it has no magic. Moreover, I miss a context where chorus would add something.

Today, 80s sounds come back in fashion but unfortunately, chorus is not included.

11. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I love chorus. For that matter, I also love Flanger and Phase shifter.

I used to use one of them almost all the time. Then about 5 years ago, while listening to a live recording of our worship band, I thought that the band sounded great, except that the guitar sound belonged in the 80s.

That experience led me here. I no longer use phaser, flanger, or chorus, but now own more guitars than I can play, more amps than I really need, and too many pedals (although not nearly as many as some of you reading this post).

And, I must admit, I have a multi-pedal with a delay that includes chorus. Sometimes I put chorus on the delay.

chris m. likes this.
  12. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

I use a Source Audio Orb for 'barely there' chorus at times to create a different type of spacial element in the sound. It's different than delay or reverb in this context, and you wouldn't really identify it immediately at a traditional chorus effect.

13. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Taj Mahal uses it for watery calypso solo guitar

14. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I think chorus gets a bad rap these days. Must have been all those cheesy, hair metal ballads from the 80's/early 90's. I think it's great when used right. It's really the only modulation I use.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is guitar really used much these days for current music?

Flange seems to be making a comeback!

16. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I use mine once in a while, but I admit I am still in the "trial and error" phase. It seems to sound good in some songs, but not good in others, and I'm still trying to put my finger on exactly why, in a way that will make me better at predicting and knowing when to use it.

17. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Chrissie Hynde still uses hers...

18. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I think chorus suffers from association with an era when the fads of the day - hairstyles, clothing, cars, music, furniture - seem painfully dated and goofy-looking.
    And from some highly overplayed music, popular in the day, that used very heavy chorus, that we still haven't gotten over being tired of hearing.

If I put the images of the video out of my mind, I actually like "Don't Dream it's Over" which is fairly awash in chorus.

People are still using chorus, they just aren't making Dated Over-Chorused Pop Music wearing padded shoulder jackets and mullet haircuts.

There is a bigger question here - compared to the late 80s/early 90s, there are so many more avenues to make, record, find, download, stream, or otherwise listen to music that it's impossible for any one sound to dominate like it used to.
    There will likely never be another decade where all you hear on the radio is Spandex Clad Hair Metal. But if you're a big fan of that, or Dated Over-Chorused Pop Music, there's probably a FaceBook page just for you.

19. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Yeah man, I can dig that. I just rediscovered my chorus and flanger pedals and have been having a lot of fun experimenting with the sounds I can create with them.

Modulation effects are like that though, in that it's easy to overuse them, but used tastefully and musically, they can make some very interesting sounds.

Since all my amps have two channels (right now), I've been getting most of my overdrive sounds from the amp. The lone OD pedal that seems to keep turning up on my pedalboard is my trusty SD-1, which freed up space on my board, so I replaced a DS-1 and a Rat with a Boss flanger and a TC Electronic chorus.

Fun sounds to be had, for sure.

20. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Auto tune a few years ago was the contemporary version of over used 80's chorus.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.