Is anybody else in recovery or clean and sober?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Suicideking, Feb 26, 2011.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was at about 5 months when I realized getting ready for bed that I had not thought about using all day long.
    Not that life suddenly got easy, but that was pretty cool.

2. losrogers

losrogers Tele-Meister

Awesome, man.
    There is a solution, and the promises are true.
    It keeps getting better, even when life doesn't always...

3. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

4. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Been alcohol-free for a few weeks now but am dealing with being hypoglycemic like many other drinkers and former drinkers. To fix that I have to stop smoking cigars, no caffeine (no problem there) and start eating a basically paleo diet. I'm at the woe-is-me stage where almost everything I loved to drink, smoke and eat is verboten. They say things will be wonderful after awhile. :rolleyes:

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I ran into the same issue when I first quit, going from a high sugar "hydraulic" diet to a normal one will throw your body chemistry all out of whack. Ice cream works wonders.

6. HotRodSteve

I don't think I'll be eating ice cream for awhile, too much of a sugar and then insulin spike and then hypoglycemic city. This is going to be a slow and steady process to get things back to normal.

7. telemnemonics

In a way having a fairly serious health problem and the willingness to take care of your body can really help the recovery process.
    For me chronic pain was a big motivator, but having taken a beating over the years I pretty much have to take care of myself or suffer consequences.

Making healthy living choices has maybe not been one of my big character assets prior to recovery!

I've watched a couple of diabetic friends in recovery kill themselves just as surely with sugar abuse as they had been with alcohol abuse, visited one gentleman in the hospital a couple of days before he died, a couple of days after his second leg amputation.

It's great that you're aiming to live healthy, hang in there!
    I struggle more around the holidays...

Edit: Not sure how hypoglycemic is related to diabetic.

8. HotRodSteve

From what I've googled and heard from my doctor drinking too much alcohol makes the body go into overdrive by pumping too much insulin to bring the sugar level down. Alcohol is basically a big sugar rush to your body. What happens is the insulin drops your blood glucose level down too low and you get hypoglycemic. Unless you maintain a steady supply of food or booze in your body.

So now my body is adjusting to not getting that nightly injection of Jack Daniels. I heard that a healthy Paleo diet (but not too low-carb) will little by little straighten things out. Unless I reintroduce JD into the mix.

Stay strong!

9. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

I check in here regularly to learn how others are dealing. You guys that are struggling are in my thoughts. Hang in there. Eventually everything will start to fall into place. Its a life adjustment on so many levels. I have faith in you guys.

FG

10. telemnemonics

11. HotRodSteve

Thanks FG, we can use all the good thoughts we can get!

12. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It takes time. I think it was maybe eight months or so before my body (and mind) finally stabilized. It was really hard sleeping at first, and the emotional roller coaster was not too fun. I had really bad anxiety attacks for a while, the doctor put me on a mild dosage of Zoloft to help level those out. That lasted for not quite a year as well.

Ultimately, though, the end result is that I sleep well every night, wake up every morning feeling good, and I have a completely different perspective on so much that very little really gets me upset anymore. Things that my co-workers freak out about aren't jack spit compared to the things that I have already experienced.

13. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

I agree with that. AA has helped millions, and I'm sure is the best possible approach for many people, but there are other approaches that work (I personally have used a combination of AVRT, Allen Carr's How to Control Your Drinking book, and leaning on the terrific support community at Soberrecovery.com).

What I think we can all agree on is that the key is to have a concrete plan, for all situations, and to get as much support as you can possibly get, friends, family, 12 Step groups, online forums, whatever works for you. Going it purely on your own, relying solely on your will power to "Just say no" when someone offers you a drink, is clearly the highest risk approach. That kind of pride, or whatever it is, can be fatal as Telemnemonics rightly pointed out.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  14. LyleGorch

LyleGorch TDPRI Member

The needle 42 years
    Alcohol 26 years
    Weed and cigarettes 15 years
    65 years old and loving life!

15. Cjl77

Cjl77 Tele-Meister

Lylegorch, not sure if your saying that your still going strong?
    42 yrs with a needle, if that implies what I assume it does, then I promise life is not good. No way no how!!!
    Although one can make oneself believe anything!!

16. Cjl77

Cjl77 Tele-Meister

Lylegorch,
    I get it now. Sorry, I'm kinda slow!!

17. HotRodSteve

Yep, drinking alcohol can do alot of damage and it'll take awhile to undo it. Ain't it great how alcohol is just a beverage and not a dangerous drug?

Good that you totally recovered, that's a major victory in life. Thanks for the encouragement.

18. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Of course. This all started because of my reply to a snarky comment about AA. Which I think was uncalled for. I should have more direct in my reply I guess.

19. telemnemonics

This is a pretty sensitive and complex subject, I'm sure I miss the mark a fair bit with my words.
    Hopefully, all of our comments combine to be helpful.

20. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Just checking in, it seems like there are a few who want to derail this great thread with their negativity and that's a shame.

I just had my 16 year mark right before Thanksgiving. Good luck to all of you have just started their recovery, stay strong and lean on those who have offered their support.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.