Is chorus really used much these days, for "current" music?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Feb 26, 2019.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I can think of plenty of songs, especially from the 80s (decade of chorus) and some from 90s, most famously "Come As You Are" by Nirvana that use chorus - just wondering if it is much these days for newer songs, etc.

2. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Holic

Don't hear it much- never use mine anymore...

Dan R likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

That's one of Pat Metheny's signature sounds (even if it isn't technically chorus, it sounds like it!). He uses it less these days, but this is from 2014.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It’s kinda “out”, and I’m glad.

emisilly, Fiesta Red, src9000 and 2 others like this.
  5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Unfortunately, I don't even have to think about it any more - there's a bunch of commercials on the TV using parts of those songs!

IMO, chorus has got to be the easiest effect to overdo it with. I like how Alex Lifeson used it, pre-80's. And Message In A Bottle is one of my all time favorite songs with chorus, and that's pre-80's, too.

But to answer your question, I'm pretty sure that Tool's (second, and AFAIK, current) bass player (Justin Chancellor) uses chorus for some stuff, along with flanger and other types of those effects. I think his style and sound left an impact on other "heavy music" bassists in other bands, so I'd expect that you probably still have some of that going on now.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Like any tool it’s in the use.

“Chorus” has become an essential pedal on my board. And we’re still cutting records so I guess that’s current.

But I’m more likely to use it for a Hammond or Leslie effect than as a true chorus.

But even as a true “chorus” it’s a nice way to add texture to a guitar part so it finds space without excess volume.

awasson, Matt G, aerhed and 2 others like this.
  7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I don't hear much chorus with guitars these days. If there is, it's probably set very light, barely perceptible. If it's
    set very light it can give an illusion of more body and fullness, especially for amplified acoustic guitar, without being
    very noticeable as an actual effect.

For a warbly effect I'm still partial to my Phase 90. I like it on the slowest setting to get a slow envelope effect
    while playing chords. Sometimes I crank it up to full speed for a Scofield-like effect as well over lead parts. Some guys love
    Univibes, some love tremolo/vibrato, some love chorus, some love flanger. Phase 90 is my go to option for
    all of the above-- a nice, pleasant warble available at a variety of speeds.

Greggorios and leonard d rock like this.
  8. JodanOrNoDan

JodanOrNoDan Tele-Meister

LOL. You guys are funny. Mine is almost always on. And gasp!, i've been known to use a flanger as well.

9. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Just listened to a sampler of the current weekly Top 40. Not only did I not hear any chorus, I didn't even hear a GUITAR.

emisilly, czech-one-2, JSMac and 10 others like this.
  10. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I've seen Bonamassa use a Blue Hippo like this also.

11. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

I feel like chorus/flange has made a big comeback in the last couple of years. I am listening to It Looks Sad on AudioTree live right now and the guitar player has a flanger on!

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Junkyard Dog, I bet some of those keyboard sounds included chorus. Vocals, too! LOL.

awasson and Junkyard Dog like this.
  13. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

I hear a lot of modulation effects including chorus in indie music but they are certainly used differently now than in the 80s. Generally faster modulation speeds with lower depth and/or wetness compared to the big 80s chorus sound. To be fair, the "chorus" setting I use on my Moog Clusterflux is much closer to a true vibrato, but it's a great sound!

14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I just got a TC stereo chorus. I use it on the trip chorus setting. That really takes away of what you think about a chorus should sound like, unless you really crank it But in a stereo setup it really adds a lot of depth to the sound.. it sounds like an arena in here now

15. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Chorus is an effect for those too scared to use true vibrato ;-)

t guitar floyd and bluesholyman like this.
  16. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

My primary gig these days is with the church's praise team. Since I'me the only electric, working against several acoustics, a light chorus sometimes get's me above the mix, both while chording and soloing.

bluesholyman likes this.
  17. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I have been gassing for the Boss DC-2w for awhile now, it can impart a wide stereo image without the swooshing chorus thing. On one side, as I get older, I really have come to love simple things like a good tremolo or even nothing. On the otherside, as a perpetual adolescent, I like harmonizers, echoes, chorus etc,... I still get inspired by them. The song usually decides what I get to use though,... stoopid song thinks its always right,.. hmph! When I finally get a DC-2w I will write a song that needs it ;)

awasson likes this.
  18. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

The guitar in this live recording is even a little more dry and cutting than in some studio recordings of the band I've heard. Bonus chorus on the bass.

19. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Hell yes. For years I ran a stereo chorus rig, then moved away from it for a while. Recently I built a new rig and went back to stereo and it sounds glorious. I also have a Leslie 16 powered by a separate amp, when I use it all at the same time it's like a choir of fallen angels.

I don't give a damn if it's in vogue or not.

IMG_3140.JPG

Leslie on the left, Traynor and the AC30 are the stereo rig, the fenders on the right are my clean rig.

20. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

For years and years I definitely considered chorus an "off limits", aka corny, effect. Some kind of switch went off in my brain 2 years ago and I fell in love with its effective use (pun acknowledged). My band is a trio so I find different textures really help our show stay dynamic and interesting. I also have an electric mistress clone I use a little bit.

t guitar floyd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.