1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is anyone else convinced...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by tomnardozza, Apr 11, 2021.

1. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

I listen to Robert Johnson, Blind Willie McTell, Lightnin' Hopkins, etc., just like I listen to old recordings of first-wave ska. That is great music and I don't think people who don't get it really "get" music at all.

2. JoshW77

JoshW77 TDPRI Member

For some time I had my stereo consisting of a $20 CD reader, preamp, 500 watt power amp and two small Altec PA cabs. IMHO made Neil Young sound as good as live. However, the death of the power amp, dark-matter black-hole equivalent weight of the speakers and not having a 4500 sq. ft listening space all conspired to equip my home office with an Onkyo receiver hooked up to Klipsch bookshelf speakers fed by my ITunes/Amazon music subscription from the Mac. I get away with this because I am only keeping myself happy, and it works great for that. Remember the line in "Crossroads" with Ralph Macchio where the old guy points out to Ralph that he probably only bought his guitar because it was old? Yeah, I like "Crossroads" and "My Cousin Vinny" too. I have been riding motorcycles since I was 14 and have chosen to ride Triumph for the last 16 years, not HD. Gosh, I didn't know this was going to turn into a screed against my being characterized as "poser" but here we are. BTW, been playing guitar since I was 14 and still ain't all that good (62), and am a Charter Life Member of the American Motorcyclist Association and haven't owned a Hog in 15 years. Philistine that I am, I love Samantha Fox and the Ramones. Have a great day!

drlucky and dogrocketp like this.
  3. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

effzee- exactly. On Beefheart and RJ.

I dunno- people like what they like.I do listen to the "old" "real" "deep" blues, maybe a little less than I used to lately, but I do enjoy Son House and Skip James, Wolf and Muddy and especially John Lee Hooker. Like any other genre, I don't love all of what falls into that/those categories, but the stuff I love, I LOVE. At the same time, i also love and listen to Can and Silver Apples. Portishead and Arno. Unsane and the Jesus Lizard. Mulatu Astatke. Tom waits and Nick Cave and Dirty Three. It's all equally valid to me, but again, I can find things I like and things I don't care for in almost any genre.

That said, modern pop country and most modern "blues" are repulsive to me. YMMV.

FWIW, I still feel like the (it's not new now, but...) record that's most struck me as what modern "blues" should have sounded like is PJ Harvey's To Bring You My Love.

bluesintheblood likes this.
  4. tssmijguitars

tssmijguitars TDPRI Member

All American music is derived from blues and country music from the early 1900’s: Pop, Rock, R&B, Hip Hop, and especially modern Country.
    I hear this influence in everything from Juice World to Metallica to pick a current country artist

5. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

I don't know these guys, or give one crap about others thoughts on why I love the blues. Whether it's Piedmont or Chicago, etc.

Edit: Also, I don't concern myself with why anyone likes or dislikes music I like. That's a waste of time.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Bluzzi likes this.
  6. atoms

atoms TDPRI Member

Could you tell us what/who this is? I'm getting a can't be played in your country error. Thanks!

7. preacherjayk

preacherjayk TDPRI Member

I don't have any recordings of any NEW blues artists, I still have the record collection left to me by my grandmother,she was a hell of a blues guitarist, and I grew up listening to that stuff, then I became a jazz musician, I guess I listen to the old stuff because it's what I've always listened to. I do like some of the new guys like BB of course, but SRV to me was more just Rock and Roll, with a blues flare, The Blues comes from hardship, and the will to overcome it..

8. 1Mudman

1Mudman TDPRI Member

I love the old blues! Its great until a studio filters out the personality and takes something to change into what "they consider" is digitally remastered. I have a son that plays the guitar pretty well but his idea of music and my idea are definitely different. I dont need all these ambient reverbs, delays and alien sounding stuff in my guitar playing. Give me a clear boost, a overdrive, some fuzz, a little reverb and im a happy camper. I dont know how anybody could say SRV wasnt blues? I really dont agree with that. I guess people dont realize Jimmy Hendrix, Rolling Stones and most old Rock bands were based off of the Blues. I have a really tough time trying to understand what this modern music really is. Mostly electronically altered to sound perfect with absolutely no Soul, Warmth or personality. Oh..I have decided they watch to many save the whales and climate change brain wash stuff at school now days and are trying to communicate with marine life and ancient aliens. Thank goodness there is still some good country music bands and musicians out there. Now we have a whole generation of people that actually thinks Rap is music. I decided to learn some modern metal so I could play guitars with one of my sons. You know, its kind of like put big strings on, then drop the tuning and beat the heck out of the E, D or C depending on your tune 6 or 7 times and bounce around from the 3rd fret to the 12th threat with a couple of conflicting notes in between, REPEAT over and mindlessly over as fast as you can. Be sure to tune out all the mids and harmonics, pay big bucks for a amp that has no personality and $200 for a pickup that sounds like a Japanese scooter wound up tight and be sure to sound like you just exited the gates of Hell. put on some girly eyeliner and look down your nose in a drug induce glassy eyed far, far away look. Sorry, Just my opinion. Im kind of protective over the Great Blues players that riffs and style are still used and started many a famous band in the wonderful world of Rock and Roll. I guess i better go turn my gain wide open and start working on my alternate picking as fast as I can. I sure dont want to get behind on this modern music.

