Is a Horse Dangerous (for children?)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tele-beeb, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

What experience do you draw on?

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

depends on the kid, the horse and MOSTLY on the adults. Have been around large animals and horses most of my life. Lots of people by horses and treat them as 'sometimes' pets... not good for the horse and probably not the owner either. It is a relationship and a commitment...

If someone has a dog that is untrained and just kind of 'living' with them rather than an active member of the family with roles and responsibilities... a horse could be very dangerous.

My kids couldn't commit the time or focus on animals because of sports and school commitments, so they didn't get their own. Also, a kid has got to want to ride and care for the animal and work with it... if that passion isn't there, again, it can be dangerous and create fear in animal and kid (not good for either)....

But, if it is their dream and you have the ability to stay on that kid to take care of the animal and commit to it... it is awesome and among the best relationships they'll ever have.

'if it is just 'she's a good girl, loves her mama, loves horses and..' stuff... take her riding or to a dude ranch and see if it gets more serious....

If you get into dressage and fancy stuff... it is big dough and if you get into barrel racing or rodeo, you'll never be home...

man, I miss the black fences of Kentucky!

ukepicker, NewKid, Tele-beeb and 10 others like this.
  3. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

My gf is an equestrian competitor and has finished Tevis. She has been injured numerous times many of those coming from simply taking a leisurely ride, not a competition.
    Everyone will have a different take on this but it’s sort of like having a motorcycle accident, they tend to be pretty bad when they occur.

4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

horse owner here, a quarter with a little paint

it really depends on the horse

for kids, you want an old trail horse

5. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Kids are made outta rubber, some of my fondest memories growing up are trail rides with my cousins. Our poor Queensland had her front teeth kicked out though, and our neighbor kid broke his arm (not at our place) so like everything comes with a risk. I feel safer around horses than turkey fryers:)

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That's a pretty broad question. Any conveyance introduced into a child's life without adequate supervision and training is dangerous. My younger son was bitten by a horse when he was a small boy, that other children were petting and riding for no apparent reason. My brother in law who was a roper and horse trainer, once got a horse in trade that he thought he'd really got a good deal on, only to find out that anyone who mounted the horse was immediately treated to a run a way ride. Worse, the horse would head for a tree automobile, or building, and when he was ALMOST to the object go into a full slide and dump the rider into the object. Kids ride horses every day, but they should be trained to ride, and how to handle them. Another biting episode. A fellow I worked with when he was showing off his horse to his girl friend, the horse reached out an bit her on the chest. This did not improve the relationship with either the boyfriend or the horse.

7. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

My wife is a bonafide horse whisperer - that is, actually studied with the old cowboys. One of her teachers was Buck Brannaman - the dude that the story was (loosely) based on. Although, as Buck puts it, "There's only one horse whisperer, and that's Robert Redford."

Horses are damn dangerous, for kids or adults. The rider needs at least as much training as the horse, and ideally, they should be trained together. There's a ton of misconception about what constitutes a safe, well-trained horse, but just putting somebody on a horse with no preparation, could go sideways, even with a well trained horse.

If you're thinking of buying a horse for a kid, you really need to know about its training - and the kid needs to work with the horse's trainer to learn how the horse was taught to understand communications from humans. As an important side note - the majority of horse "trainers" really don't know what they are doing, unfortunately.

All that said, learning to really understand and communicate with a horse is a very rewarding and character-building experience for a kid - you just gotta find the right teacher.

Wildcard_35, Tele-beeb, scook and 2 others like this.
  8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of people grow up with horses, so they're just part of life like driving a car or learning to ride a bike for some.

As for me, I've gone riding three times - each time I got on a horse all I could think is this thing is huge and powerful, and could easily kill me. They're not for me.

Tele-beeb, jman72 and Fretting out like this.
  9. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Horses are dangerous for anyone, several of our friends have been injured in falls or kicks, my wife doesn't ride anymore which I am kind of thankful for (her decision not mine).

Horses are unpredictable, with that comes risk.

10. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was riding my friend's horse when i was in my 20s. The beast started bucking because he didn't want to be ridden. The reins wrapped around my left ring finger and snapped it when he thrust his head down. The finger rotated when it grew back. Makes a tight grouping of a D chord impossible. I still play but I played better pre-horse incident.

