Is anyone here using LibreOffice? Like it, don't like it, hate it, or maybe love it.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

I use it all the time. The default file extensions can be set in the configuration and you should do that first thing. Lots of angry emails because somebody wasn't able to open my attachment....

It has more than enough features for my needs.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I hate the whole ethos behind Office 365 and the Creative Cloud; it's nothing but greed IMO. MS and Adobe aren't satisfied with soaking you once every three or four years anymore for their minor upgrades, they want to do it monthly now. You're basically paying rent on something that's already installed on your computer.
    On the subject of browsers though:
    Browser meme.jpg
    ;)

3. WallyArms

WallyArms Tele-Afflicted

They fixed that (at least it is an option to not have multiple windows now).

4. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I haven't read all the above posts, so forgive me if I repeat someone else's comments.

I have been using Libre Office - and before that Open Office - since 2000 when I moved to Holland. I had extensive experience with MS Word, Excel, and Access in my work before leaving the USA.

I found that Open Office and now Libre Office offer everything that I needed with the MS products. I have NOT used their database, so I can't comment on that. I rarely use the word-processor these days. But I use the spreadsheet extensively, and it works just like Excel. There may be some minor differences, but I have forgotten them by now and there is no feature that I miss.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The whole "cloud" thing is one big gigantic sell. "Cloud" conjures up images of your files being stored up there in heaven somewhere. When actually they're just on SOMEONE ELSE'S giant computer. Only thing is, you really have no idea who SOMEONE ELSE is, who has access to them, or where the hell they're at.

6. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I've used Open Office for several years with no problems. I've not used Libre Office...I'll have to check it out.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Google Docs? Anybody tried it?

8. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have used Libreoffice for work for many years. Basically just use it for the writer and spreadsheets. I think it's pretty smooth. Only problem I had was a few years ago when it sometimes wouldn't do page numbers right, but that is fixed.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

I use Libre as well. The only time I use spreadsheets is for expense reports and I had issues with corporate not being to open my saved xlsx documents in MS Office. I use Google Docs to edit them now w/o any issues. As stated, unless you need full blown Office features, Libre is just fine. As mentioned earlier, Hydrogen is a very cool Drum program. It's has it warts, but makes great drum tracks and you can export them as audio or MIDI files.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Cloud is not new. Public cloud and so much rental space are newer.

Don't judge out of context. Traditional desktop apps are great for some. Cloud is not useful for some but don't forget we're clouding right here. Add that some critics might not know the full feature set the major players have in their productcs

Cloud computing is supremely useful for collaboration and work that spans sites, work shifts and time zones. Same for support and training.

Age is probably a factor in adoption and habits. My 3 teens don't do conventional desktop computing. They work across devices. They use shared lists and documents with me.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Maybe I'll look into it soon. For now, I've got my incredibly old copy of Photoshop CS2. It's what I know, and does what I need it to. It's great for doing crap like this:

gnarbar.jpg

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I used to use Open Office before I went to Libre Office. They stopped all support for Open Office and recommended switching to Libre Office since it was based on Open Office anyway.

As far as using the spreadsheet advanced features I have not found anything missing that Excel has, although some features are handled a little differently. I used to program spreadsheets with macros and formula functions and I believe that Libre Office has this capability.

The most powerful feature of Excel is probably not available in Libre Office, but it hasn't been accessible in Excel since the early 2000s as far as I know. I believe it was disabled because of the fear that it could be used to cause things to run on another person's computer without their knowledge. It was the ability to run other programs from Excel without having to even have the Excel application running, by simply running a macro call to the Excel feature within the target computer. If the target computer had Excel installed then the computer running the macro call could open and run any application on the target computer including Trojan programs.

Sandhill69 and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I refuse to be held captive by the likes of M$ or Apple. If was starting up another business the on thing that would be evident is the lack of anything M$. I know how to set things up so that LINUX will look like Windoze and most of the users in a practical sense wouldn't have any issues using it. Screw M$. Next thing they will come up with is charging you by the keystroke and they will have the IT dept afraid not to adopt it. I have been there.

Mr. Lumbergh, Toto'sDad and unixfish like this.
  14. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

I use it. It is a fine replacement to MSO. I have one program that integrated with MSO at work, so I use MSO there.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

People are kind of about the money, not fully considering what free is, and probably not considering simple math.

There have been moderately priced office suites and free ones for a long time. Some are long gone but since the 1980s I have always been able to have a legal license for an office suite without spending much or anything.

It says something that many commercial products and some open source efforts are gone. I wonder how many LibreOffice users visit and act on the donate link?

For years I was in a cycle where I had to buy the Office Professional every few years and I calculated that current Office 365 premium and enterprise tiers give me more for less money. Office 365 is a bargain when I look at what mail hosting and other products used to cost on top of buying the office suite.

I still use Linux, UNIX, and open source software but for me it's only great in the enterprise because I value hardware and products the consumer distributions often don't support or support well.

Many here will could find with a Linux distro and free office suite but the only places I could ever get to be truly successful an a business of any size has not been desktop computing. Firefox is probably an exception and go look at how much money that effort requires to live.

How much my phone is part of running IT, and at times my wrist watch says we probably have to be lucky Microsoft and Apple still develop for desktops the way they do. The personal computer is not dead but no way what it's been for so long.

SolidSteak and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I used Open Office for years but switched to LibreOffice last year & like it much better.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

I've used it for several years to print off song lyrics. Easy and intuitive to use. I like it.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Interesting!

19. Toto'sDad

I'll admit I haven't used anything that has to do with the cloud. Probably like anything, if I used even a little I wouldn't be so wary of it. Maybe I'll experiment a little bit and see how it goes. The worst that could happen is that... Wait, who's that at the door, why are you dressed like that, what is that thing you have in your hand...............:eek::eek::D:D

20. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

2936.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.