Is a neck plate needed?

ppg677

Tele-Meister
Seems it would be cleaner to countersink holes, use a washer, and attach a neck without a neck plate.

Is it functionally needed?

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I do neck ferrules instead of plates from time to time when asked for. You put them in just like string ferrules.

I like 1/2" or 5/8" diameter ones for looks and most you find are quite large. I believe I got my last few at Bitter Root guitars to get the smaller ones. They are a bit of a pain to me when plates in comparison are virtually no work. The look is clean though.
Just be aware they take shorter screws and using the standard ones can bite you.

Eric
0669e65f0516ce3cae94f98d350cbc54.jpg
63eb51ea547679d688882cb95030f04f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

philosofriend

Tele-Afflicted
If the guitar was to, say, fall down a flight of stairs it would be less likely to split the body wood with a neck plate. Very few guitars will ever be tested to that degree.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
I'd say yes that plate is useful, not needed.
In terms of physics it distributes the tension on the neck and body minimalisg harm if dropped.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
Distribution of load is a basic engineering practice. Tying all four screw heads together with a plate also minimizes shear forces on any one screw.

As @Tonetele says, it’s overkill on a guitar, sort of.

But if you’re building a bridge it’s very important.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
NO. I'm surprised Fender stays with the plate all these years. But, it's easy and it works I guess.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
As above, with the caveat that it also depends on the neck pocket and thickness of the body/platform for bolting. This would rarely be an issue except in an unusual design, as in the case of some body carves deliberately intended to remove lots of material from that very location. Though the plate is overkill most of the time, it is inherently a stiffer and better design. Done properly, countersunk bolts work fine; done improperly, they can exercise a splitting force on the body. I have several guitars done both ways, and no problems, but I actually prefer the plate. I'm not building any more, but after reading this thread I think I would countersink a plate!