Is a Weber Z Matcher the best way for me to go?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Rufus, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I have a 1971 SF Super Reverb and a 1957 Fender Tweed Champ. I play 99% of the time in my house, and even though its overkill, I don't want to lose the SR (just make it smaller and maybe a little less loud). I also want to be able to hear the Champ thru something other than the original stock 8" speaker.

I was wanting to use both amps as basically heads and have the ability to run them each (though not at the same time) thru a 2x10" extension cab. I have (I believe) four good 10" CTS speakers in the '71 Super Reverb and was planning on using two of them for the extension cab...at least for now.

I believe the SR needs to see 2 Ohms and the Champ wants to see 4 ohms (actually 3.2 or something?).

Instead of going to 6V6s or changing the SR OT or having a OT/speaker ohm mismatch...would a Weber Z Matcher at roughly $100 be the easiest and cheapest way to be able to run each of these amps to the 2x10" CTS alnicos?

I know my limits and would not do any tube amp electrical mods in the chassis myself...other than maybe rehousing each amp chassis in a head cab.

thanks for educating an electrical dunce.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Dukex likes this.
  2. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

I don't see any reason why it won't work. I use mine in a similar way with three different amps. Call Weber and discuss your exact situation with them. Good luck and have fun with that setup!

Rufus likes this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I prefer head units and run several different ones through one of 4 cabinets all the time using the Weber unit. It works out great and doesn't color your tone one bit. So if you want to run that champ through a 2x10...go for it! I run a Bassman through about every combination possible just to try out different sizes and types of speakers. For about $100 used those Z-Matchers are a great tool.

Rufus likes this.
  4. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I've got one and would never part with it... does what it's designed to do and nothing more (coloring your sound). I have no idea how they work but they do!

Rufus likes this.
  5. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have been wanting to do this for quite some time but wasn't sure the best way to go about it, until I read some old threads and did some research.

I think I will pull the trigger on a 50 watt Z Matcher and finally make it happen.

6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I ended up with the 100w version used at my local shop. It was funny, the shop owner thought it was some sort of pedal and wasn't really sure what it actually did. They took it as part of a multi-amp deal, I paid $87 and it was still in the box. I didn't look to see what they are new, but I do know that there is often a few weeks waiting period for one if you go that route. You don't find them very often used, but worth looking in the bushes for one.

7. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

About $140 or so, brand new for the 100 Watt. You got a good deal.

Milspec likes this.
  8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Every once in a long while I catch a break. I was actually surprised at the size and weight of the thing...built like a tank.

Rufus likes this.
  9. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Long time ago, found one used for $50, and it is often used to do run 2 separate cabs out of 1 amp

corn husk bag likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.