Is British Columbia as beautiful as it seems from afar?/Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:52 AM.

1. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Tofino is pretty touristy. Lovely drive through the forest to get across the island though. Also stopped to visit a friends parents on the east coast of the island north of Nanaimo and went down to the beach and there was a pod of orcas maybe 100 feet from the shore. I’m told that is not a daily occurrence.

sounds like a great trip.

Cheers,
    Geoff

2. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

One of my mates back home in the UK bought a beat up old 70's (what we call a yank tank) for a few hundred dollars and toured a big chunk of the US and Canada over several months. Vancouver ended up being their favourite place on their trip.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  3. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Sounds great! As long as she can wait a few months/years for me. Please tell her, "I'll marry your hair" for me in the meantime....

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Whoa, are you traveling solo? That changes everything!

5. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Hiya Roscoe.

BC is beautiful yes, but you can have it.

Grew up in Hawaii and So Cal, then lived in Vancouver for a couple years and hated it. Was grey and rainy for 8 months in a row. (Sorry, Oats can't come to the phone right now, he's depressed and getting ready to hang himself from the Lion's Gate Bridge). Gotta have sunshine. So then, on the rare occasion that the sun came out for more than 3 minutes, every A-hole with a car was out trying to go somewhere and may as well have been back south, gridlocked in L.A.

Fast forward, I'm far happier in the Maritimes. Snow? Yup. Ice? Uh huh. Hurricanes? Sure, why not, may as well keep things interesting. But hey, then the next day the sun is back and you get to remember that your not just a troll living under a bridge. Yay!

But as far as going to visit, you'll have a great time. If you do eventually make it out east to Nova Scotia, PM me and we can take a flight at the local micro brewery.

PS, got family in Chase City VA, beautiful area.

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

My wife grew up on Vancouver Island. She would much rather live here in sunny SoCal, but she loves going up there when the sun is shining
    in the warm, sunny months. I also met a retired guy up in Sidney, BC who lives in BC during the sunny months and then spends the rest of the year
    at his other house in Australia. Basically living an endless summer by switching hemispheres.

upload_2019-11-7_12-10-36.png

7. RoscoeElegante

Me, a guitar, and the dog!

One or more of my kids might be with me for some legs of it. But the teenage sons gotta have their summer jobs, and the daughters are busy at their real jobs and paying the bills.

So...bear spray/pictures of my clothes in the '70s on the hikes to ward off the grizzlies and rabid hermits?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 3:29 PM
    awasson likes this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

I grew up in vancouver and although a very pretty city I moved out when i was 15 traveled across canada from Coast to coast , then moved to the yukon for 2 years , I love B.C. but you are partially correct about Vancouver , it is a cesspool and quite dirty in the down town core, places like Kits beach are very pretty, I lived in Lynn Canyon and out in White Rock ( next to the US border) it was much sunnier there than in North Vancouver in the canyon , but none of that deters from the gorgious setting here

9. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

My wife and I came from France to visit our daughter studying for a year in UBC, Vancouver. it was the 1st time we crossed the Atlantic to go to America.

We stayed for 15 days in late Oct./ early Nov. 2016. We had a perfect weather, sunny with all the colours of the Autumn leaves... It was also Haloween there.

We really enjoyed our too short stay, taking zillions of pics, going everywhere we could...

-tbln

awasson, 24 track and RoscoeElegante like this.
  10. RoscoeElegante

I hear ya on the sun need! Grew up in Buffalo, and loved it, and upstate NY generally, and Ontario, where I would spend months and weeks at a time. But doubt I could live with the winter grayness of the lee side of the Great Lakes again, year 'round. Then again, once I retire, I'll be able to hit the road sun-ward, as I travel cheap. (A seats-out minivan is your own motel on wheels.) My sons are binge-watching "Breaking Bad," and I find myself enjoying even the bleaker scenes for the nearly relentless sunniness of the Southwest settings. Work for the state, nap when possible, retire ASAP, and enjoy winter because if you can squeeze your dimes you can chase summer, is my motto.

Then again, I now want a '72 Telecaster Custom Deluxe with a fat neck. So being foolish is how I don't plan for the future best.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Nice vacation from a cold and rainy day, and piles of work, in Virginia.

11. BigDaddyLH

I really like the Maritimes. (That's basically the east coast to you non-Canadians.) My family did our summer hols this year in Newfoundland and loved it. But to live through all four seasons? Oy! Yes, the city of Vancouver is rainy, but, as you know, BC is a big province (bigger than Texas, yeehaw!) and the climate varies. Over on the big island, there's Victoria:

Due to the rain shadow effect of the nearby Olympic Mountains, Victoria is the driest location on the British Columbia coast and one of the driest in the region. Average precipitation amounts in the Greater Victoria area range from 608 mm (23.9 in) at the Gonzales observatory in the City of Victoria to 1,124 mm (44.3 in) in nearby Langford.[28] The Victoria Airport, 25 km (16 mi) north of the city, receives about 45% more precipitation than the city proper. Regional average precipitation amounts range from as low as 406 mm (16.0 in) on the north shore of the Olympic Peninsula[29] to 3,505 mm (138.0 in) in Port Renfrew just 80 km (50 mi) away on the more exposed southwest coast of Vancouver Island. Vancouver measures 1,589 mm (63 in) annually and Seattle is at 952 mm (37.5 in).

