Is a Horse Dangerous (for children?)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tele-beeb, Dec 8, 2019.

1. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think I was seven years old the only time I ever got on a horse. I fell off. Not the horse's fault; it was just standing there. I wasn't hurt, but I was never interested in getting back on. Never.

Tele-beeb and Milspec like this.
  2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

They're animals. At any given time something could piss them off or startle them.

If you're going to have horses. You need to spend time with them. Training, riding and in general handling them.

Horses are a commitment. You have to respect them too.

They need to trust you as much as you expect to trust them.

I grew up around horses, we currently own four of the hay burners. We're down from seven. Three of the four we've had since day one.

I trust our horses only because we put in the time with them.

My wife and I are in our sixties. We still trail ride and she barrel races.

Under the assumption you're thinking about a horse for a young person. Do you or someone close have experience with horses? Find a good trainer if you don't.

Is there a riding club near you? Ask around for referrals on a "good" trainer. Too many wannabe trainers out there.

I would caution against a Shetland pony. They are generally some of the most common mistakes you could make for a child. They're small and look cute, don't be fooled.

Animals teach responsibility. I've spent many enjoyable hours with our horses. But, I repeat, it's a commitment.

3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

No (maybe for city folks).

janea69 and Tele-beeb like this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You could get them a worn out miniature pony and tell them its a baby horse.

[​IMG]

Tele-beeb and tery like this.
  5. Kelleycaster

Kelleycaster TDPRI Member

Not as dangerous as an IPhone.

6. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

I've been around horses all through my adolescence and adulthood.

I agree with what everyone else pretty much says. Depends on the children, their supervision, their experience, the horse, its role, the setting.....

Too many variables for a straight up/down answer

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I know a child (5) who died from a broken neck from falling off a horse.
    I guess the horse itself wasn't any more dangerous than a playground slide the same height...either one is a long fall.
    I also knew a VERY experienced competitive rider who fell WITH her horse and was killed.
    Given the choice, I'd put my kid on a dirt bike without having to even think about it.
    I also live near a lot of horsey money...Devon horse show, etc. and the whole money/class thing really chafes me.

Tele-beeb and Owenmoney like this.
  8. vid1900

vid1900 Tele-Meister

I don't see why it would be.

_gallery-image.aspx.jpg

Tele-beeb and SPUDCASTER like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

How old is the child? I have friends that wont let their 14yo kids make their own way to school. I was sledding down steep sided creeks on rusty car hoods when I was 5yo and riding motorbikes not long after that. My parents did get me a tetanus injection to protect me. It would have probably been more unhealthy to sit at home on a computer all day for fear of injury.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Tele-beeb and RodeoTex like this.
  10. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

So long as you stew it for long enough, it should be fine.

11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Many equestrians use the term “bomb-proof” to refer to a very calm and well ridden horse. You want this for a small child. Our daughter started on a pony that never spooked and always remained calm. You need to find an experienced horse that a little kid is outgrowing. If you buy the right horse everything will be fine.

14 years later.......

[​IMG]

A wise old farmer once said......”Beware pets that eat while you sleep”. Kidding. Horses are beautiful.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

a horse is dangerous to children.

when I was 3, my grandparents bought me a pony. they would put me on the pony and let it go. this was supposed to keep me occupied while they went about farmwork. I never got injured very bad. once he stepped on my foot and sprained my ankle. another time, he ran me up in a barbwire fence and cut my foot up, requiring stitches. but the pony daycare scheme really met it's end the day he took off up the middle of the tobacco crop, tearing leaves off and knocking tobacco plants over. this was beyond the pale.

it all depends on the horse. some are real gentle, some are wild. anyone of them can hurt you. you can have a gentle horse that one day decides to kick your head off, for no discernable reason.

Wildcard_35 and Tele-beeb like this.
  13. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

We have 4 at home, and the competition horse stabled at the training facility. Yes, they are dangerous in the sense that they are "flight" animals that weigh 1200 lbs and up. Different things set them off (blowing tarp, wind up the hind end, etc), and once spooked, they take a while to calm down.

It's a long-term passion, not a hobby-level interest. IMG_2070 (1).JPG IMG_3612.JPG

Tele-beeb and tery like this.
  14. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

There is a chap joke in there but I'm stayin' for the rest of the year!

Tele-beeb likes this.
  15. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Im around them everyday. They are unpredictable, they are animals after all

Tele-beeb and Owenmoney like this.
  16. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

I grew up on a farm with usually around 30 head of horse and mules. Spent my youth summers driving a team of mules mowing or raking hay most every day. They are just as dangerous as anything else... knowledge, experience, and most of all a respect for what you are doing is what keeps you out of trouble.

My 12 year-old daughter and a 20 year-old nag taking a break from the trials of the day!
    BBD46ACD-BB84-436F-AF4A-42899F9C91C1.jpeg

17. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I grew up next to a horse ranch and my family both owned a few as well as boarded others for some folks in the area. Is a horse dangerous for kids? Depends on the breed and the empathy of the kid involved.

Like any animal, there are intelligent breeds and there are morons. An Appaloosa is a good breed and a mustang (even if just part mustang) is nothing but trouble. We owned a full mustang and one that was a cross-breed and they both made our lives a living hell. My kid sisters wanted the Mustangs so that is what my folks bought them, but it was me and my brothers that spent a lot of late nights chasing them down after they broke out of the stables. It was the cross-breed that broke 4 of my ribs while I was saddling up the Appaloosa in the barn.

The other factor (probably the most important one) is the empathy of the child. I got along great with most of the horses and so did one of my sisters, but they all hated my Father and would take after him if he came near the barn. Same was true for one of my sisters yet I have no idea why in either case. I still remember seeing my Father get thrown about 10 feet into air while we were just on slow ride. One moment we were just in a casual walk when that horse (yes, the mustang) just took off into a full sprint. I was trying to chase it down on the Appy when the mustang just pulled to a sudden stop and threw my Father. My Father was always very kind to the animals but he was not a country person and grew up in Boston around hot rodded cars, I think the horses just didn't care for city folk.

Horses can be very loyal and gentle, but they are also big, heavy, and VERY strong so they can do a lot of damage if they want to. Just like people, a big giant can be gentle or they can be a dick and the really dumb ones can hurt you without even wanting to. Horses are the same way.

Wildcard_35 and Tele-beeb like this.
  18. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

And then there is the feeding and care of the beast. Horses are not a low maintenance animal like a dog or cat. Feed, vet bills, fencing, corrals, tack, trailer........

No way you could talk me into it.

Wildcard_35, Tele-beeb and Milspec like this.
  19. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Tele-beeb likes this.
  20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

In my experience, vet assisting with my Grandfather many years ago, many small ponies are often a lot more ornery and mean than full sized horses. But, there are some with very sweet and easy going personalities, perhaps like the one in that photo.

Tele-beeb, Chunkocaster and Owenmoney like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.