1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is anyone else convinced...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by tomnardozza, Apr 11, 2021.

1. daryle

daryle TDPRI Member

The oldest blues song recordings i like are Robert Johnson's Crossroads, Sweet Home Chicago,

And some of Howlin Wolf's best hits.

As a 29 year old, i find it hard to appreciate the other recordings of that time period. They're either much too "low fidelity" or the playing style is too strange for my ears.

2. sutree1

sutree1 TDPRI Member

First off: Taj Mahal. Someone had to say it (9 pages in). Blues is a dead genre my arse. Taj can flatten a coliseum with a 6 string and a hat. Does it on the regular. Also, a lot of “rock” is just blues with rock production. White Stripes, Black Keys, etc.

Second. Blues is personal music. That’s the point. That’s why the form is simple, for accessibility. That’s why passion matters more than chops (nothing wrong with chops, either... Satriani and EJ don’t move me as players in particular, but I play well enough to know they are both masters of their instruments, and hold a deep respect for that).

Also so cool to see Blind Connie Williams posted, I love that video! He’s in open F for that performance, in case anyone wants to figure it out.

Also also: Jimmy “Duck” Holmes is badass! I’d never heard him before.

re RJ: I’ve been working on learning his catalog. Challenging doesn’t begin to describe. Such beautifully composed changes, really an exceptional performer. The hype is deserved, but he by no means is the be all/end all.

In parting, here’s Muddy Waters’ friend and mentor Robert Nighthawk, who more people should know

3. kei-o-lei

kei-o-lei TDPRI Member

Yeah, whenever I want to impress I make sure to casually mention Blind Lemon Pledge.

4. Jellyroll

Jellyroll Tele-Holic

I must be honest, I only got one page into this absurd thread. No offense intended to the OP, but I am always a little saddened when someone feels the need to question the authenticity of opposing viewpoints, taste, idiosyncrasy and subjectivity. It’s as if “that isn’t my experience” is supposed to be enough to invalidate another persons taste.
    Personally, I truly adore those old acoustic blues players. Blind Lemon Jefferson, Skip James, Rev Gary Davis, Robert Johnson, and think that they are actually far more talented than most of the subsequent blues players.
    I’m glad we live in a much bigger universe where people legitimately enjoy many varied forms of music. I mean, wouldn’t it be boring if we were all the same?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    drlucky, 41144 and Dave Hicks like this.
  5. Jimstag

Jimstag TDPRI Member

I’ve got a cheap department store catalogue amp from the 60s...

6. Swatt101

Swatt101 TDPRI Member

Right on

7. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Tele-Meister

Not everybody is a poser. Some people actually do listen to those guys.

Then you have my buddy who said he listens to "real blues" when I turned on BB King. Literally turning his nose up as if it wasn't good enough. He's referring to exactly the kind of guys you're talking a out. Robert Johnson, Blind so & so, etc...as if he actually listens to those guys. Except I know this guy. We hang out. And I know for a fact he doesn't listen to them.

Mind you this same guy asked me for advice about learning to play guitar and what to start with so I pointed him towards electric guitars since I have 3 and have experience with them. A week later, he tells me basically "forget what you said. I've been talking to 'professionals' and they said to start with a Ukelele so I'm looking for one of those now. I ain't worried about no electric guitar. They also said I need to grow my fingernails out to pluck the strings...". OK dude. You listen to your professionals.

So he gets a Uke and a few days later he texts me asking if I had any extra picks and if he could have one. I told him to go ask his professional buddies because I gave my extras to my niece. Lol

drlucky, lil scotty and Manual Slim like this.
  8. Robert Alger

Robert Alger TDPRI Member

I love old blues. Low quality to me is YouTube, not Elmore James. Sometimes people are just being honest, and it has nothing to do with you. Shocking I know.

drlucky, effzee and Jellyroll like this.
  9. Yuro

Yuro Tele-Meister

I got to see Albert King in a 150 seat venue. He played his Flying V upside down. It was very very good. Also Buddy Guy and Jr. Wells on a different night same place...Also very, very good, especially Jr. Buddy, actually wasn't fully into it. Maybe buzzed? I dunno but he was in and out...when he was in, he was terrific. ...Also Muddy Waters in the same place different night. That guy had some sort of magic going on. He played the red tele, which, to my mind, isn't a stellar guitar by any means, but the band and his mastery of the songs was just there.

