Is a Horse Dangerous (for children?)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tele-beeb, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

There is no activity which is completely safe, including no activity at all. I grew up around horses, my grandfather was an old stable sergeant from the horse cavalry, and I began sitting on horses around the time I was learning to walk, and riding when other kids were using training wheels on their bikes.

I have fallen off a lot of times, been stepped on, bitten, and kicked. But I have suffered more and worse injuries while riding bicycles.

My 5-year-old takes riding lessons, and enjoys them. She is not as horse-crazy as other girls, but I think that riding horses is a skill which everyone should have, even if it is not very useful.

In my younger days I did a lot of riding, grooming, and mucking out stalls. I also traveled with the rodeo for a couple years. It was an important part of my life.

2. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Cowboy Up

Tele-beeb and ndcaster like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

What are you a lizard?

Your finger grew back ?

All seriousness though sorry about the accident

Wildcard_35, Tele-beeb and Torren61 like this.
  4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

we have noticed reptilian qualities.

Tele-beeb, FLHT and Fretting out like this.
  5. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Damn, I haven't been able to think of anything else since you posted that.

Tele-beeb, Fretting out and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

This reminds me of why my grandfather didn’t follow in the dairy farm tradition like a horse it’s a 7 days a week job and takes a lot of commitment I think jvin248 has a very good answer here with going to a stable and taking lessons , just enough to know what your getting into and maybe like he says stick around so you see all the work that goes into it the other 90% of the time when they aren’t being ridden

I think this is a question that needs a lot of pondering maybe as much so as asking “should we have another child?” As you will now be responsible for another living being

Wildcard_35 and Tele-beeb like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

There's something there, you just can't get anywhere else. I'm not a real cowboy, but horsing around, now that's a different thing altogether.

Tele-beeb, tery and getbent like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

A neighbor's 7 year old daughter permanently lost a kidney from getting kicked by her "new" horse. That said, I think as long as the child is mature enough to learn some valuable safety and respect lessons around horses, it becomes more like riding a bicycle across a heavy traffic street on the way to school. It really is about education and lots of early supervision.

Tele-beeb and Milspec like this.
  9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think you just gave the answer we were all trying to give, but without your brevity. That really is it, most kids approach unknown animals like they would their family dog without realizing the threat. As long as they are taught well, they will be safe.....well, as safe as one can be dealing with a 1,000 lb animal when you might only weigh 75 lbs.

Tele-beeb and Obsessed like this.
  10. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I don’t have a horse but some kid & horse tales:

1. Back in the late 1950s-early 1960s we kids used to ride our bikes to the N side of town where several old farms kept horses. We’d knock on the door and ask if we could go look at their horses. They invariably said “Sure!” so we’d enter the corral and pet them and finally jump on ‘em by grabbing their mane and ride. A few horses bucked one of us off but most didn’t and would settle down after racing around a bit. We were young with no fear of horses and I think the animals sensed that.

2. In the early 1980s we lived outside of town and one day my ~11 YO son came back after hanging out for a few hours with a friend. He said they’d ridden their bikes down to my Uncle Roger’s farm. I asked what they did and he said Roger & family weren’t home but there was a nice black horse out back. They found some tack (!) and ended up leading the horse around for awhile, then took turns riding it around the corral. After some words with my son about obtaining permission etc I called Roger to apologize for my kid’s rudeness. My Aunt Lois answered and said “They rode that stallion??? Nobody’s been able to ride him; he’s not even broke yet”! Now my son had been around some horses but not that much. That horse surely sensed the kids confidence + lack of bad intent IMO.

So I don’t think a horse is necessarily “dangerous for a kid”. That said, I know riders of vastly more experience (and immeasurably more skill) than me who’ve been hurt, sometimes by a horse balking at a jump. My BIL has three horses and has been stepped on and backed into a stall by them. His first wife was a very good rider and I believe she was hurt pretty badly in one fall. You can certainly get hurt.

I’m a very long way from the “horse life” and haven’t ridden in many years. I do take a bunch of grandkids to the county fair each summer and one condition of me spending a few billion $ on rides, games and fair food is that they tour the horse stalls with me. 4H is pretty big around here and I want the “city kids” to see that other kids nearby do raise, train, ride and show horses with love and pride...plus I want to see my favorite part of the fair!

Tele-beeb likes this.
  11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I have been thrown, stepped on and rolled over by horses, but I also learned responsibility by taking care of the horses before I took care of myself and also put into practice the old saying about getting back on the horse. Wouldn't change a thing. Sadly now as an adult, for somereason I have a terrible allergy to horse dander and on the rare occasion that we hire horses and go for a ride, I have to get doped up on benedryl right as soon as we are done.