Tele-beeb, DrPepper and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

I wasn't going to say this earlier cause I didn't want to rattle any chains but, I wouldn't let my kids ride somebody's "pet horse". I was raised to think of horses and dogs to a certain extent as tools... as in they have a job and like any tool they need to be kept sharp, oiled, and maintained. It sounds terrible to some but, to me showing too much affection towards any animal is a double edged sword not really good/safe for you or the animal. My grandfather didn't like anyone talking to or touching his dogs and horses. I didn't understand why then but, I know now.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Tele-beeb, Fiesta Red and Owenmoney like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

My brother in law is a genuine cowboy, he'd never let one of his kids, or anyone on a horse without both training, and knowing the horse and his habits. I have ridden horses a number of times, and used to ride them during the course of my hunting with hounds in the high country during bear season. I never cared for using a horse when hunting bear, but got involved with a group who did. A horse fell on a guy when he rode the horse onto some rocks one night. I had to strap him onto a horse and rode out with his horse trailing mine to where our vehicles were staged, then took him to the hospital in Lake Isabella a town down below where we were hunting. He eventually recovered but I'm pretty sure he was done with horses. When I lived on the farm in Alabama as a child, I rode if it was too far to walk on one of our horses while my old man rode the other. I didn't care much for it then, and I wouldn't now. Though I've ridden enough to get along with a horse, I'm no horseman, far from it. I look at a horse as kind of a taxi with legs.

Tele-beeb, ndcaster and Torren61 like this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Find a riding stable and pay for lessons. Hire out a horse for a day any time the kid wants to ride. Even if its several hundred dollars a day to ride you and the kid will have a better experience at it. Get them a job at a farm mucking stalls, that will cure the interest level. Kid's attention span wanes. A horse will live for 30 years. You will still be taking care of the horse after the kids move to college then on to their first jobs and maybe families of their own. Vet bills. Blacksmith shoe bills. Do you have a place to store all the hay and straw plus grain?

If you have a functional need for a horse like checking fences on the thousand acre ranch then maybe a quad ATV is a better option. People get bucked, kicked, bitten, and stepped on. Sometimes several of those injuries at once.

I grew up on a farm and had a couple of horses along with all the other menagerie of animals. It all seems cute and fun and idyllic from the outside. We once had a woman stop by who wanted to buy a baby pig and her 12yo-ish kids kept asking why the pig didn't say "oink?".

It's romantic to get a kid a pony for the holidays ... but it's very problematic.

Perhaps ... get them an acoustic guitar and tell them when they can play and sing all the old movie cowboy songs you'll get them a pony, and a guitar with level frets ;)

14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I know nothing about horses. But I worked for an old woman who had a lot of experience. She and her husband were great horse lovers, had several horses, and did some kind of competition show riding, back in the 50s and 60s. Her husband was killed by one of his favorite horses - it crushed him to death against the wall of the stable. I don't know if a horse would do that on purpose. But they are big and heavy, and therefore dangerous... even to those who are very familiar and at ease with handling them.

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

+1000 on a good trainer

no trainer, no horse. period.

we were lucky to find one. she has become a member of our family. safety is her first priority. she trained our daughter to share her sensitivity and command. my daughter has matured beautifully under her trainer's example.

as others have said well, horses have brains and can be unpredictable if spooked. they are sensitive to your mood. if you have a loud unruly kid, you are asking for trouble

a horse can kill your kid in an instant

be careful in everything

16. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I grew up having a few on our place and having other family friends with them. Horse are big, strong, athletic animals that can have moments of panic and stupidity and can hurt or kill fully grown adults. The answer that logically follows is that horses certainly can be dangerous for kids.

Horses kick (they will kick people they generally know and interact with well out of fear or uncertainty), they can get scared and buck a rider, and they can drag riders. For the younger kids, ponies are probably less likely to do a lot of damage. Horses can hurt people as bad or worse in a stall while being fed, groomed, etc. It is prudent for adults to supervise young kids with horses during those times as well. There is a lot to know in learning the general things about horses and then learning individual horses.

Even very experienced people make mistakes in handling horses and get hurt by those that are "gentle". A friend incurred a serious jaw break and medical problem from a relatively gentle gelding he had owned and worked all the horse's life. He got behind the horse and apparently spooked him. Whose fault was it? The pain, surgeries, lost time in bed, lost productivity and income, etc. were all hard on him.

Wildcard_35, Tele-beeb and Owenmoney like this.
  17. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Horses are also highly dangerous to parents' financial accounts. ;);)

18. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Dangerous depends on your definition, but they ain’t toys or lap dogs.
    I used to spend some summer time on a farm, the youngest horse (named Mischief) likes to bite, and step on your toes. No joke for an outdoorsy teenager.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  19. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

I don't know about horses, but I know how I'd answer if someone asked this question about dogs.

If you have the proper experience/training, then the level of threat a dog poses on your family is pretty low. But if you are asking the question, it likely means you need to spend a LOT of time and thought on getting properly trained in how to understand and communicate with such an animal. I'd advocate a slow and cautious approach.

20. Toto'sDad

One thing is for certain, them women's wranglers fit the best on a woman who rides daily.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.