Blues, for me is live music. It's just great when it's done right and it's live. Old blues records have a bit of charm but they're not real blues for me. One thing I do like about old recordings is that they're so simple, you can pick things up off them much easier than highly produced records.

-TB

dogrocketp likes this.
  10. gcdcpakmbs

gcdcpakmbs TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I have a bunch (probably 60) cassettes of live recordings of bluesmen from the early-mid 70's made in bars around the Dallas / Denton / Austin areas. Talk about some bad recordings, but I didn't have the cash for high-fidelity recording equipment. Still need to digitize it for posterity. I like them. That may have as much to do with who I was with, where I was, my age, or a multitude of other things. But I listen to a wide variety of music. Classical guitar, jazz, blues, bluegrass, gospel, various rock flavors. Have live recordings in all those genres.

11. gkmacdonald

gkmacdonald TDPRI Member

What would the music sound like if the original blues never had happened? Everything being done today is influenced by it.

12. davednconfused

davednconfused NEW MEMBER!

I can't tell if this is a joke or not! ha

those players stand alone. no one plays like Blind Blake for instance. If you appreciate guitar you gotta go to the source - low fi recordings or not. These guys wrote the book on so much of what we do on the guitar now.

As someone else mentioned too those recordings aren't all bad and there's a charm to them. I personally don't enjoy many modern recordings of blues music as something about cleaning the whole thing up and adding reverb etc. never sounds right to me.

drlucky and Jellyroll like this.
  13. MarkLloyd

MarkLloyd TDPRI Member

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well...if it was Blues, one could just call it Blues.
    Since it's Blues Rock....
    That's a big genre, though.
    I contacted some guys looking for a guitar player for their "Blues Rock" band and it was Aerosmith and Guns and Roses...
    Maybe sometimes it means Rock played buy guys who only know a pentatonic scale.

drlucky and telemnemonics like this.
  15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

:lol:

This brings the crux clearly into view.
    Lots of folks feel they are free to make up their own definitions of things
    It goes for blues, and it goes for rock 'n roll.

And then when someone challenges their um, interesting take on that, they let go with the "police" label.
    Someone calls an apple a banana, and someone else says no, that's not a banana, that's an apple, and get ready for accusations of "FRUIT POLICE!!!" :lol:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  16. MarkLloyd

MarkLloyd TDPRI Member

Wartime pressings were on inferior material that wore out after a few plays with the too-rugged needles a blues fan back then used. Thus there doesn't seem to be be even one pristine Charlie Patton record in the world, but you can find recordings of Robert Johnson that are beautiful. i guess you might not look very hard to find them if you don't enjoy the music.

17. portsider

portsider Tele-Meister

I personally listen to Elmore, Muddy, Wolf and Jimmy Reed all the time.
    RJ is more of an occasional listen as is Blind Willie Mctell.

drlucky likes this.
  18. Captdan61

Captdan61 TDPRI Member

Try giving muddy waters record HARD AGAIN a listen. I don't think there is a bad song on it. It is not all acoustic. But it is all good.

effzee likes this.
  19. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This thread is sticking in my craw. I mean srsly, when I want to be pretentious I point out that I'm a Capt Beefheart fan and I like Trout Mask Replica (but I listen to Lick my Decals off Baby more often).

But Robert Johnson? Robert Johnson was a guitar monster. There's a reason all the lightning boys stole from him and simplified his riffs - they couldn't begin to think about how to play his music in the original, no way.

And the lyrics from back then were deep, highly inventive, poetic and touching on many themes from love to death to religion to politics and racism.

drlucky, Stain, bottlenecker and 6 others like this.
  20. fatboris1

fatboris1 Tele-Meister

I won’t say I regularly “listen to” but do have a love and appreciation. It’s difficult to explain so I’ll give an example. Take Willie Brown, I love that guy but I don’t listen to him every day. When I really start listening to him is after I go on a tear listening to Eugene Martone, then I’ll go back and listen to Willie Brown records. I find I’ll pick up on some of the nuances that influenced Eugene I might have missed before. Some things will be almost carbon copy and some details you see evolved. You know the expression “wearing many hats” right? Both of them wear a hat, but they’re different styles of hat...If that makes sense.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.