Is British Columbia as beautiful as it seems from afar?/Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:52 AM.

1. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Sure, @BigDaddyLH ! :cool:

I'd say that all the Vancouver area is beautiful... Our accomodation was in Kitsilano, a very quiet neighborhood, and we did most of our trips by bus or boat and walking, only renting a car to go to Whistler.

Our daughter was our tour guide, along with her (international) student friends from time to time.

Grouse Mountain climb, Van Dusen Park and the autumn leaves colours, Vancouver Lookout Tower at sunset and night, encoutering whales in the Vancouver Islands, Stanley park and its creepy squirrels, the Lost Lake and others around Whistler, Downtown and Gastown Vancouver, Canada Place, Granville Island, English bay... And a lot of very cool places and people there ! :)

Think that the UBC campus is as large as one-third of the city centre of Lyon, France, which is the 2nd city of the country... :eek:

-tbln

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Whenever I take visitors to Vancouver, I make sure we take a water taxi to somewhere, like Granville Island.

[​IMG]

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Vancouver is like any big city. There's touristy bits, and scenic bits. Dirty bits, bits to avoid at night. We watched the AFL (Aussie football) Grand Final in a packed bar and walked home to our hotel in the rainbow quarter 10.30 at night - lots of people about on a warm autumn evening, no bad vibe anywhere despite the smell of pot and beggars. That's a shock to us from Oz where more than two plants gets you porridge.
    IMG_20190928_132049.jpg

We did some walking tours we found off Google - one for Art Deco and one for Vancouver after dark. Who knew Vancouver was like Chicago with bent cops, villains with illegal empires and untouchables?

120 year old hotel - you can still stay there for about $150 a night.

Attached Files:

24 track and RoscoeElegante like this.
  4. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I don't know what it's like now but Gastown is where I heard jazz being played live for the first time at a coffee house in '79. I was 22. Hooked on it ever since.

awasson and RoscoeElegante like this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

These days, when I think of Gastown I think of KPop :oops:

[​IMG]

RoscoeElegante and black_doug like this.
  6. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Good grief--these pictures don't seem real. Like someone dipped New Zealand in Norway, or something. I mean, I KNOW that Ontario is absurdly beautiful, but this is amazing stuff!

black_doug likes this.
  7. RoscoeElegante

THIS picture I won't comment on, because I'm too old to do so legally, I think. But....

8. RoscoeElegante

"[G]ets you porridge"--what a great phrase!

24 track likes this.
  9. Dacious

Mate - the Canadian Cuz's told us - don't start taking pics of rocks and trees..... You'll come home with thousands and no idea where they were.

It's hard to take a bad picture out of the cities. I got pics of seaplanes taking off and landing in four places. You sit in Via Rail for days just watching vistas roll by. Helicopter over Niagara Falls and the BC ranges were highlights.

Then there's the buildings. The Maritime Building in Vancouver - their answer to the Empire State IMG_20190928_124135.jpg

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

All you have to say is "Likey". The video was entirely filmed in Vancouver. Okay, I am a bit obsessed with this video. :oops:

11. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

If you are driving, you can drive up the Olympic peninsula and take a car ferry to Victoria BC. Definitely more scenic than taking the interstate up through Seattle to Vancouver. Victoria is a cool, smallish city but with lots of quirky things to see.

12. Dacious

It certainly is IMG_20191023_092653.jpg

RoscoeElegante, Nickfl and 24 track like this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Basically, you ain't seen nothin' until you get west of the divide. Just got back from the Naramata wine country near Penticton, BC. Everything around there is beautiful from Nelson all the way to the west coast. Enjoy.

awasson, RoscoeElegante and 24 track like this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

Of course, you already may be in BC ;)

15. Dacious

Butchard Gardens on Vancouver Island. One day 120 years ago wifey says to hubby 'mind if I put some plants in that nasty old quarry you dug?'

IMG_20190923_144339.jpg

IMG_20190923_151816.jpg

RoscoeElegante and BigDaddyLH like this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

Nelson would qualify as a quirky town. All those 1960s draft dodgers left their mark.

Obsessed and RoscoeElegante like this.
  17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, it is that beautiful and it's a really nice place to visit. It's overcast most of the time though if you're a sun lover. It is pretty far up north latitude-wise. Rain makes for pretty green hills. I'm a sun lover and I couldn't do that for long.

18. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Places like Barkerville , Ft Steele , Kelowna although I hate to admit it is as nice as possible .

19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

All of BC has its beauty , what fascinates me is watching the Ecology change from the rain forests of the coast to the semi arid desert environment of the lower interior to thick pine forests just north of us to the foot hills of the rockies just before Alberta , you cant describe this to any one they would not understand , you have to expirience it for yourself , then the "Holy Crap" aspect of it all sinks in. the pictures are just a minute speck of it all from tiny towns to big cities . tofino is spectacular , long beach is sureal, the interior is gorgeous,
    pacific coast is insanely beautiful, northern BC is breathtaking , the Rockies foothills, every place has its history annd its all too cool for words.

Obsessed and RoscoeElegante like this.
  20. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

right in the middle of Vancouver is the reminent of an extinct volcano called Little mountain they built a beautiful park around it called Queen elizabeth park here is some shots of the crater that was built into a garden , As a kid I would play here almost every day

this is the conservatory on top of the crater ( with fountains)

dome-of-the-conservatory-at-qe-park-522271889-5c40b0c4c9e77c0001be1a2f.jpg

the view from the crater looking up to the conservatory

QE conservatory crater.jpg

the view from the conservatory over looking the crater

QE crater2.jpg

QE crater.jpg

a beautiful park for sure

awasson and RoscoeElegante like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.