Is Celestion Vintage 30 the ultimate speaker?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by scout2112, Dec 5, 2019.

1. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I've never actually owned or played through a real V30 before, but I'm part of an amp modeling community and I'll just say using V30 impulse responses comes up all the time on forum threads... This is totally non-empirical, but to me it seems to be one of the most revered speakers out there. I personally use V30 on my live shows more than any other speaker. It's very natural sounding (balanced across the frequency spectrum without any spikes that I can detect), isn't ice-pick trebly like a lot of others, yet cuts through the band mix very well.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yes, it covers that guitar mid centered punch well.
    They come OEM in many new amps.
    They (Celestion) also have others that tweak that area.
    (Creamback,G12h30 Anniv,G12M65,Greenie,Blue,Gold,Cream) imho
    Had them all, and hard to weight against each other.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Shuster likes this.
  3. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Jack of all trades speaker to me, it works with so many different amps,,,

4. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

It’s popular for a reason. Like any other speaker it works well with some amps and sounds terrible with others.

Ultimate speaker? No such thing.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

I have a 1x12 V30 equipped cabinet I use with my Marshall and Orange heads... love it.

6. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I have an old one that I bought in 1995 or thereabouts. It has sounded great in every amp I used it in.

Many people do not use Celestions in black-face Fender amps because the Celestion likes mid-range, and the Fender likes scooped-mids. My own experience is that an old Celestion V30 marries up very nicely with a Princeton Reverb, and works quite well for rock'n'roll/classic rock club and bar shows.

7. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

I'm a celestion guy. Right now I'm all about the Greenback

codamedia likes this.
  8. chillybilly

chillybilly TDPRI Member

Ugh no. Can't stand them. Never could even when I knew sod all about speakers but ears don't lie. Will use just about anything else.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They kinda had their day, introduced when modern Celestions were metal voiced and vintage Celestions had low power handling.
    Celestion tried to make a high power handling ceramic magnet tone clone of the 15w Blue, but totally failed.
    It turned out to be a great speaker for the time though, and still has its uses.
    I have a bunch of them from when they were the best and really only speaker of their kind.

More recently (10-12 years) there has been a speaker renaissance and there are better choices, so I never use the V30s any more.
    Still a good speaker. Something fizzy in distorted high notes that could be less fizzy with a different speaker.

Could be the model of the speaker combined with models of tube amps can have that inherent annoyance dialed out?
    OTOH the market has been so flooded with faux vintage tube dirt pedals that are inherently fizzy, that players coming up in the 21st C think in terms of fizz buzz and rasp as being the desired tube toanz.

It's also possible to change the speaker response in the amp, just a tendency more than an iron clad sound.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I've never been fond of Celestion speakers...just not what I prefer to hear. I largely go for Jensen-style vintage voice speakers, even in my Vox amps. (yeah, go figure) The only Celestions I'm currently using are in my four-8" cab with a Vox Pathfinder 15R, and one of the eights is a Jensen. The other three are Vox Bulldogs, mainly because that's what I had when I built the cabinet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.