1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is anybody else in recovery or clean and sober?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Suicideking, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I quit the smokes 25 years ago, I quit the booze 17 years ago this past Jan 1st. I didn't have any kind of support group, but I might should have. I talked to a guy once from AA who said I was just a dry drunk, but I suppose that could be said for guys who quit with a support group too. At any rate what's done is done. My wife doesn't care why I don't smoke and drink anymore, she's just glad I chose to become someone who doesn't use anything to alter my consciousness.

2. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

Do not let anybody dictate what you feel is helping you. Unless someone has experienced full blown panic anxiety attacks they have no idea what it feels like. Stay on the medicine that is helping. Down the road you will probably be able to ween yourself off of them with a Dr's help. But don't be shamed into not taking something that is helping you to move forward with your life. Read up on and understand what you are taking, and listen to your Dr's warnings of the dangers of mixing medications with alcohol. Good luck to you, stay the course...remember that the longest journey begins with one small step.

3. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Thanks ;)

4. drob

drob Tele-Holic

After too many years disappointing the important people in my life, I've decided to quit. Will try it alone. If I fail I will seek help. I told my wife because I just needed to say the words out loud. I'm an alcoholic, and I will quit - for good. I've read this thread before,and came back to it yesterday. I read every post. Thanks to all who've shared their experience. I hope to be able to report back with more positive insight at some future point.

5. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Tele-Afflicted

My last drink was March 3rd of this year (167 days). Two months later I quit smoking. No doubt I feel better both physically and about myself. Living sober does however give a person the time and focus to have to deal with issues that were drowned out before....both good and bad.

6. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Good for you drob, I encourage you to at least try an AA meeting. The odds are against you going it alone, you will need some support. I wish you all the best in your recovery

Steve

7. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Nice. I would also encourage you to try meetings. I don't go much anymore but for the first 6months-a year they saved me. I was lucky. My best friend got sober about 6 months before me so I was able to go to meetings with him so I wasn't doing it by myself. But remember, even if you don't have a friend you know going with you, you're still not doing it alone. Look at all the people on this forum alone who are with you. It sounds like a cliche but this helped me a lot. I thought everyone would be different from me. I thought my situation was way worse than anyone could possibly relate to. But at my first meeting the first guy that shared talked about the craziest stuff i ever heard, way worse than anything I'd ever done (and I was really bad) and he'd been totally sober for like 25 years. That's almost as long as I've been alive! Hearing stuff like that helped me a lot. Good luck to you and God Bless.

8. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

An admission of my alcoholism and good intentions didn’t work for me. Then when I drank again, it felt worse than ever, after about nine years of that I finally gave up and tried AA, it’s the very best thing I’ve ever done. It’ll be 28 years in March. I’ve met so many wonderful people, many of whom I met in the first few weeks are close friends today.

9. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

10. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

When I was new in recovery 20 odd years ago there was an oldtimer at the meetings with 40 + years of sobriety. I asked him how to do it. His answer, "don't drink and don't die". It's almost that simple, but I still need meetings,,,,,,

11. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Good on ya!

12. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It doesn't matter how you quit just that you do. AA is much like the TDPRI, there's a wrench for every nut.

13. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I couldn't agree more! All the best, drob!

14. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Yup!

15. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

Support and respect.

16. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

What do you do if a person you love won't go to AA and yet can't stop drinking for any length of time?

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

You check out Al-Anon.

18. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So very true. If you don't pick up, you can't use.

ps: I had 26 yrs on 8/13

19. Headless Axeman

Headless Axeman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm right with you, 1955. I'm going to my first Alanon meeting this week. Don't see how it'll help, but don't know what else to do.

20. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I found that if I stopped drinking--which fortunately was not difficult for me--my own feelings about a loved one's drinking have been easier to manage.

I have no explanation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.