One feature of Victoria's climate is its distinct dry and rainy seasons. Nearly two-thirds of the annual precipitation falls during the four wettest months, November to February. Precipitation in December, the wettest month (109 mm or 4.3 in) is nearly eight times as high as in July, the driest month (14 mm or 0.6 in). Victoria experiences the driest summers in Canada (outside of the extreme northern reaches of the Northwest Territories and Nunavut).[30]

Victoria averages just 26 cm (10.2 in) of snow annually, about half that of Vancouver. Roughly one third of winters see virtually no snow, with less than 5 cm (2.0 in) falling during the entire season. When snow does fall, it rarely lasts long on the ground. Victoria averages just two or three days per year with at least 5 cm (2.0 in) of snow on the ground. Every few decades Victoria receives very large snowfalls including the record breaking 100 cm (39.4 in) of snow that fell in December 1996. That amount places Victoria 3rd for biggest snowfall among major cities in Canada.

With 2,193 hours of bright sunshine annually during the last available measurement period, Victoria was the second sunniest city in British Columbia [BDLH: I checked and that is more sunshine than Halifax NS sees, heh, heh.]after Cranbrook. In July 2013, Victoria received 432.8 hours of bright sunshine, which is the most sunshine ever recorded in any month in British Columbia history.[31]

Victoria's equable climate has also added to its reputation as the "City of Gardens". The city takes pride in the many flowers that bloom during the winter and early spring, including crocuses, daffodils, early-blooming rhododendrons, cherry and plum trees. Every February there is an annual "flower count" in what for the rest of the country and most of the province is still the dead of winter.

Due to its mild climate, Victoria and its surrounding area (southeastern Vancouver Island, Gulf Islands, and parts of the Lower Mainland and Sunshine Coast) are also home to many rare, native plants found nowhere else in Canada, including Quercus garryana (Garry oak), Arctostaphylos columbiana (hairy manzanita), and Canada's only broad-leaf evergreen tree, Arbutus menziesii (Pacific madrone). Many of these species exist here, at the northern end of their range, and are found as far south as southern California and parts of Mexico.

Here in the Okanagan, we are known for our sunshine. Some summers it barely rains at all.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 4:00 PM
  12. BigDaddyLH

???

I wasn't going to mention the city of Vancouver since Roscoe said he wasn't interested in cities, but that's mighty harsh. My view of Vancouver is that of a tourist, since I live 300 km away and visit a couple times a year. Yes, Vancouver's lower east side neighborhood is skid row, but the rest? I look forward to my visits and I've never thought of Vancouver, even for a moment, as a cesspool. The reason I visit it is because it is so beautiful.

13. BigDaddyLH

The UBC campus is really beautiful. [Mandatory joke about Wreck Beach goes here.]

[​IMG]

awasson and RoscoeElegante like this.
  14. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. From Banff to Vancouver including Vancouver Island and Victoria.

15. Dacious

There's no filter on this picture. The water is this colour because of 'rock flour' ground out of the mountains by glaciers.

IMG_20190922_102552.jpg

16. BigDaddyLH

Emerald lake? Here in Kelowna we have Kalamalka lake.

[​IMG]

Okay, I chose that one for Roscoe.

17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

Granville Street and the downtown core was always a fun place to be on theatre row , but in the 25 years i have been uphere it now smells like urine and is quite dirty as all along Hastings street , towards Main street right in the core . How ever Vancouver is one of the prettiest cities in Canada with the north shore as a back drop I lived there all of my youth so I was able to watch the start of the change and I was surprised on my last visit ( for the federal government on a course) how it had evolved the criminal element was out in full force,
    that i dont miss But Vancouver will always hold some fond memeories for me, I still like English bay and Stanley Park

images.jpg Vancouver_Then.jpg view-of-vancouver-from.jpg Vancouver-skyline-and-mountains-578914.jpg

black_doug likes this.
  18. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

You mentioned your love of lakes and waterways. I've been on that ferry and you certainly need to experience it for yourself. I loved it.

And Tofino, Uclulet (where I went surfing), Victoria, and Campbell River on Vancouver Island

I can't believe it's 40 years ago already. Have to go back soon, especially since I've got a friend living in Surrey.

24 track likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

Granville Street smells like urine? Whew! I thought it was me :oops:

awasson, Dan German and 24 track like this.
  20. Dacious

Here's a famous little ditty from the Arrogant Worms.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.