Is BYO worth dealing with

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Leonardocoate, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

I would like to get some stuff from BYO but the reviews make me stop. Will I be disappointed with them? Has anybody had first hand experience

2. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Afflicted

I bought an ash Tele body from them a couple months ago, haven't done anything with it yet. I ordered it, they sent it. No drama. Was tempted to have them build me a neck but so far have been put off by the unknown amount of time it would take.

Leonardocoate likes this.
  3. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Holic

I’ve purchased from them before. A kit once and some parts kits a couple times. They’re slower than molasses in January and I couldn’t get a response to my email inquiries. This was few years ago. Maybe they’ve improved.

4. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

After having bought a set of their Tele pickups a few years ago that I really like a lot, I bought a loaded Strat pickguard from them last year. I’ve never had a pickguard fit a guitar worse and I have to keep the pups pretty low or else I get all sorts of bad sounds. Also, the volume knob is backwards - the numbers go in the wrong direction. I’ve tried repeatedly but cannot get them to respond.

5. pi

pi Tele-Meister

I was researching the same. Precision Guitar Kits seem to have a better reputation if you you're looking for set necks, but they are pricier. For bolt-ons, there's lots of great options: Warmoth, Musikraft, Allparts, BGP, etc. Again, all pricier than BYO.

From what I read about BYO, you will get a workable kit (with all the hardware and electronics), but these parts are not top notch, and necks need a lot of work. But they are cheap, so no surprise there--the cost savings has to give up something.

Sorry that I don't have actual experience with BYO to report. Although I've had experience with Warmoth and the old USACG, and they were all great.

6. peterg

peterg Tele-Meister

My first step towards building from scratch was assembling a BYO Nashville Strat kit. The body they provided to me is the actual one shown in their ad.
    https://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/BYO-Custom-Shop-Nashville-Strat-Kit__BYO-CS-NS-Kit.aspx
    I had the same issues that others have mentioned - their communication skills are abysmal.
    The body is fine, their own pickups are ok, mighty mite neck is good. I didn’t go for any upgrades so the tuners, pots and switch are junk.

7. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Thanks!....this gives me a few over places to try

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.