Is anybody else in recovery or clean and sober?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Suicideking, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

I've often thought that since I do most things alone, and I used to drink alone a lot, that I could quit drinking alone too. Not necessarily so.

Thanks for the support folks, especially those who PMed me.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's great to hear, Mike. We all have rough spots, it's all in how we decide to cope with them. One of the little nuggets of inspiration that is heard often amongst those of us who have travelled this road is "this, too, shall pass."

3. Markdett

Markdett Tele-Meister

Still living sober, one day at a time. Come January, there will be 50 yrs of sobriety in our house, with me at 27, and my lady at 23 yrs.
    When I first got sober, I couldn't imagine life without booze. I didn't know how to relax, how to let myself just have fun without a drink. Now, I can't imagine living WITH alcohol in my life again.

4. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

That's good news Mike, remember "One day at a time".

5. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have been reading this thread for quite some time and finally decided to post. I have been a serious beer drinker since high school except for a stretch when I was in college because school was important to me. I was at an out of town gig on Oct. 5, 2012 and got plowed with two bandmates the night before the gig. I got into it with one of them and quit the band on the spot (she was a ***** anyway) and started a six hour drive home. Not good. I realized the next day that a lot of the bad decisions that I have made were done while drunk. I have been pounding beer almost daily for many, many years. So, as of 10-6, no drinks for me. This has not been easy even though my wife is very supportive. I have bought some n.a. beer and that has helped. I'm not doing the support thing but I have a very close bass player friend who has been sober for seven years and I can whine to him if I need to.
    I'm done with that particular band but I have another much busier band and I let them know I quit. Evenings are the worst because my habit was to dive into beer as soon as I got home from work. It helps if I eat something as soon as I get home since I never liked to drink after a meal. I usually drank and then ate a late dinner.
    I'm pretty much a loner and I won't do AA or anything through my HMO. I do miss the beer though and hope this is all worth it. I'll be real happy if I can loose some weight too.

6. Frodebro

The fact that you made the decision on your own is a very good thing. The most successful recoveries are the people who did it for themselves, of their own free will. I have met dozens upon dozens of people who attended meetings or rehab due to court orders or pressure from others, and you can tell right away that their hearts just aren't in it.

Best of luck in your journey, and always remember that it CAN be done.

7. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

That's great jguitarman. I found posting here really helped me, and it may also have helped others as well. I know I've been encouraged by reading other people's stories.

8. dogfootblues

dogfootblues Tele-Afflicted

Im a loner too. i would reckon that just about all of us are or were. I do go to meetings and met good, clean guys. Some pickers too. but uust because you dont go dosent mean your not on the right path. Just having a friend who knows what its like to be in your shoes to listen to you is enough. The urge is the killer. Get over the urge. I didnt realise that my life would change so much from being sober, and i tell you what, theyve all been changes that made my life a better one to live.

9. ermac68

ermac68 Tele-Meister

I think you got that about right. Alcohol was the solution (while it worked) for a much bigger problem. ME. Learning how to live life, on life's terms, without a drink or drug is the real goal in this road to recovery. As the days have turned into weeks, months, and years I don't even think about the drink as a solution. But I still have to deal the fear, disappointments, and emotions that go along with everyday life. For me, the program has given me the tools to deal with everyday life and helped me create a life worth staying sober for. I wish you all the same.

10. dogfootblues

dogfootblues Tele-Afflicted

Tell ya the truth. I wish there were a musician type NA/AA type group.

11. ermac68

ermac68 Tele-Meister

There is one in my area and may be one in your area. Ask around. When all else fails you can start your own group. When two or more are gathered...

12. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Do you think it's different for musos?

13. Frodebro

I haven't had a drink in seven years, and I haven't been to a meeting in about six. It's a different process for everybody, though. I know some people with over a decade of sobriety who still attend multiple meetings every week. For many people, the program becomes an integral part of their lifestyle. For me it was a means to an end, kind of a stepping stone into a new life.

14. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No, but there are plenty of them in the rooms.

15. sonserve

sonserve Friend of Leo's

Yeah it can be hard.
    I take note of my small victories as they come along, get in lots of meetings, meet with my sponsor, hang out with like minded people...
    I am a little over 4 months at this time.

Hang in there as best you can brother. If you ever want to shoot an email my way I am here for any of you guys.

16. Frodebro

Oh, yeah. Gigging was a huge help in getting me into the program! :D

17. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic

All strength to you jguitarman, it's a good thing you decided when you did. After the life you've been living your body probably would have been the thing that made the decision for you if your head hadn't. If it got to that my friend, you'd have been in deep doo-doo. Well done on some sound thinking. Keep well and stay close to your wife and guitar.

18. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

Well in my case, it was a fellow musician who, when I really needed it, pointed me in the direction of AA, when I got there I was amazed by the number of people I knew in the room, several that I knew from the bar band scene, wondered where they had gone. One was kinda a hero of mine when I was starting to play.When I saw him there I thought "If that assh*le can do it I can". helped keep me sober when I was struggling.

19. dgr888

dgr888 Tele-Meister

Keep up the good work everyone!! Clean and sober since 1982 and still going strong..As many will find it truly the best thing you can do for yourself. As a side benefit it is a great character builder because no situation or no one can make you go down that path again!!
    Good Luck to all of you!!

20. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just wanted to say again that I've been in recovery since 1988. After trying so many times to stop on my own, I realized I couldn't do it alone and decided to give NA a chance. For me it worked. Although many of us came from different backgrounds and did different drugs (alcohol is a drug), we seem to be able to relate to each other in the meetings. One of the meetings I regularly attend has gigging musicians attending and since moving to S. FL we have become friends with one of them and we have jammed frequently. Thinking us as being different is detrimental to our recovery.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.