Is Brian Jones the first to get (Real) interest in World Music

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MojoTrwall, Jun 18, 2019.

1. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

Hello Guys,

I was wondering after reading Brian Jones biography, and discovering this record of him.

Which is a record he did in the northern part of Morocco in 1968, which is traditional North African music (not arabic) music.

Funny thing, is here in France northern African music grew in popularity later (mid 70's-80's) due to important diaspora.

And it was not so much known outside people coming from these part of the World.

Along with the Sitar, which he played on Paint it black, it shows interest in traditional music and willingness to export it (or doing some artistic work on it).

Which is the main difference with the Beatles who mainly had the Indian influence.

Sadness he passed away so young, he's future might have been closer to World music than rock ?

Along with the Beatles and Clapton (Reggae influences) is he the first to get Real interest in World Music ?

Nowadays it's easy to fill World music influence, especially in EDM, back in 1968, that's a whole different experience.

catdaddy, Shango66 and nojazzhere like this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, but that was unlistenable. And I really tried. It was painful to my ears.

Larmo63 likes this.
  3. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

It is because it's not supposed to sound like this.

The record is honestly on Métal Music Machine level in terms of piece of trash.

The work quality is not my point really.

It's more about the approach which I'm talking.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I think the Beatles had already introduced world music. Not by just playing it, but kinda interrupting it and joining it with a more comfortably 'known' western music. Baby steps- to the pop-listerning world in general.

5. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Just cause you don't hear it doesn't mean it's trash. Hell, these musicians are playing inside their tradition, for a certain sound that you don't hear well. (Look into early performances of The Rite of Spring for examples of how your mind rejects tones/sounds/patterns that it isn't used to). Also this is not an album by Jones but a field recording produced by him and released on ATCO. I love this stuff and dig world music. As for if Jones was the first guy to do this... well where did you think the blues came from?

catdaddy, Muddslide and BorderRadio like this.
  6. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

True story is it's been 10 years since I've Heard a full Beatles album.

I tryed in my first years in High School, and I wasn't conviced, that's on my to do list before my 25 to do a better listening of the Beatles.

7. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

Actually my descent are from this culture (not morocco thought) so I'm really well used to these sound.

Concerning blues, there's a difference between blues creation and Jones approach there's a difference, it's the conscious.

When blues or rumba was created for instance, there wasn't the idea of taking music and cultural influences from oversea.

It was more ancestors musical remaining coming into actual influences.

IMHO that's where the difference is.

(Don't know if I'm totally clear).

8. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Certainly an interesting question, but I think Afro-Cuban Jazz has BJ beat by about 25 years.

Also, from Wikipedia:

Contradanza (also called contradanza criolla, danza, danza criolla, or habanera) is the Spanish and Spanish-American version of the contradanse, which was an internationally popular style of music and dance in the 18th century, derived from the English country dance and adopted at the court of France. Contradanza was brought to America and there took on folkloric forms that still exist in Mexico, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Panama and Ecuador.

Jelly Roll Morton experimented with what he called the “Spanish tinge”.

Buddy Bolden, the first known jazz musician, used a syncopated rhythm which used the habanera.

boris bubbanov, Teddyjack and Deeve like this.
  9. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

George Bizet Carmen is made on an Habanera, Real name of the famous part is Habanera, Can be Seen as World music influence yes, did not think of that.

10. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

If you really think about it, Blues is world music to British people.

Edit: cnlbb beat me to it!

11. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Start with Revolver, then. There's your world music. Move on to Rubber Soul.

Dan R likes this.
  12. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

As a side note, if any of you haven't been to Paris... do yourself a solid and go. It's amazing. I'm going back next May.

13. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

Skiffle might be the first World music to british people (some might Say Haendel).

What I meant by World Music is Closer to this : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_music

We could consider Dick Dale's Misirlou as World music due to it's construction and origins.

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

anachronistic definitions are anachronistic.

Torren61 likes this.
  15. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

I'll try I can't stay on the same position for 10 years without a fresh listening of the whole thing.

16. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

You could have mentioned that earlier...

17. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

What do you mean ?

18. getbent

the first is world music, the second is bobby D introduces weed!

Paul in Colorado, Torren61 and drf64 like this.
  19. getbent

you define 'world music' in a way and kind of refine and shuffle that defnition to fit (seemingly) what you want it to fit. Your thread title has a question to it, but, it isn't really a question, except it kind of is... Jones' use of sitar in Paint it Black was anything BUT traditional, but you call it traditional...

nothing wrong with anachronism, but it means that the defiiniton ball moves at your whim and desire, thus you control the meaning of the thread... well, except that that isn't possible... hence, anachronism... fun conversation (to a point) but pointless too.

20. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

Don't forget english is not my prime language, it's juste harder to give my point in a clear way sometimes.

I guess question which are not question are a Very french way to start a conversation on a point.

I don't really define World music, that's just a word to put on overseas music and non-occidental music origin closer to folk music from overseas.

I'm sure even for the minor part of playing in paint it black it helped discovering part of traditional music, I would probably not have known sitar without them, nor ravi shankar.

And I don't really see who had this approach before.

Marquee Moon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.