1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Is a Twin Reverb the only way to Bakersfield country tone?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JTM45blues, Sep 24, 2008.

1. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

Ok, so I've been listening to lots of Bakersfield country and Texas country lately. I've got a home built Tele (black guard style) with the brass saddles, USACG super light ash body and a Duncan Broadcaster pickup in the bridge, you know the style...

I've been playing blues now for about 5 years, and have developed a nice little rig for traditional blues. But lately, its low note twangin, truck driver country music that is really tickling my ears. How is it that I get that tone? Must I buy a Twin Reverb? I know technique is alot of that tone, but I know the amp is critical too. Can a Deluxe Reverb get that tone? What about the reissues of a Twin Reverb or Deluxe Reverb???

My current amps are a 5E3 clone, and a pair of Victoria's, a Double Deluxe and 35310. I also use a Fender reverb tank alot. For pedals, I have a Hotcake, Fulldrive 2, Boss tuner, tremolo and an Ibanez Analog Delay.

The tone that I'm really chasing is Don Rich, Gene Moles, Dale Watson and some Roy Nichols and Redd V. stuff too. Now of course I don't have their hands, nor am I even 1/1000th of a player that a monster like Mr. Volkaert is. I'm just wondering if I need to invest in a Twin or if there are other options.

I saw some pics of Don and Buck playing through a Tweed Bassman in the early days, but later I heard they switched to BF Twins and Supers.

Advice please?

2. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I think that just about any BF or SF Fender amp with reverb ought to work. I know my Princeton Reverb gets there...

Cheers, Tim

3. Chris Leger

Chris Leger Banned

Don and Buck switched because they weren't getting the authentic Bakersfield™ tone that they were chasing.

4. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Well, if you want a modern bulletproof BF Super, try an Allen Amplification Old Flame. I just got one and with the 3-knob reverb section, it's the best clean tone I've ever had....

Running it through a custom 2x10 cabinet with a couple reconed 1966 Jensen C10N's, with Weber Beam Blockers.....

5. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I like my mean ol' Silver face twin from '73, for 6 bills and some new speakers of your choice You'll get that Don rich tone in any hall you play, they are heavy tho and if you wanna, check out Peavey, Redd uses em and he ain't no slouch in the tone dept, and hell, he's on this forum , ask him direct!

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

You said you have a Fender Reverb unit...

If you have a decent speker cab to run, I would keep my eyes peeled for a black, brown, or blonde (take your pick, they all kill) Tremolux head.

They can still be had, in great shape, for a lot less dough than alot of other vintage Fenders, and the tone? How sweet it is!!

7. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

I am sure that some folks will disagree with my choice but almost any amp I have used lately and that includes my 5f4 and 5e3 and my Silvertone 1472 and my two SS bass heads which are a Kustom III and a Traynor Mono Block I can get good country twang using my Digitech PR Pedals either of my 50s or my 80. Use the black face setting and you really can change the tone of a tweed amp or a bass amp and the added effects help too. Using brighter speakers for these amps help too.

8. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A key piece of needed info is missing - at what volume level do you need to sound like that? And if it's at high volume, can you mike the amp or do you need to have the amp do all the work?

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

+1. Imio, any BF/SF Fender REverb amp will do that sound at some volume level. The TR does it best, imo. The SS rectification, big wattage and the big iron in the OT gets that sound done the best, to my ear. Big firm bottom end, sparkling highs....
    The 5F6A Tweed BAssman that was mentioned yields fairly firm lows at some volume and the GZ34 rectification is fairly firm, but there is a reason why LEo and Co. went looking for bigger, firmer lows and cleaner sounds. LEo always listened to the pro players, and he gave them what they wanted. This path sort of led Fender away from what many rock players eventually decided on..which were amps based on the tweed Bassman, which have more preamp gain tied to strong power sections.
    TR's do that sound like no other amp...at ANY volume you want or need.

10. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Bill Kirchen did exactly that kind of music for many years on a Deluxe Reverb, like his SFDR shown below (the other amp was a backup) before moving to his Talos amp. Jim Weider's gig amp of choice is also a DR.

[​IMG]

11. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

Well I don't need it to be at a really loud volume. Loud enough for "large club" work, is that a fair assessment? For blues work I use the Victoria Double Deluxe, and its TREMENDOUS for blues and alt-country work, with its beautiful natural dirty sound. For traditional country its way too saggy, even it lower volumes it seems. Usually on blues gigs I use this one set on about 6, with a 5y3 rectifier tube, the speakers are a Jensen P12Q and a C12N.

The 35310 (Tweed Bandmaster) seems to hang together pretty good, but I don't get that BIG, authoritative low end tone on the low E string licks. I love the P10R's in this, but I think they might be the culprit of not having a lot of "whallop".

To define my meaning of "large club", around here its places that you can fit 150 - 400 into, sometimes we'll be outdoors, and then I'll mic it for sure.

As for micing, generally speaking we'll just be using the PA for vocals and a little string bass and kick drum. We use the 1200 watt Carvin PA, and a couple Yamaha BR15's for our PA, if its outside we add another pair of Yamaha BR15's.

Now granted, right now, I'm not an experienced 'twanger' but I'm working on that as quick as I can. I'm only listening to Redd, Red, Merle, Buck and Dale, that's all I've listened to for 2 weeks straight. I'm working through books, taking lessons, playing along with cds, etc. So I wanted to sound at least "half" authentic once I really get the style down.

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That 35310 wont' get that big firm bottom...the Bandmaster 5E7 circuit allows a lot of compression and singing tones when pushed. YEs, some different speakers would firm things up, but then you lose the beauty of that amp. And...the 35310 never gets that big, firm low end hit. The 5F6A Bassman and the TWeed Twins get closer with the increased rectification and long-tailed PI.
    Imho, a TR would you good. A Super REverb might get it done. Without micing in the clubs, a DR won't cut it for my money. The TWin REverb would have no problems working that sound for you in the clubs or outdoors.

13. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you're talking about large club volume, unmiked, I'd say Super Reverb at a minimum, or Allen Old Flame which is a better amp in the same concept / tone family.

14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

If cost is an object, stop overthinking it and get a SF twin. Clean and bright, any volume.

15. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a Twin convert; I say, just get one.

Mine is a current reissue, and the clean tones are perfect. I think you'd nail the tone you're looking for, and even if you don't -- I bet you end up loving the amp.

16. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

If it doesn't have to be a combo and since you have a tank reverb you could get a dual showman.

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I've thought a lot about this.

YES.

18. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

No, but they're a great way to get Bakersfield tone. Considering how affordable used Twins (SF and especially the red knob variant) are these days I probably wouldn't consider anything else. Of course, I respect anyone who wants to follow his/her own path!

Eggman

19. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I certainly don't think a Twin Reverb is the only way to get the tone you're looking for, but you clearly need more amps, so I say get one immediately.

20. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Afflicted

I've had two Twins and loved them, but the weight got to be too much for me. I'm sure you don't need one to get the sound. Certain smaller Fenders listed above should do the job. I did like the Deluxe I had. I don't know enough about other brands to comment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.