1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

IS ANYONE ELSE PRETURBED BY THE EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by scottser, Apr 20, 2021.

1. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

WARNING - SOCCER CONTENT

i'm going through a bit of a crisis right now.
    my lifelong team, manchester united are ringleading the proposed ESL (or €$£ as it's being known) breakaway league along with 11 other clubs in a transparent money-grab at the expense of their existing fans. the league is guaranteeing its 12 founders a yearly income without possibility of relegation.

now, i'm not local to the area - i live in another country but i manage to get over for a couple of games per year and i have family and friends who i visit when i'm over. and while my club has made no secret of putting the interests of its shareholders over the that of the fans over the past number of years, this move is the last straw for me as the club might not be allowed to compete in any other sanctioned tournament or its players might not be allowed to compete in international competitions such as the world cup.

i was always reared to support your club through thick and thin but it's time to walk away from it now. i didn't realise i might be affected this much by 22 lads kicking a ball around a park, but yeah, it's a combination of loss, disgust and fear.

Alamo, String Tree, bsman and 3 others like this.
  2. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I am deeply preturbed by the super league.;)

kplamann and scottser like this.
  3. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

Relegation is a key part of the game. This is bad for football, and will really hurt smaller clubs.

slauson slim, kplamann and scottser like this.
  4. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I'm long past that... I'm postturbed. :p

Fuelish, maxvintage, getbent and 5 others like this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

sports does not affect me other than when the packers win, it puts me in a good mood.
    (when they lose, i am indifferent)

oh, and i'm careful to avoid downtown when the badgers have a home game
    or I mean, you know, I was, back in the day

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Spurs! But yeah, I have to agree it’s a money move. Will be curious to see what happens with the 3 German clubs being asked to join. I think that would settle a lot of doubts.
    I don’t love the idea of no relegation but from the other perspective being relegated is a financial and fan burden. So I get why an owner would want to be protected. I don’t see any benefits aside from financial consolidation and it will hurt some other leagues.

scottser likes this.
  7. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

No not really, football became about eleven millionaires looking after themselves and not a team years ago. It's all about money and nothing will stop them.

8. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

This would likely count as blasphemy in many countries around the world, but I don't pay attention at all to soccer, cricket, foot ball, rugby, hockey, boxing or baseball. The only two sports that capture my attention, and that is fleeting at best, are cycling (road, mostly) and downhill skiing.

scottser likes this.
  9. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Foreign billionaires trying to reinvent the wheel.

It's simple, these clubs play under the National / UEFA / FIFA umbrellas. These governing bodies simply have to say, you want to do your own thing, OK, but not while you are playing in our leagues. Go forth and multiply.

The Germans won't join, the majority of shares in their clubs are owned by the fans not the money men.

10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve rarely seen such a half baked destructive and divisive proposal so it looks like they were either rushed into it before maturity due to impending leak or something, or they are incompetent.

I support two clubs, one my real born home in a lower league and one of these breakaway teams because I just like good football.

But this ESL thing is really a very ugly thing and I’d never subscribe to watch it.

11. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

I am disgusted.

The club I root for, Bayern Munich, has been asked to join. I hope they don't.

[edit]

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, the head of the board of the club, has apparently made a statement that they don't intend to join the Super League.

[second edit]

Confirmed here.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    SbS, Alamo, Omiewise65 and 5 others like this.
  12. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Perturbed? I don't even know what the he11 it is

scottser likes this.
  13. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I think you are seriously overlooking the talent that these handful of teams control. The revenues for all these national leagues are generated by television rights because people want to see Messi and Ronaldo - not Leeds or Wigan. Do you think the EPL would survive culling the teams that most of planet supports? Nope. The problem is that these teams actually have a lot more power than you are willing to accept. Also, I think the Super League is a horrible idea for football, but I have no idea how anyone can stop them.

14. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Somehow I don't think Man U and Real Madrid are the least bit worried about being relegated.

15. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

It isn't just "22 lads kicking a ball", it's the time spent with friends, the talks, everything.

Why not take a wait and see attitude, it's an obvious money grab, but change is inevitable in this life.

16. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

It’s only soccer, hardly anyone in the USA cares much even about our own soccer leagues. Just a minor fringe sport here. Any sport that has games that go for 90 plus minutes and can end in a 0-0 tie isn’t exactly exciting.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Aye, but you picked a fine day to be perturbed about it all.

Dublin 2, Co. Dublin
    Tuesday 7 AM • Mostly Cloudy
    [​IMG]
    54°
    F/ C
    Humidity: 68%
    Wind: 6 MPH NE

Fuelish likes this.
  18. straightlbues

straightlbues TDPRI Member

I am a US football (soccer here) fan. Yes, there are a few of us. The thing I don't understand about this is that all of these teams have a shot at playing UEFA Champions League each year. With UEFA Champions League they already have a league. So if it is a competition thing, they can all test their clubs against the best clubs in the world each year already. So it is about the money.

So what exactly is the gripe? Are they having to split monies with the domestic leagues?

Tele-friend likes this.
  19. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Holic

I am a Spurs supporter and really do not like the idea. I get wanting to see the best play the best, but in the current format teams have to earn that. You need to finish top of the league each season to earn the chance at the Champions league, which is the biggest club prize you can win. Teams like West Ham this season are fun as they have been on a tear and right now sit 4th earning a spot in the Champions League next season. That means a good amount of money for the club keeping competition higher the next season. I like the relegation aspect as it is a unique feature of the leagues. I could never see MLB sending down three teams each season to the minors and bringing up three others. Good bye Phillies hello Charlotte Knights?? Haha. It is a bit cutthroat, but it leads to some great stories, big chances for clubs/players and fun games.

I am curious how it all works out with FIFA. I saw an article that players for these teams would be banned from representing their countries at the Euros and World Cup. These teams are all made up of international players so that would really hurt those competitions. As a player I could see being the captain of England, Italy, Portugal or wherever and being fine with not being able to play in those international competitions. I bet the players really have no say, so the clubs would be screwing them over in that regard.

It will be interesting how it all plays out, but it is not a good look right now.

20. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Fun fact: Man U have 685 English Premier League wins and 178 losses. Nearly 4 wins for every loss. They score an average 1.91 goals per game versus 0.90 goals against. Isn't this more perturbing than the thought of a new league that might involve genuine competition?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.