Tele-beeb, Stubee and Owenmoney like this.
  12. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

When I was a kid we had Apple, an almost un- rideable ex- race horse. He was fast! He'd kick you over the barn roof if you got behind him.

Get him in deep water, you could hang any number of kids off his tail and mane.

That horse loved water.

We had Dutchess, an old Morgan mare. We could rely on Dutchess to find her way home on a pitch black night.

Couple punks were robbing the summer cabin down the road one night. Dutchess stopped and wouldn't go until The Old Man noticed a lit cigarette moving around inside the house. To make a long story short, The Old Man foiled that robbery.

Lost Dutchess to equine encephalitis.

Just plain lost Apple. We were free range. Most of our critters came back most of the time.

Buy the kid a mini- bike instead. Most kids don't understand the work and commitment involved.

tery, Tele-beeb and stormsedge like this.
  13. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Horses are living creatures, they are prey animals who know they are on the menu. They have extremely refined sense of know that they should flee, kick or do whatever is necessary to stay alive. So YES, they are I inherently dangerous to the uninformed. Even experienced horsemen and horsewomen can get seriously hurt. Parents who aren’t familiar with horses need to know that a horses first instinct is to react, which means bite, kick, Buck or run. In any order the horse perceives to be his best option.
    Becoming a skilled horseman or horsewoman is a lifetime endeavor best learned from a skilled person with a lot of quality skills. There are no licenses required to own or operate a horse. A pilot needs flight training, a driver needs driver education, but any fool can buy a horse.
    Tread carefully, your life may depend on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wildcard_35, tery, Tele-beeb and 2 others like this.
  14. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Sure can be!

Just had a friend--very experienced around horses--get kicked so hard it badly bruised her liver. (Alarm bells quake every whiskey-cupping hand on TDPRI's deck!) The horse was aiming at her teen kid, also experienced with horses, but missed, as her kid was the one approaching it.

Even a calm horse can kill you if you're not careful. (Hate to whisper it, but remember Christopher Reeves?) Some develop a sudden intolerance for small things around them, as dogs and other animals may as they age/don't see as well/get creaky.

I'd get my own kids horses if I could afford all that. They're beautiful, fascinating animals. But you sure gotta be much more careful than you might assume. No offense, but asking the question suggests that the learning curve has some way to go--like me asking about what can zap me in an amp's guts....

Wildcard_35, Tele-beeb and Owenmoney like this.
  15. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Holic

I cant even begin on my stories, good and bad without pointing out that proper care of a horse requires SEVERAL HOURS of attention EVERY day, 24/7. Some of it not very much fun. And space. Lots of it.

Danger? Yeah! They can be good or bad characters. Ive been around horses that were a pleasure to be around. Easy to ride, calm and fantastic! And Ive been around sneaky beasts that give you the "side eye", slowly shifting and plotting until you are in range for a good and potentially deadly kick to the head. Horses so evil they should be put down!

I concluded at an early point that if a dirt bike throws me, it was my fault.
    Horses have a mind of their own, and that isnt always good.

Lessons, proven horse, under someone elses care. For the experience? Yeah, maybe. Respecting the potential dangers. Give a kid a horse? Almost never a good outcome IMO.

Tele-beeb and Owenmoney like this.
  16. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

In reality the only bombproof horse is a dead horse. I’ve seen too many thirty year old, dead quiet horses go boom when one thing startles them, even just a green head fly can turn mr lazy ole horse into a bucking bronc

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Wildcard_35 and Tele-beeb like this.
  17. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Wrangler butts drive me nuts ! Well my wife’s does !

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Tele-beeb likes this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

great sharing!

a great horseman taught me that getting to ride a horse is a gift from the horse. At any time, they could decide the ride is over and toss you... even a 200 lb man is nothing to a horse. Horses who become yours or come to know you, will be willing to let you ride and a rider has to respect that and grateful for the ride.

Wildcard_35, tery, Tele-beeb and 2 others like this.
  19. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

this thread needs more pictures

E1EFCD1F-F958-4A2B-AC6B-E46034DA84CB.jpeg

A0F25FFB-2602-415A-AE6B-241DCDE04397.jpeg

big smile there

tery, Tele-beeb, stormsedge and 2 others like this.
  20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

one of these maybe?...:D

[​IMG]

tery and Tele-beeb like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.