Is British Columbia as beautiful as it seems from afar?/Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:52 AM.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I ask this 'cause I'm getting closer to that summer when amassed vacation time + a really good absurdly old van = my long-planned, long trip from the U.S. East Coast to Northern California, up to B.C., and then eastward to the Canadian Maritimes, and then down the U.S. East Coast back home.

Distracting myself from wobbly frosh papers, I was Google Earthing around B.C. The farthest west in Canada I've been is to Lake Superior's northeastern shore. But shazam, does B.C. look far more beautiful than I had even assumed. So many coastal islands of so many types and sizes, and so many lakes, which I had associated, stupidly, with Manitoba/Ontario/Quebec more than the far West.

So I'm revising my plans and soliciting advice. Once I get into B.C., whaddaya suggest? Not all that interested in Vancouver, as I prefer wilderness, natural vistas, shorelines, lakes, rivers, small towns, quirky places.

Thanks!

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Tofino on Vancouver Island:

[​IMG]

Tofino itself is at the end of the peninsula in the centre of the picture.

A must do from there is to take a water taxi north to Hot Springs Cove. The natural hot springs spill down a rocky stream to the ocean, pooling at places along the way.

[​IMG]

3. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic

Great mountain/trails for cycling. There's places where you can rent bikes. For experienced riders.

RoscoeElegante and Slap Axe like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I lived in Prince George and Quesnel BC, for about ten years.
    BC is the most beautiful place I’ve ever been.
    I muss it.
    The license plates say it all, BEAUTIFUL BRITISH COLUMBIA.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 1:15 PM
  5. meric

meric Tele-Holic

Yes.....B.C. really is that beautiful.
    I have lived in this province for thirty years and I am still inspired by the trees, ocean, mountains and the beaches. The city of Vancouver is nice but too crowded for my taste. The rest of the province is almost uninhabited.True wilderness. If I headed east from my backyard i would not see any form of civilization for fifty or sixty miles and that would only be a road and likely empty. If you like wilderness flora and fauna this is a paradise.

6. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

B.C. is pretty, but it has plenty of clear cuts as well. Summer does not set in for good until sometime in June.

If you have not seen NM, AZ, UT, MT, ID, WY, WA, OR and CA there is a lot to see in the US much closer to home than B.C. that does not require a passport and fun at the border crossing.

RoscoeElegante and Slap Axe like this.
  7. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

1 - Yes
    2 - Allow plenty of time.

cheers, RM

awasson and RoscoeElegante like this.
  8. RoscoeElegante

............................Wow.

Just, wow..............................................

9. Guitarzan

I've been to Tofino and a number of parts of Vancouver Island. There is a lot of beauty, but there are crowds and clearcuts as well.

If you should drive the backroads of VI be very careful, the log trucks have the right of way, the signage is poor, and you cannot always tell that you are coming to an intersection due to weeds, bushes, lack of signage, and lack of familiarity with the area. I came close to having a bad collision with a log truck back in about 2001 at an intersection of roads I did not know existed for the reasons above, both roads kinda curved and converged in a funky Y. I had been warned about the trucks and right of way situation, but not about the lack of signage and ability to know there was an intersection ahead.

jvin248 and RoscoeElegante like this.
  10. RoscoeElegante

The farthest west I've been is the Four Corners. I'm very much a freshwater/Great Lakes/Adirondacks/Virginia person, but it was dazzling to see even the deserty parts of the West, small portion of it that I did see (in western & southwestern Colorado). I foresee a retirement of a lot of trips westward and northward. I love heading for the horizon, and letting curiosity divert me along the way. So this first coast-to-coast x 2 one will much a scouting mission for later, more-specific trips.

Any cozy hamlets or eerily unmodernized places you know of? My greatest delight when traveling is to find forgotten places and listen to the ghosts at dusk.

Thanks!

11. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

I grew up in BC and it really is that beautiful. I went back last summer for the first time in 6 years and was awestruck. I would live there in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

12. BigDaddyLH

Someone's jelly!

13. Guitarzan

People like different things, but if I were in your shoes, and I once was, I would make a steady drive to northern CA to see the redwoods for about 4 days, then the coast, then go see the Sequoias and Yosemite, and then cross the Sierra Nevadas eastward and pick things to see on a leisurely easterly return route.

Nor Cal and the nat'l parks there and the Cal coast are stunning in and of themselves, particularly for someone that have never seen them.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  14. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

B C
    Well
    You know
    It's not bad :p

But none of those suckers know what a speed limit is and they seem to change every 10 klicks or so
    Take care
    check out the sunshine coast it's interesting

15. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Yes it is. :)

awasson likes this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

How are your legs holding out? The Pacific Rim West Coast Trail is a bucket list item.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/pacificrim/activ/activ6a

[​IMG]

Dan German and RoscoeElegante like this.
  17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Looks wonderful. I was in Montana 18 months ago. The air was smokey due to were horrendous wildfires there and BC.

18. swingtime

swingtime Tele-Meister

A lot of tourists in the summer ... beware. Stay away from the advertised highlights....

19. BigDaddyLH

There are tens of thousands of wildfires every year, but last summer wasn't bad. The previous two summers were, however. I remember being on a beach (near Tofino!) and as the blood red sun sank toward the western horizon it *disappeared* into the smoke before it could set. No sunset.

Bad wildfire seasons could be the new normal, but this is approaching TWCTA (things we can't talk about).

20. RoscoeElegante

Have rainfall patterns changed much in B.C. over the last few years?

In Virginny, over the past 10 years or so especially, we've had very rainy springs, very hot summers, dry late summers, and then oddly abrupt cold snaps. That's not unusual, but within these patterns, things seem extrme. Rain/cloud patterns seem bunched toward the intenser ends of the spectrum, with weeks of strong rains followed by a month of near rainlessness. Cold spells in winter, relatively little snow, then oddly warm weeks, with most snow coming in mid-February or later.

It's very different from the more-regular cycles of rain, clearing, rain, building cold, snow, clearing, etc., that I grew up with (I'm 58).

Old people and weather-talk, eh?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.