Is a 2ohm speaker suitable for 4ohm champ clone?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Chunkocaster, Feb 15, 2020 at 6:20 AM.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I recently purchased a 8" speaker for my champ clone and it arrived dented and warped so i'm back to looking for a suitable speaker. I have found a 2ohm alnico vintage speaker local and wondering if it would be suitable to use on the 4ohm output? The speaker currently has a line transformer mounted on it rated at something like 500ohms. I would want to remove that and run the speaker on its 2 ohm rating.

Would there be any negatives to doing this?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 7:14 AM
  2. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

It wont be as loud, the tone may be thinner and may or may not work the tubes a little harder.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Thanks, that doesn't sound ideal. Might be better for home but would be a problem if I wanted to play out with it. It also just occurred to me that it would limit me in being able to use a second cab with it.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Put a 1 or 2 ohm 5w resistor in series with it. As a temporary expedient it will work ok. Does it say 2 ohm on it anywhere or is that what DC resistance you measure? If it measures 2 ohm, it's probably actually 4ohm impedance.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Its best to match things, keeps the ot and tubes happy

PhredE and Chunkocaster like this.
  6. Chunkocaster

The easy to source cheap options keep on eluding me.:)
    Bummer, looked like a nice fit for this amp if not for the oddball ohms.
    1960 alnico rola speaker 15 mins drive away.:rolleyes:

7. Chunkocaster

It says 2ohms on the basket, then had that chunk of transformer on it with 500ohms printed on it. I sent the guy a message, hopefully he gets back to me. He can test it as he mentions having many vintage speakers and amp parts etc that are not listed. If this one doesn't work out hopefully he has something more suitable but ebay is in the middle so hard to get his contact details to see what he has. I'd prefer an 8ohm speaker so I have the option to run a second 8 ohm cab with it using the stock speaker that's currently in the amp. If it is 4 ohms I can live with that and just run a vintage 30 8 ohm cab by itself if I need a bit more volume.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 8:28 AM
  8. Dacious

I wouldn't run a Champ with anything but a 4ohm load unless you have multiple taps on the output transformer - being SE you're already running it at 100%+ rated dissipation for 6V6s in a champ.

The good thing about cathode biasing in a se amp is it tends to be self-limiting in terms of power draw. Running into higher load is going to affect its frequency response but also possibly cause flyback and arcing - not good for transformers.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

This amp is the joyo champ clone, has both 4 and 8ohms options. Came fitted with a 8ohm celestion 8/15. I ordered a weber 8ohm sig ceramic 8" for it but it arrived beat up with a warped basket, dented frame. I was after a more vintage voiced speaker to try with it or mix with the stock celestion. Sticking with 8ohms seems the easiest and cheapest option if I want to mix or add speakers. Its currently got a Russian nos 6v6gt and a nos jan phillips 5y3 in it.
    I haven't bothered to test the bias yet. Seems to sound and play the same with the new tubes fitted, the 12ax7 change to jj did brighten it up a little, not sure I like it and will try the stock again. After changing to the jj I also added the 22uf cap which gave more volume.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 9:01 AM
  10. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have an 8 ohm Jensen P8R in a 5F1 clone. Sounds great in mine. Might be a suitable replacement for your Joyo.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

I considered the Jensen and was looking at them today, the Jensen is the cheapest delivered option for me other than finding vintage. The stock celestion that came in this amp is cheaper but is ceramic and no point in me buying another the same. A few negative reviews online prevented me looking at the Jensen. Reviews vary depending on personal taste too so maybe I would like the 8" alnico Jensen.

The beauty of vintage is I get to try and sell for little to zero loss if I don't like it. If I keep trying new speakers the cost could add up fast.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 9:15 AM
    hdvades likes this.
  12. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yup, don't like spending anymore than necessary either. Had someone who infrequently lurks here build one to my liking and that's what he installed.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. Chunkocaster

I have to stop myself from getting carried away as this was a $200 buck amp. I won't get my money back on whatever I spend on it but its fun to experiment with it and I already liked the sound of it. So far I have liked the results of the small changes I've made to it at low cost and I cant imagine selling it anyway. I also ordered a paint by numbers turret board for $29 bucks and will work towards possibly replacing the printed circuit board or building another champ clone from parts.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 12:47 PM
  14. Dacious

Ok, I was thinking you might have built one.

I you stick the 5Y3 in you'll give yourself a bit more safety margin. The Joyo seems well made judging by my friend's unit.

I'd have a go at fixing the Weber myself.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

The guy has been a pain over the weber, told me he was shipping a replacement, no tracking after a week so I contacted him and he ignored messages. Then after opening up a return claim he immediately reappears and uses a cheque with a week wait to clear for refund. That will make it one month since I purchased. :rolleyes:
    I might still have to claim via ebay guarantee by the looks of it as I left negative feedback and he can still cancel the payment. I'm pretty sure he shipped the damaged speaker knowingly because the boxes were mint. The rola guy replied and it's rated at 7 watts 2 ohms so I will give that a miss. I asked for updates if he has any 8ohm alnico 50s or 60's speakers over 15 watts. Will wait and see what he comes up with. I'd like to check this guys gear out as he could be a good contact to have for future purchases.

I installed the 5y3 and didn't notice much difference in sound or feel.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 9:26 PM
  16. Dacious

You don't need a 15 watt speaker for the amp. Celestion recommends RMS rating of speaker matches the amp. To me over-speakering is like putting 20" wheels on a Corolla. Total waste.

If you push a lot of square wave through a 10 watt amp you can blow a 100 watt speaker with it.

The 5Y3 will drop By+ by 20-30 volts, which will give the tubes a slightly easier time. You might notice earlier breakup.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. Chunkocaster

I noticed no change in breakup with the 5y3. The day after installing it I installed the 22uf cap and now the amp is louder and breakup appears to have just shifted up along with the volume increase. Might have made breakup start at 8 instead of 9 on the volume knob. Hard to say just yet because it's been too late to turn up that loud when ive been using it since the changes. The 7 watt rating might be cutting it a little fine considering the ohm miss match and age of the speaker. If it was cheaper and i didnt have to remove the transformer i'd be tempted to give it a go. I will occasionally be using a fuzz and pedals in front when playing at close to max volume.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 10:30 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.