Is Antonio Brown worth the aggravation?

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Whatever the cause, no one seems to be helping him. Most of his teammates, the league and some of the foundations should. If you believe they have to reach bottom before they can be helped, he seems close. Sad it is likely to be a meme first.

the tough thing is people are 'free' as long as they don't commit crimes.... we can't force them to get help or else we are oppressors (which makes sense because people would abuse that too!)

it is terrible to witness. I'm just not gonna hate him on the way down. Instead, I'll hope he chooses to get help (and I think Brady etc TRY to help him)

If you have ever had a family member go down to drugs or mental illness, you'll know those moments when you cannot do anything for them and you have to just let them go UNTIL they finally hit bottom and they can be helped if they aren't dead.

I have a relative that to this day, denies she really needed 'all that' to get straightened up. For those of us that lived it... we just kind of look at each other and are glad it has passed.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
The thing about help is that you usually have to seek it out. If he doesn't think he has a problem...

Maybe Brittany Spears dad can manage his affairs.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
the tough thing is people are 'free' as long as they don't commit crimes.... we can't force them to get help or else we are oppressors (which makes sense because people would abuse that too!)

it is terrible to witness. I'm just not gonna hate him on the way down. Instead, I'll hope he chooses to get help (and I think Brady etc TRY to help him)

If you have ever had a family member go down to drugs or mental illness, you'll know those moments when you cannot do anything for them and you have to just let them go UNTIL they finally hit bottom and they can be helped if they aren't dead.

I have a relative that to this day, denies she really needed 'all that' to get straightened up. For those of us that lived it... we just kind of look at each other and are glad it has passed.

BTDT more than once. I don't like to write people off either. Firing them is often a good move, though.

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
...Most guys by the time they are in the NFL have already had several head shots way before college even starts.

I have always found it curious when players retire and go into broadcasting. There are always a few that can't string a few sentences together coherently at least for some time when they start their broadcasting careers. Phil Sims used to be a disaster. He has seemed to have gotten better. OJ wasn't very good at articulating. Yesterday I was listening to Adam Archuleta and there were times where he sound like Woody Harrelson after toking up. Favre has even said that there are long periods of time that he can't recall in the least. And Antonio Brown makes me think that he could be dangerous to someone or himself which wouldn't be uncommon for someone with CTE. Think Mike Webster or Hernandez. The NFL needs to step up more so but, sadly, all of the ranks below the NFL can't be as effective for reducing head trauma. They have little incentive for doing so because they aren’t as exposed to the public writ large like the NFL.

Last edited:

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
Isn't that the guy who yelled demeaning and chauvinistic things at his ex in front of their children, and videoed the whole incident so that he could post it online? He's a disgusting sociopath, and shouldn't even be allowed to play in the pros given his history.

Which NFL player are you referring to??? Quite a few would fit the description above... :rolleyes:

AB is just another prime example NOT to watch the NFL. :(

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I have always found it curious when players retire and go into broadcasting. There are always a few that can't string a few sentences together coherently at least for some time when they start their broadcasting careers. Phil Sims used to be a disaster. He has seemed to have gotten better. OJ wasn't very good at articulating. Yesterday I was listening to Adam Archuleta and there were times where he sound like Woody Harrelson after toking up. Favre has even said that there are long periods of time that he can't recall in the least. And Antonio Brown makes me think that he could be dangerous to someone or himself which wouldn't be uncommon for someone with CTE. Think Mike Webster or Hernandez. The NFL needs to step up more so but, sadly, all of the ranks below the NFL can't be as effective for reducing head trauma. They have little incentive for doing so because they are as exposed to the public writ large like the NFL.

The problem is that there isn't a 'wise man' who runs everything and, even if there was, half the folks of the world wouldn't do what he said or listen to him or agree with him.

The NFL has changed lots of rules, the game is hard to recognize vs. the game of the 70s in an attempt to reduce long term effects, but there is no simple way to do it.... and, frankly, calling it all off is just unlikely with so many who want to play, so may jobs on the line and so many people who want to watch, bet, play fantasy etc.

and... football isn't even the most dangerous sport that is allowed (not by a longshot)

easy answers won't solve the situation. I wish they did.

lammie200

Friend of Leo's

and... football isn't even the most dangerous sport that is allowed (not by a longshot)

easy answers won't solve the situation. I wish they did.

Probably more dangerous:

https://radseason.com/event/calcio-storico-fiorentino-florence-italy/

I don't think that American football will ever be safe but I do think that they have modified the rules slightly to make it marginally safer. They should continue to work on that aspect of the game. When I played sand lot football there was no way you were going to get a concussion. Just never happened. It was still fun to play and, frankly, I had more fun playing that way than I ever did playing with pads and helmets. Find ways to take head contact out of the game, period.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Short answer: nope.
Longer answer: he has been a diva for a good while, but the Steelers let him get away with it because of his play on the field. But he's gone beyond diva at this point, and I have serious concerns that we are looking at a case study in the effects of CTE. He has definitely seemed worse since that big head shot he took from Burfict, at least publicly. And the answer is still nope. It's also probably best for his to not be playing a contact sport any longer.
Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is the term used to describe brain degeneration likely caused by repeated head traumas. As evidenced by his behavior on and off the field. Hopefully yes he gets help and isn't picked up by any team again.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Some people are always set on self-sabotage mode.
GIVE ENOUGH STEROIDS OR SIMILAR MEDICATIONS FOR INJURIES MANY MANY MANY ALTERATIONS ARE POSSIBLE, AN DO.

huh? oh , no we don't allow banded substances to be used by players, the exaggerated behaviors after just about any play during the game is perfectly normal among excited male athletes who are properly motivated.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I think since Amazon Prime has bought Thursday night football, they will combine a little business influence and input. The AP proposed football uniform in 2027.

Attachments

• 1641335421919.png
    1641335421919.png
    179.9 KB · Views: 8

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I'll tell you what isn't worth the aggrevation... watching the Cleveland Browns.
I've gotten a lot of enjoyment watching the Browns during these past 18 years while my Steelers have had Ben Roethlisberger.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
sorry, duplicate post. Thanks, new system...

Last edited:

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
sorry, triplicate post. thanks new system...

Last edited:

captain_jack

Tele-Meister
The basis of the whole game is barely controlled assault of every type. Between the ethos it takes to play it well and the damage it does to the human brain, it’s amazing to me there isn’t MORE assault of all types from pro players.
While it's hard to disagree with that assessment, it begs the question: why does that make it ok?