Manual Slim and gb Custom Shop like this.
  9. stylemessiah

stylemessiah TDPRI Member

If someone put a gun to my head and told me i could only have 10 blues albums
    out of my collection, those would be the last to go...

10. RichCuellarPDX

RichCuellarPDX Tele-Meister

This thread is ridiculous.

Bluzzi and Manual Slim like this.
  11. BostonTeleGuy

BostonTeleGuy TDPRI Member

When you have not grown up with that kind of music, its usually an acquired taste. I think anyone could probably get into Mississippi John Hurt because he's more melodic than Son House or Charlie Patten but you need to play it a few times to see if you like it. When you first put it on you wont hear the any catchy Michael Jackson hooks but I did get to like some of the old blues.

gb Custom Shop likes this.
  12. Stephenlevin73

Stephenlevin73 TDPRI Member

Robert Johnson and Blind Willie McTell are perennial artists whose work will be relevant for generations after we’re all gone. Johnson as a guitar player, singer, and lyricist is and will always be the pinnacle of the art form. My 2 cents.

13. donnyrocker

donnyrocker TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Is Gary Clark Jr considered blues? I like that.

(I prefer Robert Johnson to Eric Clapton, as far as blues is concerned...)

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Seriously?
    It is amazing to me how people will authoritatively state things that are just simply wrong
    Hank is about as bluegrass as he is polka

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah.
    he's a regular James Brown

ce24 likes this.
  16. gb Custom Shop

gb Custom Shop TDPRI Member

Personally, I tend to gravitate towards 'blues' music of the 60s-70s. It's just what I prefer, and a big reason for that is the electric guitar used in the recordings, whether in a studio or live. I mean, that's why majority of us are here in the first place - the electric guitar brought us here!

When I'm shootin the hoot with some buddies (that have similar musical interests), we'd rather have a howl to something we're all familiar with, and something we perceive as 'fun music' (trying not to name drop, but let's say in between the realm of the 3 kings and some of the folks that played Woodstock) - i.e. something we can sing and jam too ourselves

On the other hand, I'll still listen to some blues in the RJ realm on occasion, but that's pretty much only when I'm by myself. I've probably delved into that era of blues merely to acquaint myself and learn more about the genre. I don't mind the low quality recordings, it has a sort of charm to it, but it's not the sort of music I'll be brushing my teeth to. It's more the kind I'd listen to whilst having a cigar in the tub. And still if I'm in the mood for someone like RJ, I'd probably equally be in the mood for say someone like Wes Montgomery.

I got respect for all the eras. I think there have been great musicians in all of them. Each era also tells a certain part of history through music, and how genres have evolved. I'm just glad that we have such recordings of the genre at its early days to learn from it, and the music I mostly listen to is obviously inspired from it!

ce24 likes this.
  17. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada TDPRI Member

OK kids - today on cultural appropriation arts and crafts we're going to make our own semi-authentic delta blues nicknames!

Start with some kind of medical problem - say blindness, herpes, ghonorhea, gout, or diabetes.
    Then add some kind of fruit - kumquat, lime, artichoke, cantaloupe, etc.
    If fruit isn't to your liking, use an animal name - hamster, housecat, moose, squirrel, etc.
    End your blues nickname with the surname of a president - Jackson, Johnson, Washington, Trump, etc.

Or if you prefer, start with a cut of meat - T Bone, skirt steak, lambchop, rump roast, etc.
    Follow that with a last name - Smith, Jones, Portnoy, Bobolinski, Watson, etc.

Here's a few examples of what you could create:

Syphlitic Poodle Mumford
    Deaf Skunk Wainwright
    Gangrenous Peach Johnson
    Necrotic Squirrel Phillips
    Pot Roast Buttafucco
    Rancid Dick Nixon

Have fun kids! And remember - the blues is something you feel inside, no matter how over-produced it becomes! And Muddy Waters invented electricity (just ask Bob Dylan).

gb Custom Shop likes this.
  18. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada TDPRI Member

Wonder if he could give Biden dance lessons?

19. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

The formula for a good blues musician name is:

Blind + The name of a fruit + The last name of a founding father.

Blind Apple Washington, Blind Orange Jefferson, etc.

20. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Blues is "outdated"? Thanks for letting the rest of us know.

Stain likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.