Is British Columbia as beautiful as it seems from afar?/Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:52 AM.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Many years ago, my wife and I visited a pastor friend and his wife in Vancouver, while he was taking a class being taught by Eugene Peterson at Regent College.

While there, we all took a ferry boat ride to Vancouver Island - a very worthwhile venture. Our boat ride was breathtaking and Victoria's Inner Harbour was beautiful, with lots to see and do. We then traveled about 15 miles north, to visit the beautiful Butchart Gardens, with its awesome views and spectacular floral displays!

Both were well worth the price of admission.

awasson and RoscoeElegante like this.
  2. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

St. Mary's Lake on Saltspring Island is the only place I know in B.C. with bass.

If you like wilderness, then anywhere outside of the Lower Mainland (Vancouver and suburbs) will give you wilderness in spades. Northern B.C. is very remote and beautiful but it is rugged country.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The climate is varied. As for rain, both 24 Track in Kamloops and I in Kelowna experience less precipitation than you do in Sacramento, according to Wikipedia.

awasson, RoscoeElegante and 24 track like this.
  4. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I've driven the ALCAN hwy 6 times.
    Once was up the Cassiar hwy when it was 200 miles of dirt road. It's already been said.... Just get there and go anywhere.and the people are super friendly .... Eh!

5. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

BC is indeed a beautiful province. I'm born and raised here. I live in Vancouver. A cool city to visit and to spring board to the nice getaways.

By all means come visit. It's worth it! Vancouver for some nightlife. The gulf islands are really relaxing and beautiful, yet convenient for tourists if you don't mind ferries. So many options, skip tofino unless you like cliches and crowds.

Pass on whistler unless you ski.

Victoria is a cool city, the capital, like "Vancouver light."

Consider Banff. It's just across the border to Alberta. If BC is beautiful, then Banff is stunning! Drive to jasper, it's 3 hours north from Banff and you will never forget it. Possibly the world's most scenic drive.

Come between May and September. Ideally July or August.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 8:59 AM
    awasson, tonyj and RoscoeElegante like this.
  6. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I think you have the idea by now: BC is spectacular. I am biased, but I think Vancouver Island is the prime destination. Vancouver is an awesome city, but it is a city. I only go there for city things. I live mid-island (Nanaimo), and I feel like I have the best of all worlds; there is so much within a day of here, that I can barely keep up. Tofino is beautiful, but it’s best seen from Ucluelet (less touristy). It can be busy on the Island in summer, but there are worse places. I work retail, and here I can afford a harbour view. This device doesn’t have my good pictures on it, but this is a picture from nearby Gabriola Island, looking back towards my apartment:

49459D7A-D3AA-4271-A8D8-097AF0E5DDE6.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

You guys are making all this up, right?

Thanks very much for the pix and info. I get through drudgework on dreams, and you've given me a lot of them. There's a chance, since my daughters are getting dual citizenship, that I could retire to Canada, and one of my two daughters wants to move to the US west coast. So this opens lots of possibilities in that way, too. Though I'm most likely to stay in the East and just hit the road a lot.

Offhand, anyone know how long a non-resident can gypsy around Canada legally, each year?

8. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Is it as flat as Saskatchewan? ;)

9. RoscoeElegante

That's another "Oh, Canada!" urge of mine: horizon-to-horizon fields of wheat. Or, better yet, rapeseed (canola oil plant) in bloom.

Champ_de_colza_Côte-d'Or_Bourgogne_avril_2014.jpg

Best: sunflowers.
    BAH5SABFQNF7FG6W3JHZRTLBRI.jpg

I think I need to take tomorrow off from grading papers. My brain is snorting Studebakers....

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

Nickadermis and RoscoeElegante like this.
  11. RoscoeElegante

Thanks! I wouldn't want to be sneaky, but if a night in Buffalo is all it takes to re-enter..... I'd be very glad to spend six months up there, and another six someplace sunny. Have appliance box, will travel!

awasson, black_doug and Nickadermis like this.
  12. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

The friendly folks and my border crossing when I Las worked in Winnipeg just had me run down to Fargo for an evening and come back the next day and all was forgiven for another 6 months of work in Winnipeg

13. BigDaddyLH

I forgive you for living in Winnipeg, too!

14. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

Tell us more about your van.

You've got me dreaming now too.

15. BigDaddyLH

Yes, any art of Norse gods on the outside?

16. Dan German

If you had ever spent a night in Buffalo, you might not think this was such a good trade!

Hey, now, I love Winnipeg! They just built it in the wrong place. So, so wrong...

BigDaddyLH and RoscoeElegante like this.
  17. RoscoeElegante

It's just a standard 2005 Honda Odyssey. When it's just me and the dog, I take the middle seats out and fold the back seats down. Sleeping bag and folded towels for my pillow. Hoodie for when it's cold. Leave the windows cracked and velcro-attached mesh window screens for the skeeters.

Actually, I just got it to replace the 2000 Toyota Sienna I had that I totaled two weeks after finally replacing its transmission. Brakes suddenly failed and boom. The Odyssey's rear seats go down nicely but I haven't yet tried to take the middle seats out. In the Sienna, and in a Grand Caravan and a Ford Windstar before that, there was plenty of room for me, the dog, and even a kayak once they were de-seated for the long haul. I just stop someplace safe when I'm tired, stretch out until I'm ready to drive again, and keep going. Have made about 10 1,000 mile or so round trips without using motels. The dog is big, loud, and very protective, but quiet until someone is prying, which very rarely happens.

It's easy to eat well, too. A cooler w/ fresh fruit & veggies, stop at grocery stores and use their salad bars and get a freshly cooked whole chicken or decent sandwiches instead of fast food, get new ice, wash up and keep goin. Stop at parks or lakes daily for exercise, and at least one place daily where the dog can safely be off the leash to run around.

The day will come when one or both of us get skunk-zapped (again) and then face trying to clean up and keep going. Won't be popular digging through the croutons at a salad bar with that reek steaming off me....

Bristlehound and black_doug like this.
  18. RoscoeElegante

That's my hometown, homey! Lots of great things and people there. But, yeah, a hard-knocks place these last decades of decline... Sad to see. I'm back every four or five years now, and each time, it's obvious that a place rehabbed here is offset by more decay there.

Dan German likes this.
  19. Dan German

Ha! I knew I’d rile somebody with that comment, I just didn’t think it would be the OP! I feel the same way about Winnipeg, although it isn’t in decline—it’s just plagued by mosquitoes and Mars-level winter climate! (Disclaimer: I’ve rarely been to Buffalo, it’s just one of those places you automatically poke fun at. Like Winnipeg.)

20. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

Nope. Nothing to see here.

This is not the province you're looking for.

Move along. Move along.

*Selfishly hugs BC trying to hide it from view.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.